PDA

View Full Version : New hard drive after effects

russell108
25-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi

after rescuing my dads old Gateway comp (pentium 3 450mhz, 4GB hard drive!! )

with a new 80GB hard drive all was punchy until the sound card refused to work...(integrated sound blaster PCI 64D)

i tried installing new drivers but to no avial...after much head scratching the guy in the local shop said to install new motherboard drivers...is this the way to go and if so where can i find these drivers ? ? ? :help:

Elephant
25-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Hi

after rescuing my dads old Gateway comp (pentium 3 450mhz, 4GB hard drive!! )

with a new 80GB hard drive all was punchy until the sound card refused to work...(integrated sound blaster PCI 64D)

i tried installing new drivers but to no avial...after much head scratching the guy in the local shop said to install new motherboard drivers...is this the way to go and if so where can i find these drivers ? ? ? http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/help.gif

You don't say what operating system is being used.
Assuming you are using a version of Windows and the sound card is integrated on the Motherboard probably AC97 then the drivers willl normally be on the disk (CD) that came with the motherboard.

russell108
25-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Sorry yes ...standard windows 98 OS

BTW do you mean the windows 98 installation disk ? as i dont think the PC came with a motherboard disk

russell108
25-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Also is there any point in flashing the BIOS ? ?

pctek
25-06-2005, 09:58 AM
You don't say what operating system is being used.
Assuming you are using a version of Windows and the sound card is integrated on the Motherboard probably AC97 then the drivers willl normally be on the disk (CD) that came with the motherboard.
Dont flash the BIOS unless there is a problem that requires it.
Look at the model number of the motherboard (take the lid off) and then find the manufacturers website and download the drivers for it from there.

Myth
25-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Theres a little application called Everest that will help you identify what hardware you have, which therefore makes it easier to know what driver you are looking for.

Everest Homepage (http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en)

Once Everest has found the hardware you require a driver for, you can search in Google, or go to Driverguide here (http://www.driverguide.com/)

You will need to join (its free) and this site has an extensive range of drivers

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Its better to go to the mobo makers site, as there maybe later versions of the drivers etc available, than there is at driverguide.

A BIOS update is only really necessary, if u have an old system, and u try and put in a big hdd in the system, if the motherboard/system can't see the full capacity of the hdd.

Older systems may need a BIOS update.

tweak'e
25-06-2005, 12:36 PM
easyiest way here is to simply look at the chipset on the motherboard. if you don't want to open the case everest will say what chipset it uses, you can go to the chipset makers site and download the drivers.

motherboard drivers should be the first drivers installed but most newbies forget.

russell108
25-06-2005, 10:03 PM
The MOBO name is...Intel warmsprings WS440BX

and the closest i could find on the intel site was SE440BX

the BIOS is by PHEONIX and the version is 4W4SB0X0.15A.0012.P07

I found another one by PHEONIX called 4W4SB0X0.15A.0015.P10

what should i do ? :help:

tweak'e
25-06-2005, 10:18 PM
its a 440BX chipset, just grab the chipset drivers for it off the intell site.

russell108
25-06-2005, 11:19 PM
ok updated the chipset...sound card still doesnt work

What about the MOBO driver or the BIOS ?

tweak'e
26-06-2005, 01:18 AM
seeing as youve installed the mobo driver just double check the sound card driver is installed and there is no ! in device manager.

btw when you put the drive in did you keep the old one or did you install new drive and reinstall 98?

also did you check the basic's like checking that the card isn't loose?
is the card listed in control panel/multimedia ?

russell108
26-06-2005, 02:11 AM
There is an ! next to the sound card in device manager and the driver appears to be installed

I dont think the card is loose as its integrated (can it be loose and integrated ?)

regarding the old drive i discarded it and reinstalled 98 from scratch

tweak'e
26-06-2005, 01:09 PM
There is an ! next to the sound card in device manager
there should a code and a message listed, what is it?

intergrated audio wont come loose but just check its turned on in the bios.

does everest say what the sound card is?

russell108
26-06-2005, 11:00 PM
hmm Everest says its an Ensoniq Tabor 2 sound card

but its supposed to be an integrated sound blaster PCI 64D...

also in device manager it has Creative AWE64 16 bit audio (code10)

and soundblaster or compatible (code 24)

both with ! ....the message for both is "the device is either not present ,not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed"

I think the soundcard is turned on the Bios but will check

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Did u go here?

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Click on soundblaster/others/sound blaster pci 64?? And download this driver?

If so, I would delete all of those soundcard entries, reboot, and reinstall this driver. See if it works.

russell108
26-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Whoo hoo !!!!

Just did 5 mins ago and all is well :thumbs: thanks for all the help you guys.