PDA

View Full Version : Windows startup error

claytonh
12-06-2005, 04:58 PM
I have just reformated old computer and loaded window98 2nd edition. All went OK till it went to boot up first time. The error message "while initializingdevice INT13"
"windows protection error need to restart"
When I restart it goes to the option of safe mode which I have tried, along with several of the other options, all to no avail. We just keep going round in circles.
Any clues would be a big help

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
The error message "while initializingdevice INT13"
"windows protection error need to restart"Can you provide a bit more information on the exact error message? There are a couple of pages at Microsoft that you could look at to see whether they are of any help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263466&sd=RMVP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q154273/

claytonh
13-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The only error message was the one I included in quotation marks

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Try updating the BIOS, if there's a later version.

bartsdadhomer
13-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Try updating the BIOS, if there's a later version.

Don't be ridiculous, if you can't give "informed" advice don't give any at all.
A potentialy 'Fatal' BIOS upgrade is a last resort for any problem.

Try this page first
It's probably a dodgy driver although many other things can cause this as well
It will be a process of elimination
But before trying the suggestions on the page boot to safe mode (I'm not clear if you can get to safe mode or does it burn while loading in Safe Mode?) and see what is loading under msconfig first and disable one by one and see if any of the startup items are causing the problem

Do not upgrade your BIOS without a good reason and only as a last resort

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2005, 08:42 PM
And u know better? I dont think so!

bartsdadhomer
13-06-2005, 08:59 PM
And u know better? I dont think so!

20yrs in PC repair says I do know better
And I prove it by not giving the advice "Try updating the BIOS" to a novice before all other avenues have been exhausted, and I would love to hear the reasoning behind the "Update BIOS advice" I'm sure there is a logical reason for it... isn't there?
And while we're on the subject, you seem to respond in some way to almost every thread posted on the forum, whether you know what you're talking about or not.
I'm sure some of the advice you've given other members of the forum has been valid but I have noticed rather a lot of misguided and downright stupid advice as well.
If you don't know the answer or the correct troubleshooting techniques to solve a problem then don't reply.
Wrong advice is worse than no advice.

Murray P
13-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Don't be ridiculous, if you can't give "informed" advice don't give any at all.
A potentialy 'Fatal' BIOS upgrade is a last resort for any problem.

Try this page first
It's probably a dodgy driver although many other things can cause this as well
It will be a process of elimination
But before trying the suggestions on the page boot to safe mode (I'm not clear if you can get to safe mode or does it burn while loading in Safe Mode?) and see what is loading under msconfig first and disable one by one and see if any of the startup items are causing the problem

Do not upgrade your BIOS without a good reason and only as a last resort

Sound advice.

Terry Porritt
13-06-2005, 09:37 PM
I'd be inclined to go back a step even further than bartsdadhomer suggests, and that is to go through the boot process with the step by step confirmation.
There may then be a clue as to where things are going wrong.
This is done by pressing F8 quickly when it says 'starting windows 98', and then selecting the step by step mode from the menu.
Or,Shift +F8 gets you straight to the step by step mode.

But even before that, check that you can boot into dos from a boot floppy.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Funny that 20 years huh. So have I.