PDA

View Full Version : XP - how to get SP 1 without SP 2?

Greg
15-06-2005, 02:41 PM
How can I update someone's XP (pro) computer to SP1 without infesting it with SP2?

Thx

E|im
15-06-2005, 02:47 PM
On one of the PC world disks maybe. Or look on the web for SP1 network version "redist" or something.

b1naryb0y
15-06-2005, 02:58 PM
You can find more information about Windows XP Service Pack 1a from here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx)

Here is download page for the network installation (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/network.mspx) (134Mb)

Greg
15-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks.

Renmoo
15-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Why don't you want to install SP2? SP2 provides a whole lot of vital security updates and definition as well to a Xp machine...

Cheers :)

Elephant
15-06-2005, 06:30 PM
How can I update someone's XP (pro) computer to SP1 without infesting it with SP2?

Thx

SP2 works here.
Why would you think SP2 is an infestation?

I have a Win XP SP1 CD here before I went to SP2.

Want a copy?

Joe Blogs
16-06-2005, 12:31 AM
You can download SP1 from here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxpsp1.html

But like the others here I think you would be better off going with SP2.

Agent_24
16-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I can think of a few reasons why SP2 is annoying, but not "an infestation"... Anyway here's a list of the main things I don't like about Sp2:

1) The new firewall is over-protective (and turns on by itself after you disable it)
2) Any customised bootscreen is trashed (even the old MS one)
3) you have to press accept just about everytime you try to run an executable (because of the 'this might be harmful software rubbish')
4) Try to open a bitmap that has accidentally been renamed to jpg, the sp2 protection goes crazy, refuses to let you open the file and then deletes it for you (permanently, not just recycle bin - good thing there are such programs as norton systemworks)
5) The 'Information Bar' in IE is un-informative and very annoying
6) The popup blocker has to notify you everytime it blocks a popup window, and is useless - on a popup-blocker test website it allowed all 10 popups, and even admitted to the crime
7) If you have an A4-tech USB mouse, You will definently want to download the new SP2 compatible drivers for it BEFORE you install SP2, unless you like to see a BSOD when your computer is supposed to be booting.

SurferJoe46
16-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I can think of a few reasons why SP2 is annoying, but not "an infestation"... Anyway here's a list of the main things I don't like about Sp2:

1) The new firewall is over-protective (and turns on by itself after you disable it)
2) Any customised bootscreen is trashed (even the old MS one)
3) you have to press accept just about everytime you try to run an executable (because of the 'this might be harmful software rubbish')
4) Try to open a bitmap that has accidentally been renamed to jpg, the sp2 protection goes crazy, refuses to let you open the file and then deletes it for you (permanently, not just recycle bin - good thing there are such programs as norton systemworks)
5) The 'Information Bar' in IE is un-informative and very annoying
6) The popup blocker has to notify you everytime it blocks a popup window, and is useless - on a popup-blocker test website it allowed all 10 popups, and even admitted to the crime
7) If you have an A4-tech USB mouse, You will definently want to download the new SP2 compatible drivers for it BEFORE you install SP2, unless you like to see a BSOD when your computer is supposed to be booting.

1) If you use a different program, like ZoneAlarm or AVG, it'll stay off.
2) I must say I haven't seen that yet..perhaps you mean the splash-screen before the Windows sign in?
3) Who runs .exe's in Windows anyway? Use Firefox to get the downloads, and run them from there. The Download Manager is friendlier too on FF.
4) Again, another Windows foible..do this from Firefox and avoid all the heartache.
5) Windows has NEVER had informative error messages, help files, or anything else that requires mere humans to interface with it. This is not a change for better or worse.
6) I'd rather have this annoyance than none at all..after all it gets lonely at this desk.
7) this is true of so many things we try to force Windows to use. If it works for someone to install the updates first for their usb peripherals, then I think (IMHO) that it is well worth the added inconvenience to get the holes in M$ filled by the originators of the code writing. A little loss of function in a usb mouse is a small price to pay, again IMHO.
8) (my own addition here) SP-2 is very important, as are all the later HOT-FIXES that M$ sends. I just ask M$ for them and they mail them to me on a CD-ROM.
9) NO! I do not work for M$

...and one of the things you missed is: Micro$oft WORD will get all messed up with the latest Hot Fixes, but I understand that M$ is working on that...I just use OpenOffice or WordPerfect 10 until then instead.

Peter H
16-06-2005, 03:37 PM
3) Who runs .exe's in Windows anyway?
Silly me - I thought, for all these years, that was the way to open or run a program. Please explain the right way?
Thanks

Overdrive_5000
16-06-2005, 03:47 PM
3) Who runs .exe's in Windows anyway?
Silly me - I thought, for all these years, that was the way to open or run a program. Please explain the right way?
Thanks

I think they mean running exe's from IE when you start the download eg when you choose Open or save. Thats when it will spit the dummy

Peter H
16-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks - never thought anyone would be silly enough to do that, but I suppose we all learnt the hard way. Without Windows holding our hand.
Bye

Agent_24
16-06-2005, 06:58 PM
When clicking run in the IE download windows, you can be guaranteed it will ask you, but I'm talking about just opening say an installer from a normal folder.