PDA

View Full Version : Installing IE6

G-Boy
14-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Windows ME. I did a ME install over top of my existing one to solve a problem, and it did, but now according to Microsoft Update, and Everest, i only have IE5.50. I have run IE6 setup from pcWorld cd, and Microsoft web site, but both seem to get to 91% install and stop, saying all components could not be installed, close all running programs and run setup again. When i do this and try to run setup again, it promps for a restart to finish previous instalation. Upon reboot a box appears asking to rerun IE6 setup, and so the same drama begins again. it never completes. I used to have IE6 and was up to date with all patches prior to ME install. Is there anyway to uninstall IE5 or something first? It is not a option in Add or Remove programs.? any idears?? :confused: If i click properties/version on the Explorer it is IE5.5,

drcspy
14-06-2005, 06:47 PM
why not forget Ie since it's not really a safe browser to use and go download 'firefox' and install that instead it's MUCH less prone to attack........

Jen
14-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Hate to tell you this, but I've had this happen as well with a repair install of WinME and then trying to update IE again. Couldn't find a way around it at all. A complete reformat and reinstall eventually fixed it :dogeye:

Hopefully someone with more recent experience of this might have a fix now.

G-Boy
14-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Hate to tell you this, but I've had this happen as well with a repair install of WinME and then trying to update IE again. Couldn't find a way around it at all. A complete reformat and reinstall eventually fixed it :dogeye:

Hopefully someone with more recent experience of this might have a fix now.

Noooooo don't say that.. :groan: I wonder if i try to install it in safe mode??

tweak'e
14-06-2005, 07:31 PM
use IE eradicator to remove IE first, then install IE 6.

G-Boy
14-06-2005, 08:12 PM

Thanks Tweak'e, Ive dloaded it..i will give it a go :eek:

Peter H
14-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Stay with IE 5.5 - there is basicly no difference.
Bye

ad_267
14-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Stay with IE 5.5 - there is basicly no difference.

Nooooooooooooo, crappy browsers need to die. IE 5.5 has even worse support for CSS than IE6, If the internet is ever going to become more accessible to everyone we need more standards compliant web sites and it doesn't help that web designers have to design for people that insist on using old crap browsers.

GET FIREFOX!

G-Boy
14-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks soooo much, That seems to have worked a treat, IE6 installed!. hopefully that inturn hasn't affected anything else.. :D

Jen
14-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Glad to hear it worked for you G-Boy :)

Wish that IE eradicator was around when I had my problem :p

G-Boy
14-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Glad to hear it worked for you G-Boy :)

Wish that IE eradicator was around when I had my problem :p

Thanks Jen, and might i say a very fast process too. :p

tweak'e
14-06-2005, 10:43 PM
only other thing it sometimes upsets is media player. i've had when media player wouldn't work after and it required an over the top install.

btw....for the others....unfortunatly IE is required for some programs and in some cases IE6 is required (no idea why, i think its crappy programming or MS programming)