PDA

View Full Version : DVD RW resetting entire system

dok
14-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Both my DVD writers reboot the whole system when I get either to play a DVD. CD's are read and written to fine. They will read the title of a DVD and do a directory of the DVD but not play!

I have a ASUS 1604P and a Optorite RW DD0405. I have updated the firmware but no difference. Both show as working and no problems in Properties, My Computer and in System. I am running XP Pro and some time ago upgraded to SP2

I have killed the updated NVIDIA drivers and reloaded the video drivers back to the original FX 5200 ones. I am running a virus checker, Firewall as well 2 Ad ware type programmes and DirectX9.0c.

My machine is running an AMD Athlon XP 1837 MHz with a Gigabyte Nvidia-nForce2 Motherboard

I use Nero 6 and Power DVD but even the MS video player bombs out. It only recently started doing this but I can't recall adding anything that would have caused it

Rob99
14-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Checklist:
Try the drives in a different computer.
RAM
Drivers

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I have the same burner - The Asus. Even tho both appear to be OK in XP.

Is one jumpered to Master and one to Slave?? And are both on the Secondary ide connection?? And I take it both get detected by the BIOS as Sec Master and Slave? Or try changing the IDE cable going to the cd/dvd.

PowerDVD would be better for playing DVD's. WMP is pretty damn hopeless, if this is what you're using.

In device manager under the IDE ATA/Atapi controller option, do both show DMA under Secondary IDE Channel (under the advanced settings tab). Not PIO mode?

dok
15-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info - tried and all settings etc ok. Tried removing and reinstalling one at a time but each still resets system.Gurrrr! :badpc:

Agent_24
16-06-2005, 12:19 AM
I had a similar problem with my DVD drive, occasionally it would reset the system if I tried to fast-forward when playing a DVD.

it was blue-screening (worked that out after I turned auto-restart off), Sorry I can't exactly remember why, It may have been the video drivers (may have possibly been the DVD software), but I know I had trouble with the drive until I set it to UDMA mode - before that It wasn't reading dvd's properly, and for some strange reason the video would be displayed very pixellated (about 2cm wide squares on the screen).

I know these are probably not causing your problem, but windows does like to randomly change all sorts of things for no reason...