PDA

View Full Version : Help with Partition. URGENT

JJJJJ
29-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I have reformated my hard drive. 40 megs of it is drive C that has win xp installed plus the rest of my software.

BUT how do I get back to the drive to reformat the second half and install on to it?? The windows disk is not much help. All it wants to do is install Windows again.

How am I supposed to know these things?????????????????

Jack

Metla
29-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Right click the "my Computer " icon, click manage,storage,disk management local,right click the unformatted area, select format.

Murray P
29-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Well you could boot Linux CD or a win98 floppy (fdisk) or boot to your Windows disc and choose Repair instead of Install, go to the console and use fdisk or format /driveletter.

I take it you have nothing you want on there?

Murray P
29-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Right click the "my Computer " icon, click manage,storage,disk management local,right click the unformatted area, select format.

He's formated his C drive Met's, but I guess he could reinstall windows and do as you suggest, if it is his intention to put windows back on.

Metla
29-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I figured he has formatted and partitioned, now needs to access the second partition...which hasn't yet been created.

His thread prior to this one was about partitioning......

ah heck, I have read his question through a couple more times and its still all grey to me.

JJJJJ
29-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Sory chaps I thought I had made it very clear.
(1) I removed everything off my hard drive.
(2) I partitioned the drive into two halves.
(3) I formated the primary partition .
(4) I installed win xp and sp2 and more software.
(5) I tidied everything up. And my computer is running well.

Then following Metla's very clear directions I reformated the second half and now have a drive "E" .

NOW how do I install on to drive "E" ???
I will NOT be installing Linux.

I have decided to give MS Flight Simulator a big space all to itself. It wasn't too happy amongst the other software. So I followed some advice I got from another forum.

But how do I install on drive "E" ????????

You've probably guessed that this is my first attempt at partitioning.

Graham L
29-06-2005, 02:40 PM
If you now format the E partition, you ought to be able to install your flight simulator to it. Installers always (I hope) tell you where they are going to install, and give you the opportunity to change the location.

Murray P
29-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Then following Metla's very clear directions I reformated the second half and now have a drive "E" .

I have decided to give MS Flight Simulator a big space all to itself. It wasn't too happy amongst the other software. So I followed some advice I got from another forum.

Install what Jack, Flight Sim? If so and presuming you've followed Metla's instruction to format the drive so that it has a file system that can be installed to, doesn't Flight Sim give you an option during the setup wizard to choose the installation folder [Browse Button]? If it does use it and browse to your E drive rather than setting up in C.

JJJJJ
29-06-2005, 02:53 PM
MS Flight Sim does not give you any options in the "express" version.
But I tried the custom set up and id does. So at the moment it is busy installing itself.

pctek
29-06-2005, 02:57 PM
The install wizard gets to a screen with the something like following:

The (app/game whatever) will be installed to the following folder:
C:\ProgramFiles\"SWMakersName"\"SWProgrammeName"....

There is a button that says BROWSE or CHANGE depening on the program. Click it, you then see the install path - you can delete it and type in what you like.
For Instance:

E:\Games\FlightSim

And it will create the new folder and install there.

FoxyMX
29-06-2005, 04:10 PM
*Wonders what Jack is up to now...*

JJJJJ
29-06-2005, 05:06 PM
*Wonders what Jack is up to now...*

If you read all the posts you would know.

FoxyMX
29-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I have read them, Jack, but I am still in the dark as to why you wanted to create another partition and install Flight Sim on it.

Graham L
29-06-2005, 05:20 PM
If he didn't keep fixing his computers they might run long enough to get a fault. ;)

FoxyMX
29-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I think the correct term is "Tweak it 'til it breaks". ;)

:D

Billy T
29-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I think the correct term is "Tweak it 'til it breaks". ;) :D

To misappropriate an old saying: "Idle hands are the devil's workshop," and computers just love idle hands.

Sounds a bit like Jack's philosophy is "Fix it worse, then buy another". :eek:

Cheers

Billy 8-{):p

JJJJJ
29-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Well it's all done. Everything installed and working like new. Thanks for the help from all concerned.
And as a matter of interest. MS Flight Sim. runs a lot better on it's own. Much greater clarity and much smoother.
But not as good as on an LCD screen. I've seen the same program on LCD and it's much brighter and clearer.
So I'll have to save my pennies and get a 19 inch LCD.

Thanks again.

Elephant
29-06-2005, 10:33 PM

Well it appears you partioned your hard drive but the second part of it had not been formatted.

Metla gave the right advice that's fine and you are up and running.

Now I am going to put my 2 cents worth in.

You have one hard drive and two partitions?
How many optical drives have you?

When you installed MSFlight Sim from a CD or DVD which drive did you put the media in? AIAI you have one hard drive with two partitions which at the moment are C: and E:

What are the drive letters for the optical drive or drives?

With one hard drive you can create one partition or two in general. Within the second partition on the one physical hard drive you can create one or more logical drives if this is an extended partition rather than primary.

Even with a second physical hard drive you can create an extended partition and have more logical drives.

For example within Windows with ONE physical hard drive of 120 Gigs I could create one 60 Gig partition and create a second extended partition of about 52 Gigs. Within the second partition I can make a number of LOGICAL drives.

If I do that then I will get drive letters like C: for the first partition and following for the second partition which is extended it will be D: E: F: and etc depending on the number of logical drives which were made in the extended partition.

Your optical drive or drives will move up accordingly with a clean install of WindowsXP.

I will not go into FAT32, NTFS or various Linux partitions at this point.

Things become a little more difficult if you have two PHYSICAL hard drives. If you are in this situation you can make the second physical hard drive an extended partition of the first hard drive and put logicaL drives on the second hard drive. If you are in this situation it will rather depend on what you want to do.

At the moment I have two physical hard drives and I use Ghost to make and exact copy of the booting drive to a slave drive.

Myth
29-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Well it appears you partioned your hard drive but the second part of it had not been formatted.

Metla gave the right advice that's fine and you are up and running.

Now I am going to put my 2 cents worth in.

You have one hard drive and two partitions?
How many optical drives have you?

When you installed MSFlight Sim from a CD or DVD which drive did you put the media in? AIAI you have one hard drive with two partitions which at the moment are C: and E:

What are the drive letters for the optical drive or drives?

With one hard drive you can create one partition or two in general. Within the second partition on the one physical hard drive you can create one or more logical drives if this is an extended partition rather than primary.

Even with a second physical hard drive you can create an extended partition and have more logical drives.

For example within Windows with ONE physical hard drive of 120 Gigs I could create one 60 Gig partition and create a second extended partition of about 52 Gigs. Within the second partition I can make a number of LOGICAL drives.

If I do that then I will get drive letters like C: for the first partition and following for the second partition which is extended it will be D: E: F: and etc depending on the number of logical drives which were made in the extended partition.

Your optical drive or drives will move up accordingly with a clean install of WindowsXP.

I will not go into FAT32, NTFS or various Linux partitions at this point.

Things become a little more difficult if you have two PHYSICAL hard drives. If you are in this situation you can make the second physical hard drive an extended partition of the first hard drive and put logicaL drives on the second hard drive. If you are in this situation it will rather depend on what you want to do.

At the moment I have two physical hard drives and I use Ghost to make and exact copy of the booting drive to a slave drive.
Sheesh ... you almost lost me in that speech and I knew what you were talking about :rolleyes:
but thanks for the input :)

Elephant
29-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Sheesh ... you almost lost me in that speech and I knew what you were talking about http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
but thanks for the input http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/smile.gif

Maybe you can pop back to reading your thread about Ubuntu and get advice there about Linux and Root and how do do it without getting killed by Dad. Good luck dual booting.

I was trying to help about Partitioning physical hard drives and putting logical drives within partitions. This is with Windows.

It is not so different. Terminogoly is different at times. The root of a boot drive in Windows is usually C:\ Later model computers if you get into the BIOS can boot off CD, Floppy, HDD0, HDD1 and even usb devices.
Linux drives usually have a forward slash like /

Not trying to be snarkey just trying to help.

On a regular basis I use an operating system like PCDos on a CD with diagnostic tools to test computers.

Nothing wrong with Linux but I don't think it's for everyone.

Jen
29-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I was trying to help about Partitioning physical hard drives and putting logical drives within partitions. This is with Windows.May I ask what made you think Mythix was making a comment about Linux that resulted in this Linux speel from you? To me he was just commenting on your commentary regarding partitioning Windows? There was no need for your sly comments to him about his other thread. Keep it on topic and polite please, if you can't then don't post it.

[edit: If you check that Ubuntu thread it was posted by a different user afterall that ...]

Greg
30-06-2005, 12:23 AM
May I ask what made you think Mythix was making a comment about Linux that resulted in this Linux speel from you? To me he was just commenting on your commentary regarding partitioning Windows? There was no need for your sly comments to him about his other thread. Keep it on topic and polite please, if you can't then don't post it.

[edit: If you check that Ubuntu thread it was posted by a different user afterall that ...]
Stop hitting on Elephant Jen.
He proffers good advice.

(and he's probably Metla's alter ego) :D

JJJJJ
30-06-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks Elephant. Interesting, but I haven't a clue what a "Logical Drive" is.
All I have is one hard disk with two partitions on it . C & E. I didn't name them , that's what windows calls them. And they are both formatted in NTFS.
I also have a CD read/write and a DVD. The CD is still "D". The DVD has nothing. Its not even connected. I have never even seen a dvd so a drive to play one is no use to me.
What is an "optical" drive?

One of the reason for the second partition was to put FS9 into isolation. I had it and numerous other files in different places on "C" and it was getting confusing. But I see that with it on "E" it has still put it's "fs9.cfg" into "my documents" on "C"

Anyway I'm happy, everything works.

Myth
30-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Maybe you can pop back to reading your thread about Ubuntu and get advice there about Linux and Root and how do do it without getting killed by Dad. Good luck dual booting.

I was trying to help about Partitioning physical hard drives and putting logical drives within partitions. This is with Windows.

It is not so different. Terminogoly is different at times. The root of a boot drive in Windows is usually C:\ Later model computers if you get into the BIOS can boot off CD, Floppy, HDD0, HDD1 and even usb devices.
Linux drives usually have a forward slash like /

Not trying to be snarkey just trying to help.

On a regular basis I use an operating system like PCDos on a CD with diagnostic tools to test computers.

Nothing wrong with Linux but I don't think it's for everyone.
LOL... you think during my trip into Linux I have forgotten what happens in Windows?
In my career path, I can't afford to forget what Windows is, as I am an A+ student deciding whether to go into business as a tech. A lot of the issues as a tech revolve around the operating system and the error messages, and being able to decipher them.

Thanks Elephant. Interesting, but I haven't a clue what a "Logical Drive" is. This is what I knew would happen. Your knowledge of partitioning would lose someone in this forum. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as the rest in this forum, it is a help forum, and people who don't really know what they are doing or why there machine is suddenly spitting out error messages; come in here seeking help.

If someone asks what partitioning and logical, active, dynamic, extended, etc etc drives are, then by all means, impart your knowledge and tell them.

For everything there is a time and a place :)

pheonix
30-06-2005, 09:56 AM
The main thing is that Jack is now up and running , that being the point of the post.

And achieved without cutting any pins off it. :D

Metla
30-06-2005, 11:27 AM
(and he's probably Metla's alter ego) :D

Alter ego?..nah, But he is The Wind Beneath my Wings.... :eek: