PDA

View Full Version : Video card or mobo problem?

Kray
16-06-2005, 11:45 AM
When I turn my computer on, the monitor doesn't even flinch. It's like it's not getting a signal. I switched out the video card but it still doesn't work. Could this be a motherboard problem?

I also put the video card in another computer and then that computer didn't have an monitor activity either.

Overdrive_5000
16-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Sounds like they both might be had it, try using another monitor. Does the rest of the pc turn on ?

Kray
16-06-2005, 06:43 PM
The PC turns on normally, it just seems as though it's not sending a video signal. Switching monitors didn't work either.

Should I just buy a new mobo and card?

Overdrive_5000
16-06-2005, 07:48 PM
How many different video cards have you tried ? Your Agp socket is probably busted. You will probably have to get a new mobo. Was your system functional before, or did it just one day poo itself ?

tweak'e
16-06-2005, 09:29 PM
there are heaps of reasons from faulty psu, ram failure, vid card, mobo etc.

a mates pc was doing the same thing, i found the modem card had fried.

chiefnz
17-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Before you go buying anything new, remove everything off the mobo... that is PCI and AGP cards.

Use a different graphics card and install that and see if anything happens. Basically keep adding or removing hardware until you find the culprit? As stated before could be faulty RAM... are there any audible beeps when you start up the PC?

cheers

chiefnz

Kray
17-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I'll list everything that was in when I tried to start it

-hard drive
-floppy drive
-DVD drive
-CD burner
-video card
-network card
-usb 2.0 card
-2 256mb RAM cards
This is how it was when it first messed up. I turn on the computer and it worked fine but after a short while the picture messes up. After restarting a couple times it keeps happening.

1. I switch the RAM sticks around and boot it up. It get's to the windows loading screen before freezing.

2. I take out the video card and put it back in. Doesn't do anything

3rd try -stuff plugged in-
-Hard drive
-Floppy drive
-USB 2.0
-GeForce 4
-RAM
-network
Boot it up, it turns on, everything spins, but the monitor doesn't blink. No beeps either (but I don't remember if it ever beeped in the first place).

I switch the video card with a friends and still no response from the monitor. I also switch the RAM and it still doesnt do any good. I also discover that my GeForce in his rig doesn't send a signal to the monitor.

We were gonna switch power supplies but didn't think it would do anything.

So should I just buy a new mobo?

KiwiTT_NZ
17-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Does your mobo have integrated graphics. Plug it into that, to eliminate the mobo as the source of the problem.

Agent_24
17-06-2005, 12:55 PM
perhaps the mobo's agp killed itself and took your video card out with it..?

I was testing a computer where something on the mobo had failed and fried the ram with excess voltage.

Mr_Rain313
17-06-2005, 02:24 PM
i had tha same problem have you tried disconecting the monitor from tha videocard and plug it into the motherboard then reset your monitor settings

Kray
18-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Mobo doesn't have it's own integrated graphics :(

Edward
18-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Mobo doesn't have it's own integrated graphics :(

Tried a PCI graphics card? You should be able to pick one up for $5 at a 2nd hand PC shop/PC recycling shop. They're pretty rare though

Kray
18-06-2005, 03:49 PM
pc shops themselves are rarities here.