PDA

View Full Version : Netscape slows to stop

jayal
24-06-2005, 09:29 PM
O/S Win98SE, Pentium11, 256RAM, & running Netscape V7.2 - which recently has become slower & slower after a few starts to the point where it wont open at all; re-boot seems to cure it but after a few more starts it refuses to open again - i thought it might be cache troubles but after clearing the cache the same thing happens, i even increased the size of cache - haven't downloaded anything recently that may have caused it, use AVG, spybot and adaware(all updated regularly) - posted a message to Netscape 3 weeks ago but no reply and am getting a little sick of this - would upgrade to V8 but from a few accounts it's buggy so will wait a while yet - anyone able to help with this please?

tweak'e
24-06-2005, 09:33 PM
try opera or firefox :)

what else do you have running? possible spyware/virus infection ??

what plugins are installed?

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2005, 09:34 PM
8.02 just came out which fixed a prob with Internet Explorer.

I would try another browser, like firefox/opera etc.

Netscape and IE are memory hogs and bloated. IE is just as bad.

The more patches MS bring out for it, the slower it seems to load!

jayal
24-06-2005, 09:58 PM
try opera or firefox :)

what else do you have running? possible spyware/virus infection ??

what plugins are installed?

dont think i have a spyware/virus problem but maybe i will try another browser - will another run alongside Netscape? or will Netscape have to be deleted? New Addresses? etc?, or just copy what's needed and paste onto the new?

tweak'e
24-06-2005, 10:05 PM
not to sure about firefox but opera will certain run seperately (and unlike one of the latest netscape dosn't require IE to be installed!) and can import bookmarks/favorites etc.

just double check what plugins are installed, some are known to crash browsers.

jayal
24-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks Tweaki'e - will do that - that was such a fast resolution! am impressed