PDA

View Full Version : Torrent problem

Mike
02-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm trying to download something via a torrent, and I've got to 90.45% completed and there it has stayed for a couple of days. Nothing that unusual (a fairly large file that has so far taken a couple of weeks to get to 90%), except that I have now noticed that there is now nobody downloading it off me anymore... What is this telling me? That everyone out there with this file only has 90.45% of it and are waiting for someone with the complete file to offer the torrent? Or is there some issue involved?

I have had in the last couple of days a virus on my computer (unrelated to this file) that caused a number of minor issues that I have fixed, however it seems a bit too much of a coincidence that my torrent seemed to stop about the same time as I got the virus.

So... How difficult might it be for me to uninstall/reinstall my torrent program (Shareaza) without killing the download altogether so that I can continue (hopefully) the download from where it is now after the reinstall?

Thanks,
Mike.

PS If I don't get any replies before tomorrow, you may not hear from me until Wednesday or Thursday as I have to go to Christchurch for a few days from tomorrow.

vinref
02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm trying to download something via a torrent, and I've got to 90.45% completed and there it has stayed for a couple of days. Nothing that unusual (a fairly large file that has so far taken a couple of weeks to get to 90%), except that I have now noticed that there is now nobody downloading it off me anymore... What is this telling me? That everyone out there with this file only has 90.45% of it and are waiting for someone with the complete file to offer the torrent? Or is there some issue involved?

I have had in the last couple of days a virus on my computer (unrelated to this file) that caused a number of minor issues that I have fixed, however it seems a bit too much of a coincidence that my torrent seemed to stop about the same time as I got the virus.

So... How difficult might it be for me to uninstall/reinstall my torrent program (Shareaza) without killing the download altogether so that I can continue (hopefully) the download from where it is now after the reinstall?

Thanks,
Mike.

PS If I don't get any replies before tomorrow, you may not hear from me until Wednesday or Thursday as I have to go to Christchurch for a few days from tomorrow.

I think if the torrent information file (the one ending in ".torrent") is intact, and the partial download is intact, then you can re-install the torrent client all you like and continue from where you left off.

As for the hanging download, it may mean that there is no seed left, but I have never come across a hang this long. What is the file?

Mike
02-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks vinref...

I think I've discovered what's wrong :( I just installed a different torrent program which seems to tell me not just how much I've downloaded, but also how much of the file is available to be downloaded. Unfortunately the amount I've downloaded equals the amount available to be downloaded (90.45%) - nobody has the complete file available to download.

The file I'm trying to download is a made-for-tv movie that was on tv a few weeks ago that my wife saw half of and wants to finish watching... nobody we know had taped it, and she can't find it in any video stores, so I figured I'd download it so she can watch it (and since it's not really worth keeping, I'd then probably nuke it)... didn't figure it'd take this long to download, nor that we'd never get the complete file :)

Mike.

taxboy4
02-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Sorry to piggy back on this problem but i use bitcomet and I bascially used up all my 120GB in 3 dasy from this program, is there a way to restrict downloads / uploads to what I can see on the transfer screen?

THanks

taxboy4
02-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks vinref...

I think I've discovered what's wrong :( I just installed a different torrent program which seems to tell me not just how much I've downloaded, but also how much of the file is available to be downloaded. Unfortunately the amount I've downloaded equals the amount available to be downloaded (90.45%) - nobody has the complete file available to download.

Mike.

Hi Mike, what program are you using now?

Mike
02-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Mike, what program are you using now?I was using Shareaza, but I just installed Azureus...

Mike.

vinref
02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks vinref...

The file I'm trying to download is a made-for-tv movie that was on tv a few weeks ago that my wife saw half of and wants to finish watching... nobody we know had taped it, and she can't find it in any video stores, so I figured I'd download it so she can watch it (and since it's not really worth keeping, I'd then probably nuke it)... didn't figure it'd take this long to download, nor that we'd never get the complete file :)

Mike.

Ah, no seeds. Bummer. I guess you just need to hang out and wait for a seed to show up.

taxboy4
02-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I was using Shareaza, but I just installed Azureus...

Mike.

Do you find that is better?

vinref
02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Sorry to piggy back on this problem but i use bitcomet and I bascially used up all my 120GB in 3 dasy from this program, is there a way to restrict downloads / uploads to what I can see on the transfer screen?

THanks

You need a good client that gives you lots of information about the file to be downloaded, so you can make a decision whether to download the file or not. I don't use Windows clients, so I can't offer any advice as to which client to use.

Greven
02-07-2005, 12:57 PM
You would have to be very unlucky for noone to have the last 10 percent - the way bittorrent works is that all the peers download random parts of the file so that if the seed drops out, they can reconstruct the full file by downloading the different parts the other peers got. The only reason I can think of for your prediciment would be if the seed dropped out before the peers got enough of it between them to reconstruct the file.

vinref
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
You would have to be very unlucky for noone to have the last 10 percent - the way bittorrent works is that all the peers download random parts of the file so that if the seed drops out, they can reconstruct the full file by downloading the different parts the other peers got. The only reason I can think of for your prediciment would be if the seed dropped out before the peers got enough of it between them to reconstruct the file.

What I hear is that the RIAA (or equivalent, or ISPs etc) quickly get to hear about these downloads, and manage to shut them down before too many peers become seeds. Still, this is very unlucky.