PDA

View Full Version : Greyed out message details in Outlook Inbox

John H
14-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi folks

I periodically receive email messages in Outlook that appear with all details greyed out in the Inbox index.

I have not been able to find out what leads to this behaviour with a minority of emails. Could someone please solve this mystery for me? Is it some sort of setting the sender is using?

Running WinXP Pro/OfficeXP Pro 2002 on this box. System Suite is the email virus checker. Also running Benign, but this behaviour predates that installation. I have turned off the option to send responses to emails that request a read receipt (are these greyed out emails ones that asked for a read receipt perhaps?).

Thanks
John

ninja
14-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Apparently messages Outlook marks as Junk

John H
14-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Apparently messages Outlook marks as Junk

Well, in this case, not quite ninja, but thank you because your response helped me solve the issue by getting me to explore the right place. :o

I checked the Junk email senders list, but none of the senders with greyed out email are on it. However, in the process of looking through this, I found out that Outlook has default rules for how it displays certain categories of message, one of which is "Commercial". It displays those messages with a greyed out font...

Now how Outlook determines which emails are commercial and which are not, I do not have the foggiest idea. I guess that rule is an example of yet more bizarre "helpful" thinking on the part of the Dark Side of the Force. I do wish that Microsoft would do far less to be helpful, because most of its "helpful" ideas are a pain in the proverbial.

Anyway, I turned off the rule related to "Commercial" email and voila, all of them are now displayed the same as other emails. Puzzlement over. :stare:

Thanks ninja.