PDA

View Full Version : another start up problem

rach
14-06-2005, 03:03 PM
hi all,
I am having a start up/boot prob with my computer and after reading all the other posts on similar probs, I know that it is not the power supply as the cd/dvd writers start and open and close, thought the actually computer wont boot, just a blank screen and a repetive beeeeep,
I have checked for dust / cleaned
and it just wont go ,
So who can tell me whats wrong with it , and recomend a tech in auckland city for me

cheers rach

drcspy
14-06-2005, 03:05 PM
repetive beep means usually either the ram is not seated or had died or perhaps the video card similar.......

fatty
14-06-2005, 03:06 PM
You may want to wait for more expert advice, but I'd say that it could be the motherboard problem if its beepeing. Otherwise you just need to reinstall your OS.

drcspy
14-06-2005, 03:22 PM
doubtful it's a mother board prob. it's much more likely to be ram or video card....as for 'expert' advice i'd hardly call myself an expert even tho I do support my family by fixing pc's...... :-)

Peter H
14-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Had the same problem, and it was caused by Faulty RAM.
Bye

rach
14-06-2005, 06:06 PM
and what do you do with faulty ram?

Im not what you would call experanced with computers, been using them for years, but only found out what the insides look like a few weeks ago.

And could the prob be cause by using a switch box between my 2 computers
(it has the moniters and key board and mouse pluged into it)
As one is old and the other new?

Jen
14-06-2005, 06:53 PM
You need to open up the box and check to make sure the RAM is firmly seated. Also check for excessive dust and that the fans all spin especially over the CPU heatsink. With the beep's, does it have a pattern eg short beep, short beep pause or is it one steady beep?

Your KVM switch shouldn't cause a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to remove it and reconnect up a sinlge keyboard, mouse and monitor to the PC while you are troubleshooting.

pctek
14-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Note the beeps. Long, short? Or same tone and timing? How many beeps etc..
Then see what BIOS you have - Award or AMI - that will tell you exactly the problem.
But yes, probably the ram is not seated correctly or possibly the graphics card. They are the most common cause of BIOS beeps, without knowing exactly the beeps you are getting.

Agent_24
14-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I vote for RAM! - at least you probably aren't hearing 13 rapid beeps, like I did when my cpu die got cracked :badpc: (which was kinda a good excuse to get a decent CPU)

Renmoo
15-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Get an anti-static wrist strap before opening and meddling with the components in your computer case!

rach
24-06-2005, 11:13 AM
so, in the end , the ram was not seated :blush:
thanks for all you comments and help
rach