PDA

View Full Version : Backups, Procedures - How?

beetle
16-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I save important things to CD, mostly just assignments and photos.......

The easy way i spose. burn to cd and thorw away later....:p

How do others do this? what steps do you take or what programs do you use???

is there an easy step by step link to read? recomend or other to look at,
im not into the whole comp saves, just docs, photos and maybe music later...

i think i need to revise or learn new methods to save from the stress brigade.

:rolleyes:
beetle

Metla
16-06-2005, 09:52 PM
I just decide what I want backed up and burn it to cd.

out of about 160gb of data I recently backed up about 10gb as worth keeping, Even then most of it is reduntent as its on multiple comps and cd's already.Probally have less then a GB of stuff that would really matter (photo's,paperwork)

I don't make ghost images or any other such nonsence, When I need to format I want the latest everything,not what I configured 6 months ago.

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Im with Metla... With 2x 120GB HDD's and an 80gb (Admittedly most would only need archiving once), it'd be a ***** to put on even DVD's (320/4.38 = 70 odd DVD's).

I'll occasionally backup my /home folder (tar/gzip it up first) and then put 'er onto DVD, but just when I get around to remembering. I preach the word but dont live by it, backups just dont work for me mostly.....

My dad however backs up weekly to an external DVD+/-RW Drive I put together for him. Just uses Nero 6.

The advantage of Nero is if you're only doing a few hundred odd megs, it can import the last session and only backup what files have changed or are new since the last burn automatically for you :)

Chill.

Jen
16-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Don't forget the PF1 FAQ's Beetle :)

FAQ #40 - How do I backup my important files? Which files should I back up? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_40 )