PDA

View Full Version : Saving WinXPhome from HDD to external or CD

taly
24-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi there! Real problem.
My Win OS CD got corrupted, so I was trying to make a copy from installed on PC, but it did not work with external HDD. In the middle sys declined on some pretext. With CD the 700Mb was not enough for Win XP home. Did not wont tu use DVD, since my other PC has CD Rom R/W.
What can be done?
Thnks

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Not much use trying to install XP from a hdd, when its already installed.

As setup will expect to see mostly compressed files, off the cd.

And no if u tried to back the hdd to a cd, it wont fit, as its over 1gb installed, as you found out, a cd is only 700 mb.

You'll have to reinstall XP all over again from the original cd somehow, or buy another copy of XP.

The only other thing u can try, is see if u can copy all the files off that cd if it works, to the hdd and back to a blank cd. Did it say the cd is corrupted when u tried to reinstall XP off that cd?

taly
24-06-2005, 02:51 PM
It does say that CD is corrupted. But I have another pc with WinXP home and it is ok. I do have external HDD and thought I can make backup of the whole HDD on the working sys and then connect it to other PC and install Windows. For the start I tried to backup only Windows, but not to mirror the whole internal HDD on the good PC.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Nope afraid not. XP doesnt work like that.

Even if u did manage to copy from the working hdd to the one u want XP on, the registry wouldnt pick anything up on the hdd, you want to install XP onto.

As everything in XP, whatever is installed / hardware / programs, put their info in the registry.

And XP will detect that the hardware on the hdd that has nothing on it, is different from the working system. It'll most probably crash.

I dont think there's any other option, but to buy another version of XP. And do a clean install, on the hdd that has nothing on it.

tweak'e
24-06-2005, 04:37 PM
if you have another pc with XP home on it then just use its CD. don't forget you will need to use the cd key from the pc thats got the damaged cd.

taly
26-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks , got it.But what happend is that when I tried to load XP on another Pc and it got stack in the middle, I decided to use my older Wim 2000 or 98. But the sys wonted to continue loading XP, did not recognise other CD. I wanted to uninstall the damaged half of XP but there was no way to do it. Perhaps I have to put this HDD into working PC as a slave and format it. Will it work?

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2005, 09:57 PM
I take it u didnt boot from the Windows 2000 cd?? And format it this way.

This will be an easier way of formatting that hdd with the stuffed XP on it.

taly
26-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi there ! I thought that I set Bios on CD boot. Probably was not. Now it is ok. Thanks.
I was told to use Symantec Ghost to make HDD image. Found also free Ycopy that offers similar thing.
Have not tried it yet. Any opinions?

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I've never used Ghost or Ycopy whatever this is. I usually format the main partition, and reformat / reinstall, and keep updates etc on another partition, which saves me getting them all over again.

Ghost maybe ok if u dont want to, or arent intending to update/upgrade your system in the near future.

As you'll most probably need the XP cd (which is stuffed), to do a repair, if u do decide to upgrade / change the motherboard etc, later on.

It'll be a total waste of time, making an image of the hdd.

It'll be better installing Windows 2000 or 98, if u have the cd's for these.

taly
26-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Al right. But there is another catch. I do have 2000 and 98, and installed 98 on my second PC. The matter is that because I am using Speech recognition it works only with XP. Actually I installed it on my newer PC already scratched and DVD samsung drive could read it, but other CD drive did not. I am simply afraid that next time my DVD R/RW woun't read it. At the moment it is not critical.

Thanks again