PDA

View Full Version : External HDD

taly
15-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi there!
Got myself a HDD Seagate 40GB with external enclousure. People say that with XP it is a must to install SP2, or it won't work Tried to download from Microsoft site and nothing happens. Is it free or what? And is it really necessary? :confused:
Thanks

taly
15-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi there!
Got myself a HDD Seagate 40GB with external enclousure. People say that with XP it is a must to install SP2, or it won't work Tried to download from Microsoft site and nothing happens. Is it free or what? And is it really necessary? :confused:
Thanks

Rob99
15-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Hopefully this answers your question.

You should be able to plug that device into any version of windows from ME onwards, and it should self detect, if the file system is Fat32, if it is NTFS it will only work with Win2000 onwards, dosent matter about SP2.

SP2 is free and can be downloaded through windows update. Or can be ordered on a CD from Microsoft.

Jen
15-06-2005, 07:36 AM
If SP2 is not being offered to you on the Windows Update site, then you probably already have it. If you go to Control Panel > System, under the General tab you should see your operating system version listed and +SP2 if it is installed.

Note, I've merged your duplicate threads you had created.

pctek
15-06-2005, 09:35 AM
It works on any O/S that supports USB. Win98 too. The difference with the older O/Ss is you will need to install the driver. The rest it sorts it itself.
SP2 (or SP1a) for that matter is for USB 2 support. If you have an older MB then USB 2 came as a motherboard driver. The newer motherboards don't include it, SP1a or SP2 (doesn't matter which) enables USB 2 for you.
Without it, the drive still works fine but only at USB1.1 speeds.

I have found its best to connect the hard drive to the PC via IDE and partition/format etc first. Then set it as master and put it in the enclosure.
Most useful too, I use mine all the time. And got an oldish Seagate and enclosure for my Father as well so he can use it to back stuff up as he wasn't keen on messing about burning to CDs.
Theres also a USB adapter you can get (USB to IDE), handy if you don't want the drive permanently in an enclosure. And as with them all, comes with a driver for older O/Ss.
Oh and its irrelevant whether you format it FAt32 or NTFS.
Win XP formatted in Fat32 will read NTFS. But Win98 won't is the only catch there.

taly
18-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi PCTEC!
Installed hdd as a slave inside and getting a message "Error1327. Invalid driveE:\". The dive enabled and working properly, according to device manager. But it show under "MY COMPUTER" as WDCAC13200B, while the drive is ST340014A. My PC is Athlon XP 1.2Ghz, MOBO Aopen XPhome OS.
There was slave drive, also Seagate ST32140A and was ok.
Any ideas?
Thanks

taly
18-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi! HDD detected ok, WDC is my master and Western Digital. Message with error probably relates to replased slave.
There is another message after detected IE drives:"no 80 cable installed."
Does it relate to ribbon cable?

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Yup thats what it means.

You need an IDE cable with a blue connection on one end. Which plugs into the motherboard IDE connection.

As shown by the pic here

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

pctek
18-06-2005, 06:20 PM
To clarify further:
IDE 40 cables have 40 wires. IDE 80 has 80 wires, if you compare them side by side you see the 40 looks "chunkier" sort of thing. It doesn't matter especially if you are not leaving it in there.

taly
20-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi guys! All systems go, just as u said! Thanks.

taly
21-06-2005, 01:31 PM
One more point. USB to IDE converter to use HDD inside and to copy master HDD, where to get them? I understand that it don't serve as a slave in this case.

Thanks
Taly

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2005, 01:37 PM
It'll be better to get an external case, which supports an IDE hdd, and connect it to a USB2 port, if u have USB2 on the system.

taly
22-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I already got an external enclousure and it is ok. I also have another pc and a spare HDD, so I thought it would be handy to use them inside with a USB to IDE converter. Just an idea. Less space on the desk etc.
What do you think?

godfather
22-06-2005, 01:17 PM
If you take the drive out of the USB enclosure, its just an ordinary IDE drive. No converter is required.

The USB enclosure is actually a [IDE to USB] converter, removing to enclosure means no extra conversion is required.

I can't imaging that you would want to go [IDE-USB] and then [USB-IDE] (which seems to be what you suggest)

But maybe I have misread the request?

taly
22-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I will put it differently. If I have spare HDD and want it installed inside and so that I can make mirror of master with os and all. Simply converter without enclosure. It is how I understood PCtec's unswer to my request in my thread "External HDD." Of course I can use my spare HDD as a third slave, but will it be equivalent to External HDD for complete backup?
Simply without need of another enclosure, power supply and space on the desk.

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Well unless u have IDE or SATA RAID, you wont be mirroring anything.

And there is no 3rd slave on a system.

There's only primary or secondary slave on a motherboard. (1 on each).

Unless u have SATA which is only master.

Or u have a PCI IDE / RAID card installed.