PDA

View Full Version : USB flash drive shuts down PC on connection

Eorr
21-06-2005, 03:18 PM
OK, haven't had any luck searching for this problem.

Question is, has anyone got an idea what would cause my PC to shut down when I plug in a flash disk? And/or any ideas how to eliminate it?

Specs:
Windows XP SP2 home edition
Athlon Barton CPU
1GB Ram
MSI KT6 mobo
SATA RAID disk drives

The flash drive is a cheap one just bought called a 'Rundisk' 512MB model connected to a rear port of the PC (USB2) with the supplied cable.

Other USB devices include hub attached to base of monitor which has a printer connected, thats all. This shouldn't have any bearing cause this happens before windows starts up also.

Problem scenario:
this has occured only three times since I bought it - plug it in every day for the last month or so. Happened when Windows had been operating for some hours - with apps open. As soon as the USB drive hit the cable plug, bang - total shut down - power lost completely, except monitor of course - had to switch off at wall and on again to reboot.

The other occasion was when I plugged it in while booting - it was at startup procedure, windows not loading yet, and again, as soon as the disk hit the cable plug, shutdown.

The only other time was also at boot time when I plugged it in and it wouldn't find any disk drives until I reset at the wall and rebooted.

Otherwise this ram/flash disk operates very well, copying large files, filling disk, deleting, running apps from it, whatever - never a problem, except as above.

Any ideas anyone?

pctek
21-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Dodgy power supply. The flash drive will draw power from the PC as it doesn't have its own supply. So - try another PSU.

godfather
21-06-2005, 04:50 PM
The maximum that the USB drive can use from USB port is only 2.5 watts though, and thats far less than the variations caused by other devices operating normally.

One would expect to see shutdowns at other times not related to the USB drive if it was the power supply.

Its possible, but I would suspect something else such as an intermittent fault (short circuit) in the flash drive first (although even that would not be expected to shut down the PC, but more likely disable the USB port)

pctek
21-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Try another USB device on the USB ports you are using. If it still occurs then it eliminates the flash drive as the problem. 2.5watts is not much true, but I'd check it out anyway.

TEEBEE
21-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Go to www.rundisk.co.kr where you may find help in the user manual.
I had a rundisk 128 MB which failed anhd was replaced without question.

Eorr
22-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Try another USB device on the USB ports you are using. If it still occurs then it eliminates the flash drive as the problem. 2.5watts is not much true, but I'd check it out anyway.

OK, good point. I have previously been using another USB ram disk for many years without this ever happening - so I guess, even though it is 64MB and the new one is much bigger, which shouldn't make any difference in power draw-off etc. - that it has to be the USB drive shorting or something. Only happens about 3 in a hundred times though.

Also, I have replaced the PSU less than a year ago simply to have a higher quality PSU and it hasn't given any other indication of a problem since then.
Can't see how the PSU could be the problem if this happens while the machine is booting. Maybe the mobo though?

So has nobody ever heard of this happening before? I can't find anything like this through google. Makes me feel kind of special. Great (not).

pctek
22-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, is the drive still under warranty? Seems you have narrowed it down to being the problem.
I found a few forums with people with the smae problem.
Suggestion were if using the front USB ports - they could be connected wrong. I doubt that, or its loaded the driver for it wrong - maybe, but XP just treats it as the same thing, so if the other one is OK, then not.

Eorr
22-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Well, is the drive still under warranty? Seems you have narrowed it down to being the problem.
I found a few forums with people with the smae problem.
Suggestion were if using the front USB ports - they could be connected wrong. I doubt that, or its loaded the driver for it wrong - maybe, but XP just treats it as the same thing, so if the other one is OK, then not.

Interesting, I couldn't find this in other forums - probably looking in the wrong place. Wasn't sure what to search for. Found stuff about USB problems and lock-ups etc, but not switch offs. You could post a link if you like?

One point to add - I'm plugging into a USB port on-board the mobo (rear of PC), via a cable. I suppose the cable could be it. I'll bypass it for a while and see if it still happens.
Another thing - this only ever happens at the time of initial connection. Once it's plugged in OK it operates flawlessly - quite fast too, compared to Sisoft records. Never any lock-ups or shut downs once it's in. Static possibility?

Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Graham L
22-06-2005, 02:07 PM
This is the sort of thing which "can't possibly happen". :D At the worst, plugging something odd into a USB port should confuse the USB controller. The power available from a USB port is not going to bother the grunty 5V supply of any computer box. Even a dead short in the unit would just produce a puff of smoke (and nothing that drastic is happening).

Those RunDisk units are very cheaply made (the USB connector is just tracks on the PCB :eek: ) but the one I've seen does work.

Could it be that movement of the USB "extension cord" at the back is disturbing a power cable or switch?

Eorr
22-06-2005, 02:24 PM
This is the sort of thing which "can't possibly happen". :D At the worst, plugging something odd into a USB port should confuse the USB controller. The power available from a USB port is not going to bother the grunty 5V supply of any computer box. Even a dead short in the unit would just produce a puff of smoke (and nothing that drastic is happening).

Those RunDisk units are very cheaply made (the USB connector is just tracks on the PCB :eek: ) but the one I've seen does work.

Could it be that movement of the USB "extension cord" at the back is disturbing a power cable or switch?

This is very interesting. Shouldn't be happening, I agree. But no power cable disturbance is apparent. Also, it is very much a case of power loss the instant the metal plugs come in contact - very succinct. I am wondering if this could be static electrical related - that would explain the unexplainable quite nicely - hard to dispute I suppose. I still believe I've seen a computer shut off the instant someone touched a device connected to a serial port, but can't prove it was static related of course. But it never happened twice, and we were noticing static charges about the place then - you know, carpet/door knob stuff.
But could static store in a USB drive, and could this power off a PC through the port - I still can't see how that could be, even.

I'll keep using it direct into another port and post updates in future if I learn anything more, just in case someones interested. :confused:

pctek
22-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Interesting, I couldn't find this in other forums - probably looking in the wrong place. Wasn't sure what to search for. Found stuff about USB problems and lock-ups etc, but not switch offs. You could post a link if you like?

Thanks for your help. Cheers.
I entered this search into Google:
flashdrive reboots PC
There were more than one site that came up with stuff, so just have a rummage through them. Dunno how useful it will be....

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2005, 08:53 PM
The mobo isnt shorting on the case is it?

And when u put the USB drive in, its causing the shutdown?

Eorr
23-06-2005, 08:56 AM
The mobo isnt shorting on the case is it?

And when u put the USB drive in, its causing the shutdown?

This PC has been assembled for almost 1 year and has never had any problems. I'm not sure how I could prove if there is a mobo short, but there doesn't seem to be any other hint of it. Machine is very stable. It certainly is something to do with the USB drive, or at least plugging it in. As mentioned above, as soon as the metal parts of the USB plug contact with the USB socket, lights out. Very distinctively at exact moment of contact, complete power off. Only has happened on 3 out of about 1 hundred times. Apart from that it functions perfectly, even quite impressively compared to other similar devices considering the cheap price. Wouldn't worry me too much, except, once I plugged it in after I had been working on PC for some hours already and hadn't saved two or three seperate application work and lost all of them - it's a stress thing - shouldn't have to worry about it. So now I have to make sure I plug it in before I start working, or else I shut down all my apps first to be safe - inconvenient.

Eorr
23-06-2005, 08:57 AM
I entered this search into Google:
flashdrive reboots PC
There were more than one site that came up with stuff, so just have a rummage through them. Dunno how useful it will be....

Yeah, except it doesn't reboot the PC - it shuts it down, full stop.

CYaBro
23-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I had a USB problem yesterday.
The USB device was plugged into one of the front USB ports and someone must have kicked it because when I went to plug the device in again later on Windows XP came up with an error saying that the USB port was drawing too much power and to remove the device.
The PC also started beeping continuously but did not shut down.
Had to replace the USB cable and use a port on the back of the PC as the front USB port was damaged.

christopher78
30-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I have experienced the exact problem:

I recently built a new system using:

MSI PM8M3-V motherboard (VIA P4M800CE + VT8237R Chipset)
480 Watt Power Supply
1 GB RAM
1 80 GB WD hard drive
1 liteon CD/DVD burner

The system ran beautifully for three weeks.. then my girlfriend plugged in her 4GB Diskgo flash drive into the front USB port and the computer immediately shut down.
I scanned the flash drive for viruses and found a trojan horse (same was removed)

When the computer was rebooted.. the front usb ports no longer worked.
When the flash drive was plugged into the rear usb port.. the computer immediately shut down again.

I rebooted the computer with the drive still plugged in.. and after a little time it rebooted ok. but now it refuses to boot with the flash drive in.

Other flash drives work ok (kingston 1GB)

I have been looking for a solution to this problem a couple days now.

FYI
I understand that there is a problem with usb ports shutting down periodically some kind of scan interval problem with the microsoft drivers. some suggest that the port shut down is triggered by a power fluctuation.. the usb port shut down also seems limited to the front usb ports.

The only thing that is different with the 4GB is that it has some security software that came with the drive. I suspect that the drive itself probably draws to much power... I dont know if the computers power management system limits the power draw to the USB ports because 480Watts is more than sufficient for the limited hardware I am running.

I hope someone can help solve this problem.

wainuitech
01-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah, except it doesn't reboot the PC - it shuts it down, full stop.

Thats a short circut some place. You need to look at the PC very carefully and see what has moved or isn't sitting right. Had a customers PC doing the same with front USB ports, removed the USB ports from the PC, put them back - all fixed.

Eorr
01-10-2007, 07:30 AM
I no longer have this problem.

I am remembering two different things happened (it was a while ago, but I'm still using the same USB flash drive with absolutely no problems anymore - definitely motherboard/connection issue).

1st - I no longer use the USB extension cable that came with the USB flash drive.

2nd - check your USB plug connections on your motherboard - I put mine in the wrong place (firewire ports I think) and eventually my motherboard fried at that location. ie. the internal connections from the motherboard to the USB ports.

I can't remember which occurred first, but I think it was a MSI mobo too - so do check those cable connections.

Cheers and good luck.

Chris.