PDA

View Full Version : MPEG, MP3 player - Linux

Myth
30-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all, I have been looking online for an mpeg, mpg player for Linux.
I was wondering, what do the Linux people in here use.
I have Totem but was wondering what other players are like (I wish to avoid downloading crappy programs .. thus wasting some of my download limit.

Also, what are the mp3 players like? I use Xmms which seems quite good. Any others you might recommend.
BTW I am running FC4 on the KDE desktop

Just a quick query as far as KDE is concerned, how do you install RPMS.. its different from Gnome (in Gnome you just double click, in KDE that doesn't work)

ILikeLinux
30-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Media Player: Mplayer or Xine
Mp3 / Audio Player: beep-media-player

Sorry I can't help you on rpms, I dont use Fedora nor Kde

johnd
30-06-2005, 10:13 PM
The bottom line is always - do it in the command prompt. As root:

rpm -ivh filename.rpm

will do the job!

Chilling_Silence
01-07-2005, 12:58 AM
kpackage is one application installation manager. There's also yum, and a short while ago (Jen will know the name of it) a yum front-end was mentioned on PF1.

Amarok is quite a nice mp3 player thats recently grown on me enough to replace my Xmms affection.

Now, AFAIK Totem is a Xine front-end. Its Gtk-based, so if you're running KDE it wont look quite right.

Mplayer (if you download it, run the command: gmplayer) is nice, it comes with mencoder to re-encode files, but again its Gtk-based so not ideal.

Kaffeine is another Xine front-end. Looks quite nice, quite slick over-all, worth a look.

VideoLAN Client (VLC) from videolan.org is another option. It's played every media file Ive ever been able to throw at it :) Simple, more similar to Totem than all the others.

Personally I'd say go for Kaffeine and Amarok.

Chill.

Myth
01-07-2005, 10:49 AM
OK, in FC4 how do you get Kaffeine... I have tried yum, apt, synaptic (which will download the xine-libs and then says the keys are wrong), tar.gz (compiled ok.. got to make install and it gave a 'no target' error.

:help:

Myth
01-07-2005, 04:45 PM
edit: nevermind, managed to find the correct gpg-key url for freshrpms for Synaptic.
Kaffeine looks good :D

Thanx