PDA

View Full Version : Word

beetle
14-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Ok, unusual request here.

I want to open new doc and add insert pics, (this bit is fine,)
but i want to add doc / data from another file, often, and without cut paste if pos. i do this on multiple pages, add new stuff every day.

but not always same data. basically i am taking core data and adding it to the journal and new page added. is the only way to add it, cut paste? or can i add a option for insert txt or something to the drop down list?

clear as mud?

i dont want to have to open multiple pages, docs at the same time.... and as they master copies i dont want to alter them or damage them any way....

lol

last requests....
:eek:

beetle

AlphabetSoup
14-06-2005, 10:49 PM
If I understood your post correctly you are wanting to copy data from another file into your Word document. These file(s) you are copying from may vary in source, that is, they may be various types of files generated from different software applications.

If that is the case then your best bet would be to embed the other file into your Word document, or link to the document if you prefer not to cause the actual Word Document to become too large.

Windows linking and embedding options make it possible to insert into documents objects, created by other programs - tables, pictures, mathematical formulas, diagrams, etcetera. The difference between linking and embedding is that the linked object is stored in a separate file and Word creates only a pointer to this file in order to display its contents in the document while the embedded object becomes a part of the document itself.

In order to embed an object, place the cursor at the location for embedding and choose an option from the Insert menu:

File, if you want to insert another file into the document,
Picture, if you want to insert a picture into the document,
Object, if you want to insert an object created with another program into the document.

When you insert a file, a file select dialog box will appear on the screen. This dialog box is similar to the open file dialog box. Note, that if you check the Link To File field, the specified file will not be inserted but just linked with the current one.

When you insert a picture, you will see a similar dialog box where picture type (File of type) and the corresponding file are specified.

If you want to insert an object of some other type (Insert-Object), you will see a dialog box Object Type for selecting the type of the object. The object types indicate programs used for creating them.

When you insert an object or double-click an already inserted one, the program used for creating will be launched - if it is installed on your computer. Some of these programs operate in the Word window, others operate independently. In the first case, you will return to the Word document by clicking the mouse outside the object area, while in the second case - by choosing File-Exit & Return to Word command in the program's window.

In order to insert an object that you are yet going to create, you have to use the Create New card the Insert-Object dialog box. The Create from File card of the same dialog box is used for inserting an already existing object or a part of it. The inserted or linked object can be edited in the usual way by the program it was created. When inserting or editing an embedded object (i.e. if the Link to File field is not checked), Word produces a copy of the file describing it. T he original file and the copy can be changed without interfering each other.

There is another way to insert data, created by other programs - using the clipboard. Data needed (text, table, picture) is selected during the operation of the other program and copied into the clipboard (e.g., using the Edit-Copy command). Then the Word window is activated and data is inserted at the specified place (Edit-Paste command).

Data, inserted in such a way, will not be linked to the file, retrieved from. If it is necessary to retain the link, you have to use Edit-Paste Special instead the usual Edit-Paste. Then check the Paste Link option in the opened dialog box.

If you are mainly using Excel programmes and wanting the data in them to be inside your Word document and updatable, then read this page which is quite good at explaining how to achieve this:

Inserting data from Excel into Word (http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/workingwithotherprograms/l/blexcellink.htm)

Regards,

Timothy

Scouse
15-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi beetle.
Can I clarify your problem/approach with you before simplifying the answer....
1. Do you have a main document to which you want to add regular updates?
or.
2. Do you have a main file from which you want to take extracts to add to newer documents?
If it is 1. above, do you want the additional material to be positioned at the end ofthe main document, like a journal, or do you want to pop the new material in at any selected place in to main document, as happens when you add to or pad-out things like family histories? Regards :confused:

beetle
15-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Er yeah that one....:p

um i want to copy from main doc, to place in new docs, and add pics or heading txt with it and save as is, or print / save.

the second one i spose.:p im doing progressive learning stories, and its easier to keep them in same file, document and add a new page every time i do one, sorta like a daily journal????

and i have master headings info i use to copy paste from at me to add new subject or heading into the journal...... wondered if i can get add txt to the drop down or have this master sheet doc more accesable?

:@@:
beetle

Jen
15-06-2005, 07:03 PM
My turn to have a go ... :p

You have the original documents that you wish to copy stuff (text/images) out of but you don't want to accidently trash them while doing this. Your "Journal" is an ongoing document that you wish to update daily whether by inserting stuff in the middle or at the end.

Make two folders, one called Masters (guess what goes in here) and the other called Copies. Make a copy of each Master and pop it into the Copies folder. Work with the copies only when you are copying and pasting into your working document. Delete the copies when you have finished. Keep your working "Journal" document in a third folder by itself where you can keep track of it. :thumbs:

Now if all of us are completely off the beaten track with the advice/assumptions so far, you best clarify your request further. :)

[Edit:] Okay! So you have posted whilst I was typing away and have clarified it futher ...

beetle
15-06-2005, 07:24 PM
LOL Jen ....

Yeah that sounds like it....i dont want to trash, disrupt or whatever my masters.... or the journal.............. but copy paste seems to take forever...

beetle

Scouse
15-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi Beetle.
There is no way you should be able to trash your MAIN document. No matter what you do to or with it, as you close it or save it, you will be asked if you want to save any changes. Don't be too hasty with clicking the answer - only you know whether you do or not. If you are copying material from it, the answer is NO. If you have inserted material in to it, the answer is YES.

To extract part of it - open it, highlight the part to be copied and right click/copy. Close you main file.
Open a new blank and right click/paste. If you have copied more than one section, click on Edit/Office Clipboard and click on the the one or more that you want. It will appear in the new doc. Name the new doc and save/close it.

To insert in to your main document either....
a. Open the main document, position the Insertion Point where you need the insert and type away, OR
b. Initially leave your main document closed. Open a new blank document and type your proposed insertion/new information, name it and save/close it. Open your main document, position the Insertion Point where you want the new information. Click on Insert/File and browse to your recently created and saved piece. Double click on it and it will appear where you want it in your main document.

Don't forget, with all this saving and closing, you always get the last option of saving changes - yes or no. Take ten minutes of your rare spare time to dummy run this with an old "main" file containing stuff that doesn't matter. The whole procedure takes only seconds. Good luck. :cool:

Billy T
15-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Take Jen's advice re master copies etc, and for the rest, copy and paste is about as simple, quick and easy as it gets.

With all due respect beetle, your track record on losing files etc suggests that anything more complicated will only lead to tears and a major recovery operation.

Just remember, never work on an original, always play with copies, and save after every successful step. That way if the next step turns to custard you just close without saving and reopen at the last "good" point.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

FoxyMX
15-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Beetle, you can protect a master document from changes if you change its attribute to Read Only. That means nothing will be able to be saved to it - you will only be able to do a Save As to make copies of it if any editing is done to it. That can be very handy.

To make a document Read Only, right click on it in Windows Explorer, choose Properties and tick the Read Only box.

Scouse
15-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Beetle. With all due respect to Billy.... when anyone says somethings like...With all due respect beetle, your track record on losing files etc suggests that anything more complicated will only lead to tears and a major recovery operation to you, spit in his or her eye. You're a mature young woman, possibly raising a family, sharing in running a business and undertaking tertiary studies. "Only lead to tears, etc." What a load of cods. Just enjoy it. :cool:

beetle
15-06-2005, 10:14 PM
:stare: :groan:

so......im a clutz.............thanxs.