PDA

View Full Version : User name

Sapperbro
27-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi all,
Tapping into the collective brain, once again.

Have the situation where a Username has been logged in when installing XP Pro. This name only seems to appear whenever installing a new programme, but the owner has had a change of domestic bliss, as you do, and wishes to change the details. Used to be in the Win.ini file under the old systems but who knows where it is now in the XP Pro setup? Where does one go in and permanently change it?

Awaiting the pearls of wisdom.

Cheers,

Sapperbro

Graham L
27-06-2005, 05:40 PM
There will be a "User/password management" page in the Control Panel. You probably won't be able to change a user "name", because that's the identifier of a user account. You can delete an account, but if various things "belong" to it there might be problems.

Metla
27-06-2005, 05:45 PM
You can change the user name easy as (via the CP) though the "my documents " file tree will still retain the same names.

Sapperbro
27-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Thank you Graham, Metla.

Tried through that means. It is significant that the User name that comes up on the application installation is not the same as the Users. The short story is that the guy had two users, him and his partner. His partner is no longer on the scene and the Username comes up with "Him" and "Her", so it seems to be pulling it from another source. Finding that source and changing it has become the problem. Wondering if it is the name of the computer?? Clutching at straws!!

Sapperbro

Capt.Hook
27-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I can change the user name on my computer by going >control panel>user accounts.
Have done this several times.

Hook

bartsdadhomer
27-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Probably using the name/owner used when installing XP rather than a name from a user a/c which may differ from the user account names
You will have to change the registered owner of XP
There is a fix on http://www.dougknox.com/ under the XP utilities section to change the registered owner

But if you have MS Office installed one of 2 things will happen, you may have to reinstall it again with a new "owner details"
It will tell you next time you start it that there has been a change in settings and you must reinstall.
OR
It will run ok but the registration on the splash screen will still use the "previous owners" details.
There is a registry hack to change the registered owner for office if it bugs you so post back if you need details

Sapperbro
28-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Probably using the name/owner used when installing XP rather than a name from a user a/c which may differ from the user account names...

Thank you Homer,
You've gone to the heart of the problem. I would appreciate that reference you offered for Office. Will look at the reference you gave for the XP listing.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Sapperbro

bartsdadhomer
28-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Which version of office do you have installed as it does make a difference how the problem is fixed

Sapperbro
28-06-2005, 12:28 PM
"Homer"
He installed Office 2000 from memory. Downloaded that tweak you gave me. Beautiful in its simplicity. Now included among my Utilities file of bits and pieces. Had a thought, went into Regedit and entered the name in full and told it to search for the whole string. Then F3 took me through all the entries of that name and pulled up the programmes it was linked to. Problem is catching ALL the different sections that install under MS Office so didn't go down that track yet. Comments? Could reinstall Office, doesn't take that long but will want to keep the normal.dot template I set up.
Thanks for your help so far, it has been spot on.
Sapperbro

bartsdadhomer
28-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Back up your registry first!!!
Make sure all office apps are closed including the shortcut bar if open

Open regedit (Start > Run, type in regedit and click ok)

Navigate to the following Key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ Uninstall\{00000409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}]

Change the value of "RegCompany" and "RegOwner" to the required "company" and "user names"

Then navigate to the following key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon]

Rename the sub-key called "UserInfo" to "OldUserInfo"

Close regedit.
The registered company and owner should now be changed on both the splash screen and the About dialog box

Sapperbro
28-06-2005, 11:41 PM
"Homer"
Roger all that.
Will be doing the business on Friday. Will post and let you know how it goes. Many thanks.
Sapperbro