PDA

View Full Version : Has Microsoft Finally Gone Mad

Glassman
23-06-2005, 04:20 PM
This may be old news to some of you. But some of you will be shocked to learn that Microsoft has made Hotbar (One of the biggest players in the spyware world) a certified Patner. check out this web page to learn more http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000150.html

What is this going to me to mean to us all. That on our next vist to the windows update site we are going to end up with Hotbar

The reason why i have posted this message i fix computers for a living and we all know how much fun it is trying to remove hotbar.

Please don't get me wrong i AM NOT anti-microsoft but what worries me is which road are we all being led down. Today Hotbar tomorrow who know's

sambaird
23-06-2005, 04:27 PM
It think they were alsays mad
but this is just odd

A nice clip from the hotbar web site
Hotbar does monitor the websites you visit for the sole purpose of presenting contextually related information.

CorbinH
23-06-2005, 04:58 PM
lol i had to get rid of HotBar once... not fun but i didnt know that hot bar and microsoft had became partners?

bartsdadhomer
23-06-2005, 05:18 PM
LOL,
I've made a good living this week removing hotbar and other nasties from 13 PCs
The tutor at the local Polytech advised her evening classes (mostly seniors) to install hotbar as it was a really good search engine and incredimail as it added really neat stuff to emails.
I don't expect she'll have her job for too long much to my dismay, she's great for business!

drcspy
23-06-2005, 05:27 PM
lol just shows you she may know how to tutor word/works etc but hey those folks need to know more than that..........

Glassman
23-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Just an update. This is not web- hype. I have just had a look on the Microsoft site at their list of certified partners and yes Hotbar is on that List.

I did also note that Symantec (Nortons) have a court case going on at the moment fighting for the right to remove Hotbar if you want to.

pctek
23-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Microsoft has made Hotbar (One of the biggest players in the spyware world) a certified Patner.
Please don't get me wrong i AM NOT anti-microsoft
Well they already have Hotmail for spam.
And I am anti-MS. They are morons, just good at marketing.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2005, 09:49 PM
bartsdadhomer, Im with drcspy...

A lot can be just paper knowledge and theory events, but the real-world of computers is totally different than a classroom would have you say.

Admittedly Ive never done any terribly in-depth MCSE and/or CCNA stuff.... Basic polytech stuff had me laughing my ass off at them though ;)

bartsdadhomer
23-06-2005, 10:27 PM
bartsdadhomer, Im with drcspy...

A lot can be just paper knowledge and theory events, but the real-world of computers is totally different than a classroom would have you say.

Admittedly Ive never done any terribly in-depth MCSE and/or CCNA stuff.... Basic polytech stuff had me laughing my ass off at them though ;)

Oh and don't I know it Chill.
Umm.. there is one thing I didn't mention earlier... she was in a couple of classes I was tutoring a couple of years back :horrified

FoxyMX
24-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Don't forget that Microsoft had Alexa bundled with Internet Explorer, although that is pretty tame compared to Hotbar.

Whatever are they thinking of? :rolleyes:

Graham L
24-06-2005, 01:49 PM
"Embrace and extend"...

They can use it for lots of helpful things. MS would love to help themselves to a list of all the software on your machine, and of all the music files ...

sambaird
24-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Don't forget that Microsoft had Alexa bundled with Internet Explorer, although that is pretty tame compared to Hotbar.

Whatever are they thinking of? :rolleyes:
when was this

Sardonic
24-06-2005, 03:35 PM
So where does this leave Microsofts Antispyware program they took over from Giant?

The official news (http://directory.microsoft.com/mprd/PartnerProfile.aspx?RowKey=b0d237a7-3fc8-411f-862f-d8dd15dfb599&LanguageDropDown=173)

FoxyMX
24-06-2005, 04:49 PM
when was thisOver the past five years or so. Alexa is nearly always present in Ad-Aware scans on computers running Windows prior to Win XP.

Glassman
24-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Some more news. From what i found out about this hotbar saga.
Microsoft's anti-spyware beta software will not pick up Hotbar anymore as a spyware threat. When you run a scan with the Ms anti-spyware program

It looks like it has being removed from their spyware data base

vinref
24-06-2005, 05:26 PM
If MS has gone mad, what does that say about those who continue to use Windows, or at least IE?

Glassman
24-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Most people i come across in my work are only just getting a computer for the first time and have little or no idea about what is going on with their computers

Let alone know that there are much safer browsers around they could be using

Greven
24-06-2005, 08:24 PM
At least now almost everyone knows that they need an anti-virus program, an anti-spyware program, and a firewall. Hopefully in a few more years, the majority of computer users will not only have those essential tools, but will know how to use them.

Glassman
25-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I agree must people do know they need a anti-virus program.
But you would be suprised how many people look at me as if i have just landed.
When i start talking about firewalls and anti-spyware software.

I think the biggest problem is that that alot of people do not really understand what the internet really is. And nothing is going to happen to their computers because they live in a small NZ town.

Metla
25-06-2005, 02:19 PM
The worst aspect of this is that MS are willing to accept money to have programs removed from the database.

Imagine if Coolwebsearch or new.net rock on up to Bill with the eftpos card in hand..

Hi Bill, we would like to infect billionss of computers with software that hijacks their browser,downloads and displays content to them,monitors there activities and reports back to use,and is impossible to remove without dedicated tools and a bit of know how..

No worries guys, just swipe your card here and select which account you would like to use, By the way, we also have some good deals for procuring the human soul at the moment, Im sure you will be interested...

vinref
25-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree must people do know they need a anti-virus program.
But you would be suprised how many people look at me as if i have just landed.
When i start talking about firewalls and anti-spyware software.

I think the biggest problem is that that alot of people do not really understand what the internet really is. And nothing is going to happen to their computers because they live in a small NZ town.

From what I read about people and their various adventures with anti-virus, anti-ad/spyware, anti-trojans, scanners etc etc, I am not suprised that people are so confused. There are people here who regularly post what looks like a long list of on-line remedies - it boggles the mind what Windows users must go through.

So you cannot blame people and say they have a small town mentality - it's the thing in front of them that is so utterly sh*tty.

Graham L
25-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Nothing much will happen to their computers. Just don't connect them to other computers. :D

Glassman
25-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Please don't get me wrong i am Not saying people have small town mentality's
or trying to blame joe public. Most people who are buying a new computer go for a brand name. What do you really get inside those nice new boxs(apart from the hardware) a setup guide and a heap of license agrements. What you should get is a whacking great poster explaining what you really need to do to setup your computer so it it safe before you go onto the internet.So Even if they included a disk with say Spybot on it or Adaware or any anti-spyware program you can think of just to help get you going. Or on the poster list a few of the top spyware threats just to make people aware.

Glassman
25-06-2005, 03:14 PM
At the end of the day the internet is not a rose garden it's a mine field for those that are new to it.

vinref
25-06-2005, 03:54 PM
My point is, is that it is now so confusing, laborious and expensive to maintain your Windows PC.

For eample, I am amazed by some claims that you must run some anti-viruses, scanners, anti-spy/adware programs, firewalls together with other anti-viruses, scanners, anti-spy/adware etc, because one of each is not enough.

I think it has reached a point where user education will no longer work. The amount of time, energy and money spent by the average user to keep their PCs clean is just too great for most people who just want to use a PC - not become a Pc tech.

Safari
25-06-2005, 04:05 PM
My point is, is that it is now so confusing, laborious and expensive to maintain your Windows PC.

For eample, I am amazed by some claims that you must run some anti-viruses, scanners, anti-spy/adware programs, firewalls together with other anti-viruses, scanners, anti-spy/adware etc, because one of each is not enough.

I think it has reached a point where user education will no longer work. The amount of time, energy and money spent by the average user to keep their PCs clean is just too great for most people who just want to use a PC - not become a Pc tech.

Agree with that. Even after a Tech has cleaned their computer and explained about spyware and viruses it is only a matter of days before they are infected again.

If it was suggested to them that they buy a Mac they would not have any of those problems. But then again computer techs make good money out of these people so they are not going to kill the goose... are they.

Edward
25-06-2005, 04:13 PM
If it was suggested to them that they buy a Mac they would not have any of those problems.

No they wouldn't, they'd have other problems though :D

Safari
25-06-2005, 04:28 PM
No they wouldn't, they'd have other problems though :D

Don't be juvenile Edward, we are talking viruses, spyware, trojans firewalls and the problems updating and running all the various programs necessary to keep a PC free of infection.

With a Mac it is not necessary to run any of these programs and makes life much easier for a non technical user.

Edward
25-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Don't be juvenile Edward, we are talking viruses, spyware, trojans firewalls and the problems updating and running all the various programs necessary to keep a PC free of infection.

With a Mac it is not necessary to run any of these programs and makes life much easier for a non technical user.

I suppose the words SuSE, Xandros and Ubuntu mean nothing?

Safari
25-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I suppose the words SuSE, Xandros and Ubuntu mean nothing?

To most people they mean nothing, certainly not to the everage home user.
Anyone using Linux is also capable and aware of what needs to be done to keep windows clean.

Metla
25-06-2005, 06:07 PM
People should buy macs instead?

And are you going to subsidise the extra 2 to 4 grand required to get a similar performing machine? Plus cover the inflated cost for any repairs or upgrades as required. Plus buy them a next generation console in order to run high detail games, subsidise the cost of service packs for the OS, and buy them a wiondows machine so they can make use of the thousands of useful and free apps that they would want to use?

Gee, 15 minutes of maitenence one a month aint looking too hard anymore.

Safari
25-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Just confirms that techs are quite happy to have a ready supply of customers waiting to have their computers cleaned.
They come up with all sorts of wild reasons to not use a Mac so that they have a steady stream of customers.
There are models of Macs which are no more expensive than a PC and you know that Metla. Get your facts straight or go and play with your toy car game.

mark c
25-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I read an article in The Reg (http://theregister.co.uk) some time ago (had a look but sorry couldn't find it) that lots of people were leaving the internet because they got sick of all the malware and the time /costs of keeping their PCs usuable.

So what's the answer?

The Mac Solution is fine until e'body uses a Mac.

User education? No. As people get more clued up so will the malware writers.

It's a paralell to the offline world. As car security gets more sophisticated so to the car thieves. As banks upgrade their security so the robbers get more sophisticated. (Credit Card rip-off.)

I don't know what the solution is. I maintain a lot of friend's computers and don't have any problems (after some help from Pressf1 in cases).

People understandably use computers like they (we) use TVs and pop up toasters. Plug 'em in off you go.

...........m :2cents:

Metla
25-06-2005, 07:10 PM
@Safari

I am quite happy to provide any service a customer requires of me, they not only get a healthy comp back but leave more knowledable about the issue.

And installing Firefox and an antivirus sorts out 90 percent of any ongoing issues.

I'm surpised that you would even play that card, its a pretty lame slur (now if I was selling $1000 worth of hardware for $5000 and some fantasy performance figures I could understand it)

Back to price, a comparative priced mac is no match for a comparable priced PC.You know this, Biut if I must I will demonstate it, would 20 examples be enough?,50?,100?

Edward
25-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Just confirms that techs are quite happy to have a ready supply of customers waiting to have their computers cleaned.
They come up with all sorts of wild reasons to not use a Mac so that they have a steady stream of customers.
There are models of Macs which are no more expensive than a PC and you know that Metla. Get your facts straight or go and play with your toy car game.
OK then. What reasons are there to use a Mac

1. the temporary lack of spyware

pitiful :groan: