PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Problems

Overdrive_5000
14-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi people I brought a pci firewire card (DSE) and DSE firewire cable (ilink) the other day so I could could do some editing. When I connect it up to my pc it takes forever to detect when it does I try to capture the video and the pc pretty much freezes up and the only way to free it up is to turn of my camcorder. All drivers are installed. When I connect up via usb seems ok except I have no sound but thats probably a setting somewhere.

My specs are:
Amd 2400XP
1Gig Ram
120Gig HDD
XP Home SP2

I have tried several capturing programs all have the same result. Im thinking that either the cable or the card is faulty, I guess its my fault for buying a dse branded product. Any ideas folks am I right ??? :confused:

berryb
14-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Why use firewire? Is your PC only USB 1? Anyway maybe a reinstall of the firewire card and software may help.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Some firewire cards get screwed up with nic's.

Check the 1394 connection under my network places.

Under properties/TCP. Is it on Obtain an ip?

And are you using the power for the cam? While its connected? And how many watts, is the PSU in the case?

Firewire is faster than USB for video. Thats why he's using it.

Overdrive_5000
14-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Yep it on auto ip, PSU is 300 watt and the cam is running off its battery

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmm might help if u connect the cam to power.

It might make a diff Overdrive. And then connect it to the firewire port. The PSU may not be enough to deal with a cam running off a battery.

Overdrive_5000
14-06-2005, 09:43 PM
So you mean hook the cam up to its charger ? The cam is a Sony DCR-TRV285E

plod
14-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Why use firewire? Is your PC only USB 1? Anyway maybe a reinstall of the firewire card and software may help.
because it's the best way to import video!

plod
14-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Hmm might help if u connect the cam to power.

It might make a diff Overdrive. And then connect it to the firewire port. The PSU may not be enough to deal with a cam running off a battery.
Shouldn't make a difference, if the battery hasn't got anoth juice camera will just turn off, in saying that i always plug camera into mains as it is a pain in camera stops during import.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2005, 09:52 PM
So you mean hook the cam up to its charger ? The cam is a Sony DCR-TRV285E

If the charger is also part of the power supply yup....

Some cam chargers like the one I use (panasonic dS30A).

The battery goes on top of the power supply (it slots in), which also acts as the charger (BUT only when the battery is put on top).

When the battery isnt on top, it also acts as the power supply.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Shouldn't make a difference, if the battery hasn't got anoth juice camera will just turn off, in saying that i always plug camera into mains as it is a pain in camera stops during import.

True but depending on what else Overdrive has in the system, with a 300W, the internal devices may zap most of the power needed for things like the USB and firewire ports. ie. Thats why if USB ports dont work on a low PSU, a powered USB hub comes in handy.

Overdrive_5000
14-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I will try that 2morrow but it still sounds fudged to me, I will probably try the more expensive one (XS6964) on dse site

Overdrive_5000
14-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Also I had to unplug my floppy drive so I could plug in the auxiliary power on the card

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Also I had to unplug my floppy drive so I could plug in the auxiliary power on the card

Err I think your card is the same as mine, i got from DSE. You shouldnt need the aux power to use the card. Thats just an option.

There's a jumper on that card, that lets u use all 3 ports on the back (its set as default, so all 3 ports on the back of the case work) or use aux, (but only 2 of the firewire ports on the back will work), if youre connecting to something like a front firewire port. Is this what you've done??

Are you plugging the cam into the back of the card or to a connection on the front of the case?? Using the internal connection on the firewire card?

berryb
14-06-2005, 11:54 PM
because it's the best way to import video!

If only using one device on USB2 ie the camera, then USB2 is fine, actually slightly faster transfer speed than firewire (so I'm told). I use both and find no difference.

Overdrive_5000
15-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I was using the connections on the back of the card

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2005, 05:24 PM
If only using one device on USB2 ie the camera, then USB2 is fine, actually slightly faster transfer speed than firewire (so I'm told). I use both and find no difference.

There will be a difference if you're into video editing, between USB2 and firewire. Firewire is faster.

Overdrive_5000
15-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Finally got it working through firewire, Now im not too impressed with the quality of the captured video I have tried several programs but Microsoft Movie maker 2 worked the best is there any way to increase the quality ? (I have already disabled the preview pane)

Speedy: It must have been the power thing cos I plugged it into the charger/power supply and it went without locking up

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Good to hear its finally going there Overdrive!

Umm the captured video will only be as good as how it was taken.

If the video when playing it from the cam, is choppy, or not that good, it wont be any better once u capture it in XP.

I would say, if you upped the PSU to 400-450W +, you wont need to use power for the cam.

BUT yup, it sounds like whatever is inside your case, its zapping most of the power, in which case, there isn't quite enough power to power maybe some or all the USB ports, and the firewire ports.