PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I need help installing a DVD Burner

xjc
02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi, I recently purchased the 16x Dual Format DVD recorder from Memorex (Drive is internal). I have gotten it in place, and all the cords (power supply, and IDE/Ribbon Cable. The jumper on my drive is set to the default, as CS, my other disc drive is also set to CS, it was shipped that way. When I turn on my computer it goes a black screen, and lets me choose how I want to start windows, and change my settings (They are all set correctly). When I choose Start Windows Like Regular, the screen with "Microsoft XP HOME EDITION" appears, it all loads. Then the screen goes black, I have waited 20 minutes, but it stays black. I checked to see if it was my monitor, but the monitor was not the problem. If I reboot, it takes me back to the screen that asks me the way I would like to start windows. If I do safe mode, everything loads perfectly, and the drives are installed in the "My Computer" section. Baisacally, my question is, what am I doing wrong? The IDE port on the motherboard isn't fried of course. Why wont windows load if it isnt in safe mode, but will run regularly if the IDE Ribbon is disconnected from its motherboard port. Please get back to me ASAP, I really appreciate your service!

Graham L
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

To use CS you must have a CS cable. ;) I'm not surprised that the disk works when it was the only drive on the cable. There's no possibility of a collision like that.

Unless your cable has Master and Slave markings on two of the connectors, it's probably a "standard" IDE cable with all the wires present. A CS cable has one wire cut so the drives can sort out who's who. If all the wires are present on both drives, CS won't work. Try setting the drives to MA and SL.

xjc
02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
It still goes to the black screen and stays there.

xjc
02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
YAY! It boots up now!!! But when I open my computer, the disks dont show. So I went into device manager, and they werent on the list. What do I do now?

bartsdadhomer
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
disconnect one of them and see if the other shows in My Computer and Device manager
Then try the other one on it's own

pctek
02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
When I turn on my computer it goes a black screen, and lets me choose how I want to start windows, and change my settings (They are all set correctly). When I choose Start Windows Like Regular, the screen with "Microsoft XP HOME EDITION" appears, it all loads. Then the screen goes black, I have waited 20 minutes, but it stays black. I checked to see if it was my monitor, but the monitor was not the problem. If I do safe mode, everything loads perfectly, and the drives are installed in the "My Computer" section.
What else did you do apart from install the new drive? It sounds like there might be a driver problem, go into windows without the drive connected and delete the IDE controller and whatever CD/DVD device in shows there. Then reboot and try again.
To clarify, 80 pin IDE cables will do CS. 40 usually won't.

xjc
02-07-2005, 05:52 PM
It still doesnt work... thanks for your help, further help is greatly appreciated!!!

*Starts to die a little on the inside*

pctek
02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Ok. It would have come with a new IDE cable. Well all the ones I get do....Try the new drive as Master on the secondary IDE port using the new cable. IF you didn't get a new cable go and buy one. Or borrow one, whatever.
Then see if its picked up in the BIOS first. Then if it is, boot to windows and see if windows now sees it.

If not seen at all, try it in another PC.

You are going to have to see which is causing the problem by a process of elimination.

xjc
03-07-2005, 05:05 AM
It still doesnt work!!! I am so frustrated!!! I have already stripped 2 IDE Ribbons by accident! I need some help! Anyone know a free PHONE tech support?

Prescott
03-07-2005, 06:59 AM
well PF1 would be nearly just the same service as a phone tech support line. it seems that you cant solve the problem you are having with your computer, bring it to your local pc shop and get them to have a look at it.

Myth
03-07-2005, 10:41 AM
OK from the top:

Did your new drive come with a cable? If so.. use it. If not go to DSE and ask for 80-wire IDE cable (with 3 connections)
At the back of the 2 CD/DVD drives are the jumpers .. set your new drive to MA, and the older drive to SL.
Connect the 2 drives with the IDE cable... the cable should have 3 connectors 2 are reasonably close together, one is further away. The one thats furthest away connects to the motherboard, the MA drive connects at the other end, and the SL drive connects in the middle.
When the computer boots up, are they detected in BIOS? If not go into CMOS (usually you press either F2 or DEL to get there) and make sure theat are enabled. They should be set as AUTOdetect

If they are detected in BIOS, are they detected in device manager? If not you may have unconnect the drives from the motherboard, boot to Windows, and uninstall the CD/DVD drives (which hopefully will get rid of the registry settings for the drives as well).

Last question... what kind of power supply do you have? Wattage etc

bartsdadhomer
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Just found this excellent howto if you're still having problems
http://netscape.com.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html?tag=ft

xjc
04-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Ok, when I go into BIOS it says its connected. But when I select "Start Windows Normally" it does the thing with Windows XP Home Edition, with the loading bar. It loads, and then the screen goes black. To tell you the truth, so for some reason the place where the log in screen is is all black. In all essence, the computer did start up normally, it just wont show me the stupid log in screen.

bartsdadhomer
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Might be time for a trip to a reputable repair shop and get them to sort it out