PDA

View Full Version : boot from iso???

imarubberducky
12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I have an ISO for an operating system - unfortuntly its 788 megs, so i cant burn it to a cd, and i dont have a DVD burner. Is there any other way to boot from this file so i can install it?

Right now i only have XP installed, but i can install linux (Ubuntu), and i do hav a wireless network - if that helps at all.

Any ideas?

Jen
12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Linux OS's should fit on a CD if you have downloaded the CD version. This is a Linux or BSD operating system that you have downloaded? Which one is it?

beama
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
You can boot from iso using VMware.
Vmware alows you to run Virtual Machine within your current operating system.
A trail version of vmware can be downloaded but is time restricted. For more info on Vmware...google it.

Ive used it to run debain and build kernels on, its pretty good.

imarubberducky
12-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for replying. What VMware product should i use?

beama
12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
vmware (workstation) (http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html) and do some reading I suspect it may not be what you think it is.
Basicly you setup A VIRTUAL space in your RAM to run the (in this case) linux OS.

Incendently vmware needs an os to run in this case xp

imarubberducky
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Cheers, I should be recieving my new HDD this week, so ill try this out an hope that it works.

Thanks.

Graham L
13-06-2005, 02:58 PM
There are "90 minute" CDs available. You have to explicitly tell the software that it's an oversize CD. The ones I saw in Warehouse Stationery had a list of drives they were "known to work with" on the box.

Metla
13-06-2005, 03:00 PM
It will most probally fit perfectly fine on a standard 700mb CD, Don't ask me why or how but I have see multiple oversized ISO's fit perfectly...

vinref
13-06-2005, 03:04 PM
You may be able to boot using using boot floppies and point the installer at the ISO image if it resides on the same disk (i.e., it lives in the XP partition). What is the distro exactly?

b1naryb0y
13-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Try burning the .iso onto a 700Mb CDRW. Many .isos are larger than 700Mb but only contain 700Mb or less of data.

Some .isos contain information other than the normal data, this information does not appear on the cd when browsing it's contents, for instance subchannel (http://www.deluxemedia.com/support/cdtech/cdaudio/cd_frames.xml#Subcode_Channels) data.

Chilling_Silence
14-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Nice try

I notice the OS hasnt been mentioned... The only OS I know of that is that size is some of the leaked versions of Longhorn.

Now, if you'd done your homework, you'll see that its to be burnt to a DVD.

Unless you can give me the honest name of the OS, I think this thread needs closing!

Chill.

Metla
14-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Heh...after reading this thread the other day I went looking for an XP iso of that size, figured once you slipstream in all that patches it would be about right.

I was also presented with a professional looking (but obviously pirate) copy of XP Pro the other day that had quicktime,Acdsee and numerous other apps built into the install.....

imarubberducky
21-06-2005, 08:41 PM
hi, ive just recieved my new hdd and i tried out your ideas.

Firstly the OS is a combo of XP Pro, Home and MCE. I am using it to get MCE.

VMWare is not what im looking for in this case

And i have tried to burn the iso onto a 700mb disc, even with overburn, however this failed.

And ive looked around for 800mb discs, but noone seems to sell.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Jen
21-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, which OS have you got as an ISO. Please answer the question this time.

imarubberducky
21-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Sorry, maybe it wasn't clear.
This is a combination of Windows Home, Pro and Media Center Edition into one iso.

Jen
21-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Sorry, maybe it wasn't clear.
This is a combination of Windows Home, Pro and Media Center Edition into one iso.And of course Microsoft's EULA allows you to combine your copies of each OS into single ISO? How are you planning on activating it?

Don't worry about answering that, the answer is that it isn't legal. Ending thread now.