PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home (and Professional)

Kaygee
26-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I have, for the first time, transferred photos from digital camera to my p.c. - into a folder in My Documents. I have arranged them in the folder in the order I want them viewed on a CD and just as you would in a photo album. When that was ready I copied them to a CD. But the copying did not copy them in the order I had arranged. The sequence was quite different. Maybe I have done something wrong! Is there some way of copying them within XP in an arranged order or do I need some other software program. Appreciate any help as I want to use this process often.

Rob99
26-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Just before you burn, you get to see the files that are going to be burnt, not sure but could you rearange them there.

The best way would be to rename them all, Windows will rename them all if you select all first and will five the result "filename (1), filename (2)", this works well if you have less than ten files, otherwise it orders them like:
filename (1)
filename (10)
filename (11)
filename (12)
filename (19)
filename (2)
filename (20)
filename (21)

I would sugest you use IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/) to rename in bulk, you can put them in the order you want then rename the lot, you should get a result like:
filename0001
filename0002
filename0003
filename0099
filename0100
etc.

Then burn them to CD.

SurferJoe46
27-06-2005, 03:39 AM
XP (as well as any digitally operated system) will always rate files and orders by Boolean algabraic logic. That means there is a sequence that it uses to relate files and data to other files and data. Kinda in this same vein is the fact that digital devices start counting from 0, not 1 as is the...er...inferior human way. It's amazing what computers have to put up with from people. :lol:

If you want to get around this sequencing, then I suggest you get the free program Picasa (http://www.picasa.com/download/index.php) , which gives you a lot more filing choices and ultimately more control of the pixs you want, in the order you want them.

Everything you have in the form of a picture in ANY format will be found by Picasa, and will be presented to you for your use or non-use as you see fit. Just be sure that when you find something that you don't want collated in Picasa, that you don't totally remove the file/pix from the computer; just take it out of Picasa. You will probably find that you need those goofy masks and color mattes later in some way, and if they're gone, then it's messy.

I have quite a few photo handling programs (MGI Photo Suite is a favorite), but Picasa is the fastest and easiest to use album-maker so far. The best part is it's free. :thumbs:

Hope this solves your quest. I really like the album making and collating ability that Picasa has. I make photo albums that open and show like a book, or splash or use different graphic fades and zooms. Pixillation and melding are all available too. Try it, see what you think......

Graham L
27-06-2005, 04:36 PM
It doesn't really order by "Boolean algabraic logic". It just uses the common alphabetical ascii collating sequence. The numbers in the names are just treated as characters; they have no numerical meaning to the file system. So "19" does come before "2".

After you go to all the trouble of putting them in order, the programme gets the OS to get them. The first thing it does is (so helpfully) sort the list. ;) If all the filenames start with a common element, then a sequence number, you'll always have bad (1,10..19, 1,...) results unless the numeric part is made to include leading zeros. "02" does become before "19". (Of course, you have to plan ahead and have enough leading zeros. "119" comes before "20" . ;(

SurferJoe46
28-06-2005, 05:14 PM
It doesn't really order by "Boolean algabraic logic". It just uses the common alphabetical ascii collating sequence. The numbers in the names are just treated as characters; they have no numerical meaning to the file system. So "19" does come before "2".

After you go to all the trouble of putting them in order, the programme gets the OS to get them. The first thing it does is (so helpfully) sort the list. ;) If all the filenames start with a common element, then a sequence number, you'll always have bad (1,10..19, 1,...) results unless the numeric part is made to include leading zeros. "02" does become before "19". (Of course, you have to plan ahead and have enough leading zeros. "119" comes before "20" . ;(

ASCII sequenational values are a product of some factors that might have been missed here.

The real reason why 19 comes before 2 is the result of Boolean flags, or in this case actually lack of them. Without an operand or modifier for the string that follows, there is a parsed assumption (built-in) that migrates such variables or fixed values out of a true ascending/descending order of the column (esp in FILO or stacked variables). Without a command to flip, migrate, toss or sort that stack, there is an assumed progeny of sorts, that makes it hard to understand the logic behind this evaluation.

I submit: as the relational operators (=, <>, <, >, <=, >=) work on either strings or integers, and result in a boolean value and in this stated case are missing, then the expressions on each side of the operator must be the same type (i.e., "1234" = 3 become a type error). They should perform the comparison that you might expect: equality, inequality, strictly less than, strictly greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to, respectively. HOWEVER...IN THE ABSENCE OF THESE OPERATORS....they become strings for comparison and should therefor rate in ASCII-logical order (i.e., compare the ASCII values of the first character, if they are the same go on to the second, and so on). If two strings have the same ASCII values, the shorter string is less than the longer string. For two strings to be equal, they must have the same ASCII values and be the same length.

The boolean operators (and, or, not) work only on boolean (true or false) values (which can only be created by a relational operator), and result in a boolean value. This is why there is truly Boolean Magic at work here. Without the relational operator to establish an operant value for the string, an assumptive is that all are NOT EQUAL to each other and are not sorted in that logical way.

This is just the way it was on my C>64, and all might have changed by now..

Kaygee
28-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Many thanks for all the above answers and I have had a quick look at Irfanview (thanks Rob99) and also Picassa (thank you SurferJoe99). This help is much appreciated - not sure I yet understand all this boolean logic at present - but your answers sound great. At first glance Picassa looks the most likely for my needs and appears easier to handle. You help is very much appreciated.
Kaygee

SurferJoe46
29-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Kaygee...............TY for the return..

the boolean and ascii stuff wasn't necessary for you to understand (unless you want to) but I thought I'd throw it in as an explanation of the reason why things that go bump in a computer are not always what they seem...

Anyway, I use Picassa constantly, and with the addition of MGI PhotoSuite III SE, I feel I have most all the bases covered (a US baseball reference there, sorry..don't know if it applies to Rugby or not), and can pretty much do the things I want to with and about pictures and video files. But yes, Picassa is very cool and fairly easy to master...... enjoy....