PDA

View Full Version : Strange tracert results... i think

roddy_boy
25-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi all,

Just been running a few pings to see the latency of our connection (I'm on Orcon 256K bitstream so i you're on it too you know how much lag you sometimes get!!) and was also wondering what tracerts do? I ran a few tracerts and got some pretty whacky results. Ill post them here and would appreciate it if someone could check them out and be able to tell me why there are so many time-outs?

Thanks heaps.

Tracert results from 10 mins ago:

08:09 p.m.
Sat 25/06/2005

Tracing route to google.co.nz [216.239.57.99]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 277 ms 210 ms 259 ms 216.239.57.99

Trace complete.

Tracing route to trademe.co.nz [202.21.128.2]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 93 ms 129 ms 99 ms trademe.co.nz [202.21.128.2]

Trace complete.

Jen
25-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Is your computer sitting behind a modem/router using NAT?

AMD1
25-06-2005, 11:04 PM
I use orcon bitstream and found that I had a timeout on the first request to both sites you mentioned.

No further timeouts using tracert.

roddy_boy
25-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Is your computer sitting behind a modem/router using NAT?

When i access my router (IP 10.0.0.2) from my computer, i can see under the Configuration sidebar a subtopic called NAT. Under NAT configuration it says NAT: enabled (it has a drop box with options enabled and disabled), and also Mode: Dynamic NAPT (other options NAT and NAPT)
But then it has options relating to Session names and things like that, and says Number of NAT configurations: 0.

In the status window it has some hoo hah about WANs and LANs but no NATs.

Jen
25-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Your router will be blocking the return ICMP packets so that you just get time outs for each hop. Mine does this as well. I have a network diagnostic tool (mtr) that gets around that issue, but I am not sure if there is a Windows version of it.

You can always check your route using an external reference which will not be affected by your router blocking the packages. There is one here (http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/tracert.asp).

That fact your router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) is very good, and provides extra security to your system. :)

roddy_boy
26-06-2005, 12:16 AM
That fact your router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) is very good, and provides extra security to your system. :)

lol so all those request timeouts are good?? Thats a relief to know! Thanks. Oh and that online trace route you linked to also timed out repetitively and then succeeded on the last hop too.