PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal?

doodaddy
16-06-2005, 09:03 AM
During startup (before Windows ever came into play), it would freeze. Even when I was in the Setup Configuration. Just freeze screen, completely not responding. I assumed it was OS problems, took my hard drive out, and loaded all of my files onto a network harddrive. (So I haven't lost info ). I pop the hard drive back in, and the lights would flash (the L.E.D.'S on the front and the one signaling power is on) and then turn off.

I'm guessing either motherboard or powersupply? It was a nice power supply, Aspire 500W. Less than 5 months old. I've got my stock one from the case I bought, but it's 350W and I'm scared it would be large enough. Aside from the fact that I was so depressed that it happened.

Your thoughts? Does Newegg have any type of warranty system?

Thanks,

Garin

pctek
16-06-2005, 09:21 AM
You would be surprised how little watts you really need. Anyway plug the old PSU in for test purposes - that will quickly and easily eliminate one thing even if its not.
Then if it isn't power, try RAM next.

doodaddy
17-06-2005, 04:59 AM
I'll check that when I get home. Someone else had mentioned it being the ram, but would that cause it not to respond when I try to turn it on?

pctek
17-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I'll check that when I get home. Someone else had mentioned it being the ram, but would that cause it not to respond when I try to turn it on?
If the RAM is dead, yes.

Myth
17-06-2005, 09:55 AM
If it was the RAM, in MOST cases the BIOS would let you know by giving an audible error code (usually one long beep although it depends on which BIOS version you use). One short beep is a normal start (though once again some BIOSs have different codes).

FoxyMX
17-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Does Newegg have any type of warranty system?
They seem to have quite specific terms for their standard warranty. Check out this page (http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/StandardWarranty.asp).

pctek
17-06-2005, 01:12 PM
If it was the RAM, in MOST cases the BIOS would let you know by giving an audible error code (usually one long beep although it depends on which BIOS version you use). One short beep is a normal start (though once again some BIOSs have different codes).
Actually thats not true. I have had numerous cases where the ram has died and no beeps are given. It will give you beeps in some situations but not all.

doodaddy
21-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Not a RAM issue. Changed RAM and the problem is still occuring. I thought it was kind of odd that both sticks of RAM went out at the same time? I'm thinking it's the board, but am dreading the thought. I was never happy with this board to begin with. (ECS KT-600A).

drcspy
21-06-2005, 03:39 PM
check the board for bulging capacitors, (the little rounded cylinderical thingys all over the board) if you have any bulging or leaking brownish fluid then they're stuffed.......also check for dust between your fan and heatsink on the processor.......that can cause it to overheat VERY fast......

drcspy
21-06-2005, 03:40 PM
and run a diagnostic on the hard drive try www.seagate.com 'seatools'.....

doodaddy
21-06-2005, 04:14 PM
and run a diagnostic on the hard drive try www.seagate.com 'seatools'.....
Hard to run a diagnostic on the hard drive when the PC won't boot. The PC I'm on now is an old Packard Bell from the 1995 age, so I don't think it would support SATA. lol.

No dust, no bulging capacitors.

doodaddy
02-07-2005, 02:32 PM
No ideas?

bartsdadhomer
02-07-2005, 02:40 PM
*ECS KT-600A*
Probably says it all really, not great Motherboards
Have you ever successfully booted up with this board?
I'm assuming you have, as you had files on the drive you needed saved?

Try the other PSU
If still no joy then buy another board (Not an ECS)