PDA

View Full Version : xp upgrades

Arnie
15-06-2005, 10:25 AM
For some months I have been unable download & install XP Home updates either automatic or going to site and selecting. It tells me I around 27 Security updates. I select and click install. The download install window comes up and just stays there for 10 minutes or so and then states it could it did not succeed. If I try to cancel everything freezes for a while. I am running XP Home with SP2. AMD 2.8 with 512 RAM & IE6 with Firefox also installed but not running unless I ask it to. How can I fix this?

Regards

Arnie :mad:

superoman
15-06-2005, 01:04 PM
In my experience for me it has been an issue with either antivirus or firewall.
Turning one of these off has fixed it form me (then turning it back on afterwards) Id try turning off the windows xp firewall or other firewall you may have first.

tweak'e
15-06-2005, 01:15 PM
check any ad blocking for IE you have installed.

also check host file it may be blocking the servers.

i've yet to see a firewall block it tho i might do if it has add blocking or one that modifies the headers (eg outpost)

being on the net without a firewall on an unpatched pc is not a good thing to do. at the very least have the stock windows one on.

also scan for spyware etc.

FrankS
15-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Had this problem sometime back, what I did was ensure one of the browsers was
listed as preferred, then using IE6 went to Custom install and only ticked the earliest update and installed it. Very tedious but ended up with 2 updates that were stuffing things up, these still are listed at each update and get ignored. Have Windows Firewall disabled, running Zone Alarm and Nortons AV 2004.
Would get your updates installed asap especially any security items.

Arnie
15-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks Guys

FankS

Yours was the only one that worked a LONG process and as you said some would not work. I still cannot understand why the upgrade site or auto upgrade still continues to freeze up and does nothing. Thanks any way.