PDA

View Full Version : no more JetStart

heni72847
19-06-2005, 03:55 PM
got an email from orcon saying that there'll be no more JetStart from the end of july so now i have to change to the bitstream plan
so that's 128 to 256

but i've heard how orcon actually do have limitations even when they say no cap
things such as port shaping for non standard ports and stuff were introduced to keep p2p traffic low or something
and how your speed will be slowed the following month if you use too much bandwith in the current month
i don't know how much of this is true...

lots of bad things were being said about orcon on their own forum
so..maybe it's time to try another isp??

i know some people that uses slingshot, they also have unlimited 256
is there more out there that's reliable and actually provide what they advertise? or is bitstream from orcon fine to use?

pctek
19-06-2005, 05:27 PM
No-one has unlimited. They mean instead of being BILLED for going over, they will reduce our speed instead. Read the small print.
From what I have heard/read those ISPs that are using UBS have poor connections. Orcon always did.

heni72847
19-06-2005, 09:07 PM
so orcon no good? better find a new isp then...

Greg
19-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Orcon's fine.

Greven
20-06-2005, 12:43 AM
If you pan on using your connection for voice over IP or online gaming, then none of the bitstream plans will be any good because of latency issues. I don't know if this is telecom's doing (some people say they are prioritising Xtra traffic, but they never have any proof), or all the other ISPs are just trying to cram too many people in with too little bandwidth.

Whatever the reason, telecom/Xtra connections always have the lowest ping times & seem to go down less often.

ninja
20-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Whatever the reason, telecom/Xtra connections always have the lowest ping times & seem to go down less often.Bollocks. They all use the same framework.

got an email from orcon saying that there'll be no more JetStart from the end of july so now i have to change to the bitstream plan
so that's 128 to 256JetStart was supposed to be canned about November/December last year so you shouldn't have been able to stay on it anyway.

For all those ranting on about caps. ISP's have an aggregate limit of 10GB per user on UBS. This can be spread as thin or thick as they like. So if one user uses 3GB, they have a theoretical 7GB left over to spread amongst the other users.

If they had the choice they'd be providing other options and an upload > 128k.

jesseycy
20-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Bear in mind the "churn fee".. I signed up 2 months ago with Iconz, along with ihug, they were the only 2 that don't require "switching fees"....

Iconz UBS, I'm using it for skype, it's fine... 1mbps, 10gb plan, $55. Good customer service, no issues at all. Problem is, they have excess charges, but as long as u keep tab, you're sweet...