PDA

View Full Version : Moving a file to Desktop Background.

Poppa John
13-06-2005, 10:03 PM
. Using XP Home. In "My Documents" I have a file/folder called Winterday.pps.
There are 15 snow scenes which I want to run in Desktop Background.It is already a slideshow in its own right. How do I move it please? PJ

johnboy
13-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Move them to your C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper folder and you should be away .

Jen
13-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I know that slide show, it has been doing the rounds .. :p

You will need to extract out the images of the powerpoint (.pps) if you wish to use them as wallpaper. Unless someone else knows of a way to extract jpg's out of powerpoint presentations, then I would just open up the slide show so that it displays the first image in full screen mode and then hit the "print screen" button on the keyboard as if you were taking a screenshot. Then ESC out of the slide show and paste the captured screenshot into MS Paint. Save as a jpg. Keep doing this one by one for all of the images in the slide show until you have copies of them all. You can then put all of the images into the directory given by johnboy if you wish to use them singularly, or put all of these images into "Your Pictures" directory and select under Screensaver > Slide show from My Pictures if you wish them to display as slide show wallpaper. Note this option will also display any other image saved under My Pictures which may not be what you want.

johnboy
13-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Do you have powerpoint on your computer??
If so with powerpoint open click file then open the winterday file.
with this open click save as in the file menu ,change the save as type format to jpeg file interchange format click save then it will ask if you want to save 1 or all of the images click yes and they will all be saved as jpegs in a folder.

sal
14-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Look what I've found (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Winterday.zip), it's the 40 images in the Winterday.pps file that's floating around the web. You mentioned 15 in your original post PJ, I assume you have 15 that you like especially. Well the whole 40 are in that file (Winterday.zip (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Winterday.zip), 2 MB zip file).

Simply unzip and add the folder to your pictures folder (My Pictures for example). Navigate to the folder from Display Properties > Desktop, set your desktop background appropriately.

Poppa John
14-06-2005, 08:53 PM
OK people, I am as thick as two short planks. I just cannot make this happen. PJ

Jen
14-06-2005, 09:02 PM
What are you wanting to happen? Do you want the pictures set as wallpaper to change every X minutes or have one at a time as a static image?

Did you download the zipped images from sal? Where did you put those images?

Poppa John
14-06-2005, 09:19 PM
What are you wanting to happen? Do you want the pictures set as wallpaper to change every X minutes or have one at a time as a static image?

Did you download the zipped images from sal? Where did you put those images?

Jen
I already have the images in My Documents & in My Pictures. In XP Home Display is where I want to put the Winterday slideshow, as wallpaper. PJ

johnboy
14-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Use this
http://www.wallpaperchanger.de/
hth

Poppa John
15-06-2005, 08:46 PM
I still cannot make it happen. If I open either My Pictures or My Documents it shows the file in question. Trying to do the file transfer, & pulling up My Pictures or My Documents gives a shortened version only. Th Winterday file does not show. Same goes for johnboy's programme. PJ

Jen
15-06-2005, 08:58 PM
You need to get the photo's out of the file (the powerpoint presentation) so that they are either jpg's or bmp's. Have you done this? Sal had put up the images in a zipped file on ImageF1 for you. A .pps file is not an image file and cannot be used as wallpaper or a screensaver image.

Poppa John
15-06-2005, 09:10 PM
You need to get the photo's out of the file (the powerpoint presentation) so that they are either jpg's or bmp's. Have you done this? Sal had put up the images in a zipped file on ImageF1 for you. A .pps file is not an image file and cannot be used as wallpaper or a screensaver image.

Sal's link. this did not work for me.
The .pps file, in My Documents, I renamed as .jpg then a .jpeg. Still could not do anything. One thing tho, is it enough to just change the suffix to change the type of file? PJ

Jen
15-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Nope, changing a file extension from pps to jpg will not work at all. :)

I just downloaded sal's zipped file and extracted all the images ok. After you have downloaded it, you will need to extract out the images. On XP if you right-click on the zip file and select Extract it will do it for you. The zipped file contains 40 jpg images. Each of these images are the same as what you see when you run the powerpoint show.

A powerpoint show is a graphical application that is used to present images or text. Within it you can have images embedded or other objects plus text. Your winter.pps had a series of embedded images only within it. This is why you need to get the images out of the pps so that they are individual jpg's etc again.

Poppa John
15-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Nope, changing a file extension from pps to jpg will not work at all. :)

I just downloaded sal's zipped file and extracted all the images ok. After you have downloaded it, you will need to extract out the images. On XP if you right-click on the zip file and select Extract it will do it for you. The zipped file contains 40 jpg images. Each of these images are the same as what you see when you run the powerpoint show.

A powerpoint show is a graphical application that is used to present images or text. Within it you can have images embedded or other objects plus text. Your winter.pps had a series of embedded images only within it. This is why you need to get the images out of the pps so that they are individual jpg's etc again.

Jen.....Ok I went back to Sal's link Clicked & waited. Much longer than I would normally. Upo getting the "Open--Save" window & selecting Open I than had to wait a long time for anything to happen. When I got the next screen I clicked on "extract all" & it did in a flash. I think the slow Xtra has got to me again. Prior to 7pm it was OK, now it is as slow as a wet week again.
Anyway, the 40 pictures are onscreen. How do I put them in as Desktop Wallpaper ( not in screensaver). PJ

Jen
15-06-2005, 09:33 PM
OK, well for Wallpaper you just need to pop the images into a folder some where eg in My Pictures in a folder called Winter. Then right click on the desktop and select properties > Appearance. Under wallpapers select browse and then go to your Winter folder and highlight the image you wish to use and click OK. I noticed that most of the images are of a smaller resolution (not 1024x768), so they might not fill your complete desktop area.

Poppa John
15-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Jen..........I have got it now, sorry to be so slow. Some things get into my head easily. This one did not. Thanks again
Also to all others for the suggestions. PJ :thumbs:

Jen
15-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Glad to see you got it sorted PJ, and good on you for persisting with it. :)

twiterbee
02-07-2005, 07:31 PM
In my search I discovered the "Winterday.pps" forum here. I am searching for the song that is inserted into that particular .pps. I do not know how to extract the media nor how to determine the artist/song.

Would anyone happen to know please. It sounds like Zamfir ...but then ..he has many songs. HELP please.

Re: Slideshow- I doubt that it helps, but I convert the extension from .pps to .ppt, cut and paste the pictures to a folder. Open the photo program, find the files and insert them into the slideslow. I do not have XP :blush: .

Thank you

Poppa John
02-07-2005, 08:41 PM
In my search I discovered the "Winterday.pps" forum here. I am searching for the song that is inserted into that particular .pps. I do not know how to extract the media nor how to determine the artist/song.

Would anyone happen to know please. It sounds like Zamfir ...but then ..he has many songs. HELP please.

Re: Slideshow- I doubt that it helps, but I convert the extension from .pps to .ppt, cut and paste the pictures to a folder. Open the photo program, find the files and insert them into the slideslow. I do not have XP :blush: .

Thank you

I am sorry but i am not able to help you. Winterdays came to me from a friend who got it from a friend........ I know it is only a short piece of music, repeated continuously. PF1's Music Expert ,Terry Porrit, would be your best bet for assistance. I looked it up on Google & got no help from there. PJ

twiterbee
03-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Thank you very much for your reply..and SO quick!

I will see if I can locate Terry Porrit... so far I have a bad time navigating my way around forums..

blonde lol