PDA

View Full Version : 2 hard drives

Jihad
23-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Is it posible to get a 2nd hard drive to add on to the 40 GB hard drive i have know and make it one big one? and would all the files be funchanable as one?
if this is posible how is it done?

Terry Porritt
23-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Probably your best bet is to get a new hard drive of the size you want, connect is as a slave to the other one, and then clone your existing drive to the new one.

Then remove the original drive, set the new one as master. You could then re-connect the old drive as a slave to the new one to take any overflow of data.

You can't make one big drive out of two.

Jihad
23-06-2005, 03:56 PM
ok.... how hard is it to make it a slave and what not? and will it just show up as like another drive in the My Computer thing?

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Just connect it to the primary ide connection cable, set it to slave with the jumper on the back of the hard drive, and then go into the BIOS and put Primary slave on AUTO.

The BIOS has to see the hard drive, before Windows / whatever you're using will see it. Once its configured (and formatted), it'll appear in Windows Explorer / My computer.

FoxyMX
23-06-2005, 05:33 PM
how hard is it to make it a slave and what not? and will it just show up as like another drive in the My Computer thing?Not difficult at all. The new drive will appear in My Computer, Windows Explorer and Disk Management (assuming you are using Windows XP) as another partition.

Files can be stored on it just as on the original drive and programs installed to it if required. You might be interested in the forum's FAQ on Partitioning (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_43 ).

Terry Porritt
23-06-2005, 06:00 PM
The hardest part is the actual physical installation and connecting up of another hard drive, especially if the computer is a small form factor, where there may not be a spare bay.
The master drive should be connected to the connector at the end of the IDE cable (assuming an IDE drive), and the slave drive to the connector before the end of the cable.
This means the drives have to be mounted next to one another, and depending where the original one is situated, it is possible it may have to be moved to another bay so that the cable connects them both easily without "gymnastics".

If there isn't a spare power connector, then a "Y" splitter connector will be needed.

tweak'e
23-06-2005, 06:23 PM
The hardest part is the actual physical installation
don't forget the HEAT factor to. i've seen a few when you add another drive to the next bay the case can't get rid of the heat. i could have cooked my dinner on it and no i'm not joking. once the 2nd drive was moved to a spare 5" bay (with adaptors) the hardrive temps went down to normall.

pctek
23-06-2005, 07:53 PM
You can keep the 40. And install a bigger one for data. Or not. Whateever your preference is.
Yes if the two drives touch they will get hot but most normal cases have plenty of space to install extra drives without them being close together. Unless of course, you have a case from one those: Dell, HP etc

Myth
23-06-2005, 08:19 PM
You can't make one big drive out of two. Physically you can't ...
Logically you can; Win 2000 and XP allow for dynamic drives (where the 2 volumes become one according to the O/S)

CyberGeek
23-06-2005, 09:49 PM
if your motherboard supports raid then you can make the two drives appear as one. Just if one hdd goes down, both are screwed.