PDA

View Full Version : Can't print off BIOS display.

Randolf
27-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I want to print display pages of BIOS settings. When I press "Print Screen" the printer turns on, makes the usual sounds as though it is going to print, but doesn't. I have tried pressing "Alt" before "Print Screen" but the printer does not respond to this. I have the latest available printer drivers.

I am running Windows 98SE and an HP Deskjet 695C printer, parallel port.

My old Windows 95 used to do this no problem. Am I missing something?

Greg
27-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I doubt it's possible, given that no drivers are loaded when you get into your BIOS.

You could perhaps photocopy the BIOS pages from your motherboard manual and just typex over the settings you changed.

chiefnz
27-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Umm this is just an educated guess but... if you're in the BIOS I don't think you can print the screens as there are no drivers loaded for the printer. I may be wrong but I can tell you from experience that I have seen hardcore overlcockers take digital photos of the BIOS screens presumebely because they cannot be printed.

I may be wrong though.

cheers

chiefnz

Billy T
27-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Take a photograph of each screen then print those.

DON'T use flash, keep room lights off, and try to hold camera very steady. Make sure you have readable results before you change any settings.

Quick and easy solution.

No camera? Pen and paper still work quite well, given the age of the technology. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
27-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Maybe it is some characteristic of the HP printer, maybe the basic print commands from the BIOS are not recognised? I have a dot matrix printer connected to my parallel port and that prints the BIOS screens ok with the Print Screen key.

Edit: Or more likely the commands required for a deskjet inkjet to work are not in the BIOS

pctek
27-06-2005, 02:53 PM
You can use printscreen to print each of the BIOS setup screens. With this method, a parallel printer is required and must be attached to the systems parallel port. A network printer will not work, nor will a USB printer. Within each of the BIOS setup screens, you can press the print screen key on the keyboard (this is actually a BIOS service your calling) and the output of the current screen will be sent to the printer port.

Randolf
27-06-2005, 03:18 PM
You can use printscreen to print each of the BIOS setup screens. With this method, a parallel printer is required and must be attached to the systems parallel port. A network printer will not work, nor will a USB printer. Within each of the BIOS setup screens, you can press the print screen key on the keyboard (this is actually a BIOS service your calling) and the output of the current screen will be sent to the printer port.

As stated in my original posting, I'm doing all these. The only one I didn't mention was networking - and it's not.

bartsdadhomer
27-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Just tried it with my HP Laserjet 6p and it works a treat

Randolf
27-06-2005, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=Billy T]
Pen and paper still work quite well, given the age of the technology.
QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments.

Howevever I don't consider the comments about the age of my system very relevant or helpful.

Billy T
27-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your comments. However I don't consider the comments about the age of my system very relevant or helpful.

Sorry Randolf, my fault entirely, must have been a bit too subtle and I fear you missed the point.

I was actually referring to the age of "pen and paper" technology, not your computer, and it was a serious suggestion. I have used the P&P method myself in pre-digital camera days.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)