PDA

View Full Version : File Structure error

NZHawk
13-06-2005, 10:46 AM
I recently fdisk, partitioned, formatted & installed WindowsXP home. Everything worked fine. Installed the customers requested software. Everything fine.
One week later, computer will not operate. Customer calls me & states there is a ticking sound. I run a Seagate hard drive diagnostics, ATA Full test passed but, the File Structure Test reported "Failed with critical errors" on both partitions.
What causes a File Structure critical error?
What is my next step, so that this doesn't happen again?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Overdrive_5000
13-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Give scan disk/chkdsk a run it should fix any errors it finds

NZHawk
13-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Sorry for my fogness this morning,
do I run scan disk/chkdsk from the Run command or from DOS.

Thank you

Graham L
13-06-2005, 03:00 PM
In XP, isn't the "Run" option the nearest you get to DOS? ;)

Terry Porritt
13-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Sorry for my fogness this morning,
do I run scan disk/chkdsk from the Run command or from DOS.

Thank you
XP Checkdisk is run from run or the command line cmd, not dos.

If the computer will not operate, then presumably you wont be able to get into Windows and the run command to run check disk.

If that is so, then you will need to boot from the XP CD, and choose the repair option which will take you to the Recovery Console command line.

If you can get into safe mode though run chkdsk from there with the command: chkdsk /F

Check disk can be run from the Recovery Console, but there are not the same options as when it is run from Windows... pretty useless really, but you could try the checkdisk repair, chkdsk /R, that checks for bad sectors and could take for ever and a day. The /F fix command is not available.

Then from Recovery Console issue the command Fixmbr to repair the master boot record.

I'm sure PF1 troubleshooting gurus will give more and better info on how to deal with this.