PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

B.M.
19-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Like I guess most of you, over a period of time my inbox gets chocka. 1000 plus messages with attachments that have been kept, just in case. :blush:

So, rather than go through each one, one at a time and make a executive decision whether to keep or delete, I’ve been burning the Inbox.dat folder to CD. Fine, but “Murphy” has turned up and I want one of the archived messages complete with attachment which now resides on CD. (I hope) :confused:

Question is, what is the preferred method of doing this. “Goggling” seems to suggest that the whole darn file, 200megs or so, with all the messages, needs to be restored. Waaaaaaaaaa! :(

Surely not, there must be a better way.!?

pctek
19-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Like I guess most of you, over a period of time my inbox gets chocka. 1000 plus messages with attachments that have been kept, just in case. :blush:

So, rather than go through each one, one at a time and make a executive decision whether to keep or delete, I’ve been burning the Inbox.dat folder to CD. Fine, but “Murphy” has turned up and I want one of the archived messages complete with attachment which now resides on CD. (I hope) :confused:

Question is, what is the preferred method of doing this. “Goggling” seems to suggest that the whole darn file, 200megs or so, with all the messages, needs to be restored. Waaaaaaaaaa! :(

Surely not, there must be a better way.!?
Can't comment as I use Mozilla mail and Mozbackup. Not that I use that for actual emails. Can't even imagine wanting to keep old emails. If its that important I'd print out the relevant info thats necessary to keep and then delete the mail.
I think it depends on how you backed up the mailbox?

drcspy
19-06-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx

drcspy
19-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd suggest using the 'dbxtract' program to extract your emails from the correct dbx file into a folder of your choosing.......if you cant pay the online fee I do have a copy here of dbxtract it used to be free once ........send me a private message with yoru email addy if you need it...the zip file is 19kb

FoxyMX
19-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree with drcspy regarding using the DBXtract program but be aware that it will extract ALL of the emails from a .dbx file. :(

Well... you will be hoping it will, as I have not tested it on a 200MB .dbx file. :eek:

Other than that the only choice you have is to move everything out of your Inbox and copy/paste your archived Inbox.dbx from the CD to replace your current Inbox.dbx. The "read only" attribute will need to be removed before you can view the emails in OE first.

Two hundred megabytes though... cripes, I thought I was a magpie! :D

B.M.
19-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks Guys.

I got hold of a programme called DBXtract ver. 4.5.

Is that the version you’re referring to?

I’ve got it going and I figure it will do the job, but boy it’s slow. Could take three or four hours. Does that seem right?

drcspy
20-06-2005, 08:32 AM
that's the version I have it's not normally slow as such it's most likely that it's working hard because you have 200mb of mail in that file......

drcspy
20-06-2005, 08:35 AM
hmm.........just tested it on a 2mb dbx file and it took all of less than 5 seconds to extract 53 emails.....(P4 2.4Ghz)

B.M.
20-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, looks like that’s the only alternative.

I agree, it’s probably 200meg - 1000 E-Mails - on a p3 600mhz machine with 256meg RAM that's causing the slowness.

Oh well, I’ll just have to be patient! :(

By the way, you do have to open them all into a folder and then sort through them don’t you?

Like, it’s not possible to see them all on the disk and just grab the one you want?

alopes
20-06-2005, 11:09 AM
How about reducing the size of the e-mail that you can get that way you are not downloading huge files. Instead they are still on your ISP webpage and you can go there and view them and delete them on their webpage.

B.M.
20-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Alopes, the problem is they are mostly XL Spreadsheets of about 3meg coming as attachments, with comments about them in the text.