PDA

View Full Version : PIC-E graphics board robbing 1.25gb of ram

Ittiz
17-06-2005, 04:40 AM
I just finshed building a new system. I have a Radeon X850 PE graphics board in it and 4gb of ram. The problem is the graphics board seems to be taking one and a quarter gigs of it. But there don't seem to be any options to change it in the bios. If I reset the bios and then enter the bios before the operating system boots up the gfx board only take 256 megs of ram. But if I leave the bios and restart the system it will be back to taking 1.25gb. Any one know anything about this?

CYaBro
17-06-2005, 09:51 AM
A PCI-Express graphics card shouldn't share any RAM from the system as they all have their own RAM onboard.
Something is not right!
Have you tried running the PC with only 1GB of RAM?
What about running a memtest to see if the RAM is faulty?
Have you got another graphics card you can try?

pctek
17-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I guess you mean its reporting the card has 256 or 1.5 of ram onboard when the PC starts?
I'd say the MB is reporting it incorrectly. Is it new? What version of BIOS is it using?

Ittiz
17-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I have tried it with one and two sticks of ram. In both cases none of the memory is taken. I have also used a different graphics card (an old 3dfx Voodoo). When that card was running only 512 megs of ram were taken. I read at the microsoft web page that windows xp will automatically make anything amount of ram above 2 gigs unavailable for normal programs, but I also tried everything with a linux slax disk. With the same result.

tweak'e
17-06-2005, 04:28 PM
well first thing is how/where are you seeing thats its taking the ram ?

what motherboard do you have ?

Ittiz
17-06-2005, 04:48 PM
I see it in the bios and start up screen. I have a DFI lan Party SLI-DR for a motherboard. Also something of note when I put empire earth II in and looked at the specs it saw for the graphics on my machine. It said it had 512 megs of video memory and 512 megs of AGP memory. Neither of which make sense since the card has 256 megs of video memory and it's not an AGP card it's a PCI-Express! So that really makes me think it's related to the graphics card. Also the fact that the amount of missing memory changes when I have a differnt graphics board in.

tweak'e
17-06-2005, 05:05 PM
first of all the graphics board dosn't take ram from the system.

i suspect you have memory problems.

what type, size, single sided, dual sided etc ram do you have installed?

i wouldn't bother with what the games id things as..most get it wrong.

what bios ver do you have? i see there is an update .... "Enhanced memory compatibility"

Ittiz
17-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Well I know the memory isn't damaged. I tried each one by itself works fine. They are double sided ram sticks DDR400. I'll look for the bios update. could fix the problem I guess. I really do think this is caused by the bios since it does it regardless of operating system andf regardess of which ram sticks I use.

Graham L
17-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I suspect that you have problems with programmes. Programmes which report memory availability. :D The numeric range of a signed 32 bit integer is "+/- 2GB". Your 4 GB is likely to be confusing the programme. It's only very recently that memory in such quantity has been affordable. So it's very probable that programmes which have been around for a while will fall over or produce "odd" results.

pctek
17-06-2005, 05:59 PM
I said earlier the BIOS is probably reporting incorrectly. Update it.
Ignore what games say. I have one that when I ran its PC Specs test said my CPU is too slow - its said I had -2150mhz. Hahhaha. Game requires 450mhz CPU. Mine is an AMD 3500+. Oh and the game runs fine BTW.

bmason
17-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Is your version of windows 32 or 64bit?

If its 32bit it might be because the graphics card is stealing address space (rather than memory) which is limited to 4gb total. If so you will need to move to a 64bit OS to use all 4gb (32bit windows is also limited to 2gb per process).

Ittiz
18-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I updated the bios. It increased my system's stability with 4gigs of ram but 1.25 gigs are still not being seen. :( I am using a 32bit version. But that is only after I found that non of the software I used worked on the 64bit version. The 1.25gigs was still missing with the 64bit version as well. Although I guess there is a possibility that the bios is assuming a 32bit operating system, which wouldn't make much sense since the mobo only does 64bit amd cpus.

Ittiz
18-06-2005, 01:38 PM
DFI posted a new BIOS update today. It mostly fixed the problem now it sees 3.25gb insted of 2.75. So that's an improvment of 512 megs.

Graham L
18-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Many computer programmers have trouble with arithmetic (as many users have problems with spelling;)) . There's a branch of computing/mathematics called "Numerical methods" which deals with it.

I suppose part of the problem is that most today have been taught to use calculators at school and trust the answers (to the Xth decimal place :() and hope that computers will produce corrrect answers too.:groan: :badpc:

E|im
18-06-2005, 06:39 PM
For systems with over 2GB of RAM you need to use a special switch in the Boot.ini file. :)

Linkage (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037&Product=winsvr2003).

By the way, what's the rest of your system specs and why do you need 4GB of RAM? :horrified

Ittiz
19-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I got it to see all 4gb (the BIOS). With the BIOS update they posted yesterday I just had to switch on "remap PCI above 4G". I was a little aprehensive to do that since when I turn that option on before I updated the BIOS the computer would even boot far enough for me to reenter the bios and I had to reset them. But with the new BIOS update it works fine. On a side note Win XP won't boot with the /3GB in the boot.ini. Which seems weird because it will boot when I only have 1gb of ram in.

Ittiz
19-06-2005, 08:39 AM
System Specs:
CPU: AMD64 4000+ (San Diego Core)
Mother Board: DFI LanParty SLI-DR
Cooling: Thermaltake Beetle on CPU (keeps my CPU at 30C/86F), 4 case fans (2 10cm, 2 8cm)
Case: Coolermaster CM stacker
Memory: Four 1GB Corsair DDR400 modules 3-3-3-7
Storage: Two 250GB Western Digital SATAII harddrives with 16mb cach. (not in raid)
GFX: ATI Radeon X850 Plantinum Edition PCI-E
Media: ATI TV Elite card for TV and radio

I think that's about it. I used 4gb of ram because I got a system 4 years ago and made the mistake of skimping on ram, and only putting 256megs in it. I learned my lesson.

pctek
19-06-2005, 11:02 AM
System Specs:
CPU: AMD64 4000+ (San Diego Core)
Mother Board: DFI LanParty SLI-DR
Cooling: Thermaltake Beetle on CPU (keeps my CPU at 30C/86F), 4 case fans (2 10cm, 2 8cm)
Case: Coolermaster CM stacker
Memory: Four 1GB Corsair DDR400 modules 3-3-3-7
Storage: Two 250GB Western Digital SATAII harddrives with 16mb cach. (not in raid)
GFX: ATI Radeon X850 Plantinum Edition PCI-E
Media: ATI TV Elite card for TV and radio

I think that's about it. I used 4gb of ram because I got a system 4 years ago and made the mistake of skimping on ram, and only putting 256megs in it. I learned my lesson.
2Gb would have been enough - you can always add more later.
Whats the full specs, PSU, DVD, Mouse etc etc
Mines:
AMD 64 3500+
ASUS A8N-SLI
2 x 512Mb DDR400 Legend
XP-90 with 120mm Vantec Stealth
TT Tsunami
1 x Seagate 80Gb IDE
SB Live
Liteon 16x DVD/CDRW
FDD
Logitech Elite KB
Logitech MX510 mouse (blue)
17" CRT (nothing special)
MSI X850XT 256Mb not PE

And my husband thought that was excessive, hehe. :eek:

Ittiz
19-06-2005, 12:43 PM
PSU:Thermaltake Pure Power 680W
mouse: 4 button optical intellimouse
keyboard: generic logitech
Sound: 5.1 surround (system can do 7.1 surround)
Monitor: Optiquest not LCD or CRT (max res:1856x1392)
Drives:One DVD one CD R/RW

Some misc things: Remote control, 10 USB ports, speed control for CPU fan on front :^), 2 Fire Wire ports, two gigabit lan ports.

That's all I can think of. When I was shopping for parts I looked at the XP-90 cooler but since I will have to move my comp often anything above 600g would be risky. Besides my mother board is so cramed I had to take some of the extra flare (Useless plastic parts) off the beetle to get it to fit. The beetle was the most effecient thing I found for it's size.

E|im
19-06-2005, 02:40 PM
But with the new BIOS update it works fine. On a side note Win XP won't boot with the /3GB in the boot.ini. Which seems weird because it will boot when I only have 1gb of ram in.
If I read the article correctly just try it with just the /PAE switch like so:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE

You may only get to 3.5GB usable in Windows, the motherboard may use the rest of the memory. However if you upgrade to XP64 in the future you should get the full use of the 4GB.

Have a search on here (http://forums.2cpu.com) they often encounter these issues because lots of them run big servers/workstations that need lots of RAM. Post a question as well, you should get a definite answer to the problem.

pctek
19-06-2005, 05:31 PM
PSU:Thermaltake Pure Power 680W
mouse: 4 button optical intellimouse
keyboard: generic logitech
Sound: 5.1 surround (system can do 7.1 surround)
Monitor: Optiquest not LCD or CRT (max res:1856x1392)
Drives:One DVD one CD R/RW

Some misc things: Remote control, 10 USB ports, speed control for CPU fan on front :^), 2 Fire Wire ports, two gigabit lan ports.
My god. What do you do for a living?! :horrified

Ittiz
20-06-2005, 09:32 AM
If I read the article correctly just try it with just the /PAE switch like so:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE

Hmm I'll try it. Just not in a big hurry because it's a pain in the butt to fix it once windows won't boot anymore :@@:. Since I use an NTFS file system it's dangerous to alter it using a bootable slax disk.

Ittiz
20-06-2005, 09:56 AM
My god. What do you do for a living?! :horrified

Well I only buy a new computer every once in a blue moon so it has to last me :p. Also when I do get new parts I will probably recycle some of these. My monitor for instance, is from my last computer.