PDA

View Full Version : PC World Index

Billy
18-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Is the index for the magazine, "NZ PC World" available online? If so, where?

According to an earlier post (2003) there used to be one at http://mystuff.orcon.net.nz/cdcat/. Unfortunately, it's not there anymore.

Graham L
18-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't think there was one for the magazine. What was produced was a catalogue of the cover CDs. Where is that, people? (Of course that's really useful only to people who happen to have the CDs ;))

Billy
18-06-2005, 08:00 PM
It would be most useful to have an index even if it was just of the CDs!

I find it very difficult to find things in the old issues! An index would make PC World a much more useful resource IMHO.

Surely others must feel the same way?

Edward
18-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I believe there was a big project a while back about indexing the CD contents. If yuo can find that, you'll be away laughing ;)

Greg
19-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Send a private message to Bruce Buckman - he's the one that initiated the CD content compilation

annie
19-06-2005, 10:14 AM
If anyone wants the index, I can email it to them. I have 2 versions - one is the 30K Excel file that Bruce Buckman produced. The other is a half megabite copy of the Press F1 web page containing all the replies from people who did lists of the CD index contents, useful for those of you who can't get at Excel files and whose emails will handle an attachment of that size. PM me, I will reply asap, though there may be a day or so delay before I get back to you.

annie
19-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Two more points:
#1 The index is available on the PC World May 2004 CD
#2 The index covers only Dec/Jan 02 to about Feb or March 04, nothing later than that

FoxyMX
19-06-2005, 11:02 AM
one is the 30K Excel file that Bruce Buckman produced. I have uploaded this file and it is available here (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/PCW_CD_index_alphabetical.csv). As Annie says, it covers only Dec/Jan 02 to about Feb or March 04 and is a .csv file sorted in alphabetical order.

Billy
20-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks. I downloaded your spreadsheet. Just what I wanted. The CDs are one of the main reasons I still subscribe to PC World so having an index is very useful.

Re the magazine itself, I often remember reading useful bits and pieces but finding them again when I need it takes FOREVER! In the end I usually I just give up. That's my experience anyway. Pity, cause it means the magazine isn't as useful to me as it could be.

On a positive note, this forum is great.

Mary
21-06-2005, 10:39 AM
the website has an archive of all the content from the previous issue - not current issue.
just use the search to find stuff or the google site search.
the pc world website is going to have a well deserved upgrade this year sometime.

Biggles
21-06-2005, 10:43 AM
We need to update the index. Might be time for another project.