PDA

View Full Version : Lunux Mandrake Fonts

Rob99
15-06-2005, 01:41 AM
Ya Me!! :D

I have finally got Linux installed after a few years trying, well I've had it installed many many times but have never been able to connect to the internet. This post is comming via Konqueror.

Now for the questions:

What fonts do you guys use, have tried Mozilla and now Konqueror and the font looks crap.

My display is 1024X768

Rob99
15-06-2005, 02:37 AM
How or where do I go to browse my network?

Rob99
15-06-2005, 01:51 PM
:confused:
:(
:badpc:
:D
:help:

Myth
15-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Congrats on getting Linux to access the net.. yes it does tend to be frustrating.
Im not too sure about the setup of Mandrake (as it lasted 3-4 hours on my harddrive before I deleted it.. clash with USB MS mouse) although I think it uses KDE.
I have just been using the default fonts for the time being.
I also use Firefox.
When you ask about your network... are you connected to a LAN? With Windows machines?

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Press Alt + F2 to get the "Run" box and type:
kcontrol

Now, IIRC, you can go:
Appearance/themes
--> Fonts
--> Tick "Use anti-aliased fonts"

Have a play around in the Control Center (kcontrol), there's heaps of goodies in there.

Also, for samba browsing, in Konqueror type:
smb://

This should list your workgroups, depending on how Mandrake have configured it
Otherwise, as root, type the following:
mkdir /mnt/samba
mount -t smbfs -o username=rob99,password=Passw0rd //192.168.0.123/sharename /mnt/samba

Welcome to the dark side....

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2005, 02:06 PM
On another note, IIRC Mandrake comes with smb4k - Another network samba share browser.

Myth
15-06-2005, 02:09 PM
What Chilling said :D

<thinks back.... did Chilling welcome me to the dark side>

<hmmph might have to go back to windows now :p>

Rob99
15-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks, will boot back to linux later tonight.

Can you reccomend any other distros.

I do a bit of web development, and figure I can test from my PC, if running linux.

+ the text editors apear to be better at highlighting tags.

Does anyone else use a wysiwyg GUI to develop with in linux, I have had a very breif look at Scream(think thats what it was called) and it looks prety good.

Elephant
15-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Why not use Windows?

Sorry for this but when people here say Windows is broke the answer will be Linux.
When IE6 is broke the answer will be another non Microsoft browser.

It appears to me that the whole answer will be to remove any Microsoft software and put anything else in its place.

So if anyone wants a computer built I suggest they ALL come with A version of Linux.

Which version of Linux is the correct one for all to use and will support all hardware?

If you went to a school and learn't Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc what use will the knowlege be?

Once apon a time most schools used Macs.

I have no problems with people using open source Operating Systems and software.

Point being that even the open source community can't agree.

Jen
15-06-2005, 07:35 PM

I do a bit of web development, and figure I can test from my PC, if running linux.

Go for Fedora then. Core 4 has just been released. Fedora is sort of a one-stop does all distro and can be a Desktop machine, a Workstation or a Server.

I normally select a Workstation as a base and then go on to customise it further with the tools or programs I like to use. This way you can have a functional Desktop OS's but can run your own webserver using Apache and php etc if you wish and have an in-house live webserver to test with. You can even host your own website to the outside world. All of these programs are included on the installation disks.

Rob99
15-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Why not use Windows?

Sorry for this but when people here say Windows is broke the answer will be Linux.
When IE6 is broke the answer will be another non Microsoft browser.

It appears to me that the whole answer will be to remove any Microsoft software and put anything else in its place.

So if anyone wants a computer built I suggest they ALL come with A version of Linux.

Which version of Linux is the correct one for all to use and will support all hardware?

If you went to a school and learn't Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc what use will the knowlege be?

Once apon a time most schools used Macs.

I have no problems with people using open source Operating Systems and software.

Point being that even the open source community can't agree.
You make some interesting points, I will try to answer from my stand point.

Windows does not immitate a linux server as well as linux OS does so therefore linux is the easy out for me.

IE6 is broke and has been for some time, not saying the other browsers are any better as they still need work to.

I dissagree when you say "the whole answer will be to remove any Microsoft software"; Microsoft do make good easy to use software.

Good luck with your Linux installs, I have found them very easy, but unless requested I would not even offer linux(probally cause I am still a novice).

So far I have only had troubles getting linux to use a software based internal modem, Microsoft is much luckier as most of the hardware manafactures write drivers to make there hardware work with windows.

I have learn't Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc, in my experience switching to a different office package, many of the skills can be transferred.

At high school I used an Apple IIe.

:@@:

Rob99
15-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Sounds good Jen, will wait till later in the billing cycle, I dont want to blow my 10Gb cap, any more and I pay(should figure out how much 4Gb will cost).

Can it be bought anyware cheaply? I see dse have core3.

Could someone post me a DVD :)

Morgenmuffel
16-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks, will boot back to linux later tonight.

Does anyone else use a wysiwyg GUI to develop with in linux, I have had a very breif look at Scream(think thats what it was called) and it looks prety good.

have you looked at nvu

http://www.nvu.com/

I haven't tried it, but it may be worth a crack

Myth
16-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Sounds good Jen, will wait till later in the billing cycle, I dont want to blow my 10Gb cap, any more and I pay(should figure out how much 4Gb will cost).

Can it be bought anyware cheaply? I see dse have core3.

Could someone post me a DVD :)
DSE New Plymouth think (unsure at this stage) that FC4 will be in store in a day or so.
Most Linux distros in DSE are about $10

Rob99
16-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Cheers. :thumbs: Probally get mine from dse, I couldnt stand to be with out internet for a few hours while downloading from jetstream games.

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Gotta love the fact you can leave it on 24/7 then, over night.

If you're anything like me, its too much hassle to load the routers webmin interface and configure it through that thou.... ;)