PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for free web space

Glenn
15-06-2005, 10:54 PM
You would think that if my little ISP could offer 5MB of free web space that the almighty Telecom lord of all ISPs could be as generous. I have found that not to be the case since my big leap to Jetstream. Any one using something they can recommend?

Thanks

mark c
15-06-2005, 11:05 PM
5 megs with my 10$ a month ISP works fine. What sort of supersite you thinking of launching? As for the the mean spiritedness / business efficiency of Telecon....welll.
................m

andrew93
15-06-2005, 11:09 PM
You could host it yourself using no-ip although it's probably in breach of the Xtra T&C's.

Rob99
15-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Orcon - NZ
Portland - UK - slow but good.

netchicken
16-06-2005, 08:13 AM
5 megs with my 10$ a month ISP works fine. What sort of supersite you thinking of launching? As for the the mean spiritedness / business efficiency of Telecon....welll.
................m
cough cough ... 5 meg??
I may be able to offer you a subdomain on my site for free, the only problem is working out how to get ftp access to that subdomain only. Otherwise I have heaps of gigs left. PM me if your interested

Glenn
16-06-2005, 08:49 AM
I bought my domain a few years ago so I could have email accounts for my business. I just want to have a single page with my logo and contact details on the web page. For that Telecom will gladly charge $300/year. Isn't that generous?

I did a google for free web space and it turned up heaps of sites. I was just wondering how dodgy they were and if anyone had experience using them.

Thanks

Strommer
16-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Glenn. I have had two Tripod.com web sites for the last 7 years and can recommend them. Geocities has also been popular for ages. With any of the free sites, advertising can be removed by paying a monthly / annual fee, but if you want to see if they are any good then just set up a free account first.

Maybe you could give us a list of free sites that you found via Google?

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Orcons freehost, as Rob99 said - It'll do just the ticket :)

Prescott
16-06-2005, 09:33 PM
what do you want to do with the free space? back up your files to it? if you want to do that you could get yourself another gmail email address and make it into a gmail drive (http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm)

Strommer
16-06-2005, 11:08 PM
what do you want to do with the free space? back up your files to it? if you want to do that you could get yourself another gmail email address and make it into a gmail drive (http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm)

From the link above:

Installation Requirements
Internet Explorer 5 or better
:(