PDA

View Full Version : VGA Extension...Filter Vs Non Filter

Metla
15-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Just put in an order for a VGA extension cable, Was presented with the choice of an unfiltered cable, or one with a inline filter for 5 times the cost.

I went ahead and chose the filtered option, Anyone know what the purpose of the filter or any benifit of it will be?

I have a couple of ideas, but they opose each other, so one must be way off.....,.

AlphabetSoup
15-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Your post has me scratching my head, although I must admit I am no VGA extension cable guru.

I've seen inline filters used for the purpose of obtaining a clean and clear line for telephone calls and data transmission. In that instance though it was technically a DSL Inline Filter.

Such a filter will eliminate interference between DSL and analog lines in the home. You simply attach it between a telephone wall jack and each device in use (such as a fax machine, answering machine or analog modem) for noise free telephone lines.

Theoretically, an inline filter on a VGA cable would also be there for the purpose of suppressing noise, however in this instance the noise would more than likely appear as annoying lines on your monitor.

Regards,

Timothy

Metla
15-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, I would presume the cable could perhaps pick up interference that would degarde the picture quality, My other thought is that it is maybe giving out something that can affect other gear.

personally I hope the extra expense went towards picture quality, im fine with invisible rays of death, if I cant see them its all good.

Probally be more fun if I could see them though, Warning visitors to dodge the VISIBLE rays of Death would be pretty sweet.

As for filters, They are common place on USB cables.....I have a box of spares.....

Metla
16-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Alrighty, I have been informed that the maximum length of an unfiltered VGA cable is 5m, where as a filtered cable can be up to 30m.(this would be the main selling point i reckon)

Claims are also being made that signal quality is far superior

Also that the cable suports higher resolutions then unfilterd cables and can rectify issues of poor signels to LCD screens (this is on short cables)

So, Thats the spin, I think the filtered cable was a wise choice.

Agent_24
16-06-2005, 06:57 PM
yep, filtered sounds like the good choice - I have a VGA extension cable that is obviously not filtered, and it generates a ghosting effect if it's positioned a bad way.

Cicero
16-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Alrighty, I have been informed that the maximum length of an unfiltered VGA cable is 5m, where as a filtered cable can be up to 30m.(this would be the main selling point i reckon)

Claims are also being made that signal quality is far superior

Also that the cable supports higher resolutions then unfiltered cables and can rectify issues of poor signals to LCD screens (this is on short cables)

So, Thats the spin, I think the filtered cable was a wise choice.
I am surprised more info wasn't forthcoming from the forum.G_F must have taken up residence in Baker St.