PDA

View Full Version : Freezing a laptop battery?

Mercury
13-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I was searching Google for a battery for a Compaq Armada E500 and came across a PressF1 post suggesting dumping the battery in the freezer overnight to make it recondition itself.

:confused:

Anyone tried this? Does it work?

Original Freezing Post (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=17204&highlight=laptop+battery+compaq)

piva
13-06-2005, 09:25 PM
This trick can sometimes work with nicad batteries but I suspect most NiMH and I havent heard of anyone freezing them.
Piva

andrew93
14-06-2005, 10:16 AM
I have done this a couple of times with cellphone batteries that wouldn't hold their charge for very long and whilst it felt like the 'rejunevated' battery was holding it's charge longer, I think it actually made the battery deteriorate faster. After a month or two, typically the battery was worse than before. I have no scientific proof to back this up but that was my experience - although I didn't put the batteries in plastic bags per the original post. I would treat it as an option of last resort but given the price for a replacement bettery may be worth more than the laptop, this may be your only option.
Just my thoughts, Andrew

Graham L
14-06-2005, 01:04 PM
As a general rule when a battery is dead, it is dead, defunct, and not very useful.

When a battery is on the way out, it is on the way out.

Putting a battery in the freezer will give you a cold battery. A cold battery won't work as well as one at normal temperature.

Life is like that. :(

kjaada
14-06-2005, 04:43 PM
This worked with my mobile but I understand it is to do with getting a full discharge before charging a battery with "memory" as the memory points accumulate.Do not think it will work on a ltop battery but there is no harm trying.

FrankS
14-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Yuo don't say what type of battery but have a look at

http://faq.alltekpower.com/faq/index.asp?c=6

for info re NiMH batteries, the question on long term storage advises do not store below 30F.

Mercury
14-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

Looks like what I really need to do it run the laptop on battery only whilst timing it to see how long it lasts. Then say "Oh drat" and look for a replacement battery or have the existing one re-built.

It didn't seem to last long on battery but if I was absorbed in something then it might have been longer than I thought.

A week ago it was running on mains with the battery in place. Laptop died whilst I was ignoring it having lunch and it refused to restart till that evening when I took the battery out.

Basically I have a suspicion that it is dying but have been so busy for the last two weeks or so that a proper check is somewhere on the list with a group of other things.

I'm using it on mains - with battery in place - away from home at the moment.