PDA

View Full Version : Ripping CD Audio

Mike
15-06-2005, 12:16 PM
My wife has made me move my computer downstairs, and so I want to be able to rip some of our CDs onto the PC (since the stereo I would have listened to them on is upstairs) so I have something to listen to down in the dark cold dungeon ;)

Anyway, I have 3 programs here that seem to be able to rip CD audio tracks - WMP10, Winamp, and Nero Media Player. They can each rip to different formats with different bitrates and all that...

So...

What program, format, bitrate, etc. should I use for acceptable results? The audio will be played through fairly large loud speakers, not standard PC desktop speakers (if that makes any difference.

WMP10 will do WMA or MP3,
Winamp will do WAV, MP3, MP4, or Raw AAC
Nero Media Player will do WMA, MP3, Nero Digital Audio, TwinVQ, WAV, or AIFF.

I am picking not some of the ones that Nero Media Player offers, as I think then I can only use that to play them?

I would rather (for convenience) use programs I already have (and would use to play back) to do the ripping - so any suggestions of other third party apps to rip needs to include the advantages of using them over what I've got.

Thanks
Mike.

PS I have heard that OGG (or something) is a decent format to use? What plays and rips that format? Cheers!

plod
15-06-2005, 12:35 PM
at least 128bit rate, as for what format that all depends on how much HD space you have. Formats are a personal choice, what you might think sounds good might sound crap to somebody else.......
I rip mine at 128 and use aac format

tweak'e
15-06-2005, 12:38 PM
i prefer cdex for ripping cd's.

as far as format goes every one has their favorites.

WMA is not great tho the latest codecs have improved somewhat.

OGG (personal favorite) good filesize to quailty ratio, easy to use but not a lot of hardware players (eg home stero) can play it. most pc music progs support it (or pluins advailable).

MP3 good but only when used with a good codec with good settings. can be tricky to use to get the best quailty file size ratio.

flac and monkeys lossless codecs. perfect copies at about half the size of wave files. no loss in quality but large file size. good if you have lots of space.

Peterj116
15-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Can't help you, there.
I'm too busy laughing at

My wife has made me move my computer downstairs...
I know the feeling.

http://www.pwasoh.com/phunies/geeklove/GET_OFF

:D

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Im with Tweak'e, even 96kbps OGG audio seems to be pretty comparible to 192kbps mp3....

If you're just going to listen to it on your PC, then OGG all the way.

If you think that at a later date you may get an mp3 player or the likes, then stick to mp3.

Cdex Ive heard wonders about, but Im usually too lazy to get anything else, so I just use Quintessential Media Player when on Windows (only at work...)

Chill.

Nicky
15-06-2005, 05:58 PM
CDEX is good, especially if you activate its "Full Paranoia" option, which checks as well as it can that it has extracted a continuous sequence of data from the music CD. Otherwise, your extracted sound may contain clicks and hops due to "jitter" as the CD is read, though much depends on the quality of your CD reader, and the health of the CD. Usually (...) this is not a problem. Unlike windows media player, it does not lay entrapment over "Digital Rights Management", nor does it send summaries to microsoft as to what music/video you are playing. :mad:
I prefer the .ogg encodement but alas, although it is an open standard, I have yet to hear of a portable player (walkman-like) for it; everyone seems to stick to .mp3 even though the manufacturers have to pay a royalty to the Fraunhofer Institute (designer of .mp3) rather than zero for .ogg
To play your music, I suggest CoolPlayer, which loads in a blink (unlike the bloated wunduhs mudia player) and gives good sound. It does not have any video aspect. Just a music player.
You can get further away from windows media player by using something else to play your videos...

Does your wife provide a tea and snacks service for you in the cellar? :thumbs:

EX-WESTY
15-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Are you a man or a mouse?

Stand your ground up move it back upstairs!

MP3's encoded as Joint Stereo at as high a bit rate as you've got room for, after all harddrives are only around a $1 per Gb or less
Far better than the $100+ of some 5-6 years ago.

My choice 320Kb
and if you want a lossless MP3 then do them as a Shim

Agent_24
16-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Mp3 @ 128kb/s when ripping, but anything 128 or above when I download. Everything's pretty fine for me like that although I'm not obsessive about my audio quality.

Mike
16-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys - you've given me some options to think about...

As for moving back upstairs - I dunno if it'll work ;) I have to keep her happy else I don't get to buy lots more gear :p

Mike.

gradebdan
16-06-2005, 10:52 AM
GET NEW WIFE!!

Mike
16-06-2005, 11:03 AM
GET NEW WIFE!!Don't be rude. :mad:

Mike.

Poppa John
16-06-2005, 09:43 PM
GET NEW WIFE!!

Mike,.. Don't listen to him, better the devil you know than the devil you don't!!
Don't listen to me either, I got a new wife & she is worth her weight in gold (& thats me saying that with no coercion, eh Dear?) PJ :help:

E|im
17-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Don't be rude. :mad:
j-j-j-joke.

Chill out. ;)

I was going to say use EAC. Best program out there, perfect rips to lossless quality. Unfortunately mine aint detecting my DVD drive anymore. Have to get it fixed.

Nicky
17-06-2005, 09:55 AM
To return to petty details, I tried repeated rips of a CD with no obvious scratches or smudges and found that EAC did not produce the same .wav file each time whereas CDEX (with "full paranoia") did. However, I didn't perform multiple tests on multiple CDs nor spend time investigating just what was going on... :annoyed:
I also have found that EAC would not work on some pc/CD reader and likewise, nor would CDEX on others. Likewise, the parameters of reading can be strange. I found for example with a CD reader of type X, informing the software that the reader was X led to failure with just zeroes read (!), while a type of "Generic" worked. On another computer, another combination of software and settings worked. :dogeye:

More practical: rip your wife's favourite music and hide the CDs so that to hear her music, she must venture down to your cellar and commune... :p