PDA

View Full Version : Unaccessable websites

taly
11-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi there! I am trying to access website www.about.com that I could without problems. Suddenly on my PC it became impossible. Other sites are ok. The same site I could access at internet cafe. Can it be that some block is in my PC? Removing firewall did not help.

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
check you host file and any add blocking programs.

Edward
11-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Or you could try using a proxy server (http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html) to rule out IP blocking

bartsdadhomer
11-06-2005, 10:21 PM
If you're using spybot go to advanced mode > Tools and double click the hosts file entry to view the file

taly
12-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks, but what is host file?

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
See this page (http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html) to learn what a Hosts file is and this page (http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html) for instructions on where to find it.

In your case you would be looking for web addresses in your Hosts file that should not be in the file as you will be blocked from visiting them if they are in there.

You can use Spybot to open and examine your Hosts file, which would probably be the easiest way to do it.

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
You can use Spybot to open and examine your Hosts file, which would probably be the easiest way to do it.Duh! Before I get jumped on for that I have just noticed that bartsdadhomer had already said it further up. :rolleyes:

I need to start drinking coffee....

Usagichanafn
22-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi there! I am trying to access website www.about.com that I could without problems. Suddenly on my PC it became impossible. Other sites are ok. The same site I could access at internet cafe. Can it be that some block is in my PC? Removing firewall did not help.
I am having the same issue! i was gonna make my own thread but since you pretty much just summed up what was wrong also with my computer then i will just post here.

Okay here is my issue this all started at the start of june when all of sudden the website i work at called asiafriendsnetwork.com stopped working on my computer i also cant access from my dad's computer either (both computers are in the same room on the same internet and everything) well the first time it went down it was because of my internet provider. They were doing updates to the ip numbers i guess but anyhow they got it up within a week. well within two days it was fricken down again! so i reported it to them again and it was up again within a few days and it has stayed working till now. and its ONLY this website which i dont get. so i asked someone from my internet provider and they said everything is working on there end and that i should be able to access the site so it must be from my end or the person who owns the sites end. well i know its not from his end because EVERYONE else can access the site heck the house 2 down from me can -_-" so i think it has to be my end but it was just fricken working not even 4 days ago what could i have done to make it so i cant access ONE website and of course it the one i have to have access to *hits head on table* dont mind me i'm just really mad and very stressed because of this ><"

smurf
22-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Just went to Spybot to check host file and one there is "localhost" with a destination address of 127.0.01 Can anyone tell what this is please?

stu161204
22-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Hello Usagichanafn

Welcome to PressF1

Are you in NZ?

Who's your ISP?

Have you check your computers for any virus/spy were??

Have you done what they said above to check?

Hope to her from you soon :)

stu161204
22-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Just went to Spybot to check host file and one there is "localhost" with a destination address of 127.0.01 Can anyone tell what this is please?

Thatís your local computer :)

smurf
22-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks Stu

Usagichanafn
22-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Hello Usagichanafn

Welcome to PressF1

Are you in NZ?

Who's your ISP?

Have you check your computers for any virus/spy were??

Have you done what they said above to check?

Hope to her from you soon :)

Thanks for the welcome I'm actally from america. I'm not sure what my ISP is can you tell me what i need to find that out. As for the virus/spy wear i'm checking it now i have stopsign which is very good about catching these things and it just told me found nothing no spyware or virus so ya at least that is good...

stu161204
22-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome

:)

I'm actally from america.

Cool, another one from the US

I'm not sure what my ISP is can you tell me what i need to find that out.

If you are unsure who your ISP is, then you better check with the bill payer/ your dad

As for the virus/spy wear i'm checking it now i have stopsign which is very good about catching these things and it just told me found nothing no spyware or virus so ya at least that is good...

I have never head of stopsign before, but I would also recommend you try Ad-aware SE (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) & SpyBot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/) & see if that brings any thing up.

If that still does not help, talk to your dad, as he might be blocking you access to that site.

If he is not post back here & we can try a few other things.

Usagichanafn
22-06-2006, 09:42 PM
no i know my dad has not blocked me because this is my own computer i bought and i'm a only one with a password to it plus he has seen the site before and he has never seen anything wrong with it since i work there as a mod. plus i'm 17 i dont think he would start blocking sites now lol but i check again with the virus/spyware again and nothing came up again so ya i dont think its that ( i hate not knowing what is wrong with this because i can get every other website but asiafriendsnetwork.com and thats not good since i work there ><" )

mikebartnz
22-06-2006, 11:00 PM
In your case you would be looking for web addresses in your Hosts file that should not be in the file as you will be blocked from visiting them if they are in there.
Not quite true as I also put in frequently used sites against there IP number eg.
210.48.100.45 pressf1.pcworld.co.nz
they will be blocked if they point to 127.0.0.1

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Well i tried again to access the site and i'm still unable to. this is getting really bad i have to be able to access this site soon because i'm already a week behide in my work ( i'm a mod there but i also work in downloads and i'm looking in my emails i'm getting from the site and i'm already up to 23 people who have asked me for downloads on the site and there is no way i can get them the downloads or even let anyone on the site know what is going on unless i can get on the site T_T ) does anyone have any idea that i can try?

stu161204
23-06-2006, 04:42 PM
E-mail your ISP or get your dad to e-mail your ISP & say to them that you cant access that site.

Also you could try accessing the site via a proxy: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

& https://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/ & http://webmirror.phobos.tk/

FoxyMX
23-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Are you able to ping that site at all with its DNS number? Have you tried the suggestion in #3 above to use a proxy server? Have you tried changing your DNS numbers?

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I feel so stupid asking this but what is a DNS *hides* sorry! *bows* and i tried those sites i was given and the first one says i have to buy it which i cant do and the 2nd link didnt work it just took me to a blank page and the 3rd link just took me to a other website...not the one i was trying to access

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 05:11 PM
E-mail your ISP or get your dad to e-mail your ISP & say to them that you cant access that site.

Also you could try accessing the site via a proxy: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

I already talk to my isp my self and they said they think the issue has to be on my end or the owner of the websites end because everything checks out on their side. i think i has to me my side b/c everyone else can access the site so i know its not down...gezz i dont know what to do ><"

FoxyMX
23-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I feel so stupid asking this but what is a DNS *hides* sorry! *bows*
No need to feel stupid. DNS is Domain Name Servers (or System). An explanation is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System).

Have a look at this thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=69994&page=1&pp=10) for instructions on how to change them. Note that the reply was for a person here in New Zealand, so you will have to find DNS numbers for another ISP in your own country.

Do you know how to ping a website?

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 05:18 PM
no sry i dont know how to ping websites heck i dont even know what ping a website means ><" gezz you would think being how long i have been on the computer and making codes and stuff for websites i would know this crap my now ><"

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I had StopSign for a very short time...until I found it would block things that it didn't like.

IMO, dump it and clean up your host files.

Here's some reviews ala SiteAdviser:

Tested their "online virus scan" from my *nix box, and it immediately claimed over 300 infections in my "C:\WinNT" folder. Ha!

VERY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES Stop sign advertises their antivirus and antispyware services on television. Yet their own site is a trap filled with malware... ...Unbelievable

Graham L
23-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I doubt if changing DNS server will help.

I'd shut the computer down and go for a cup of some beverage. ;) The computer is probably never turned off, right?

Then, suitably relaxed, come back, start it, without an Internet connection,
and use the disk cleanup tools in the System Maintenance area to get rid of cached network entries , cookies, and all the other rubbish.

Then connect to the Internet and try again.

stu161204
23-06-2006, 05:26 PM
If what SurferJoe46(Who is also in the USA) said is right, I would also disable StopSign & see if that helps :)

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I had StopSign for a very short time...until I found it would block things that it didn't like.

IMO, dump it and clean up your host files.

Here's some reviews ala SiteAdviser:

Tested their "online virus scan" from my *nix box, and it immediately claimed over 300 infections in my "C:\WinNT" folder. Ha!

VERY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES Stop sign advertises their antivirus and antispyware services on television. Yet their own site is a trap filled with malware... ...Unbelievable
0_0 are u kidding me that is so messed up ><" but I shut off stopsign but it still will not let me get to afn (asiafriendsnetwork.com) but i shut down the computer everynight so ya...but as cleaning up my host files how do go about doing that?

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 05:32 PM
If you kill StopSign, you might still have to repair your host files area.

I recommend using Spybot S&D in ADVANCED MODE and makle the repairs there. It is able to do it only in the ADVANCED MODE. (Most people don't know all that SpyBot can do!):x

I dumped StopSign about the same time I fdisk'd the whole system and started with a fresh XP install.

Hopefully you'll not have to do that too.

mejobloggs
23-06-2006, 05:40 PM
I can never access any awardspace websites.

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I clicked the link you submitted, and had no trouble getting to view it..so I went a little further with The WayBackMachine.org and also SiteAdviser.

SiteAdviser had no negative reports on the site, but said it was not a legitimate site..for some strange reason. See this: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/domain/writeComments

WayBackMachine had some strange results....said it doesn't exist.

Now I am wondering.....it set a few cookies and tried to spam me instantly..... blocked of course by my antis.

Mixed thoughts here.

I noticed that when I went to the site, I had cookies set because there were a lot of "previously clicked" reports on the page in the form of color changes on the links. Know what I mean? That is strange as I have never been there before nor have I had the time to click any links either. This is a dead give-away that there's something slightly bad going on.

One color-changed link was the "Downloads" one...now THAT BOTHERS ME! What did I get that fast? You might be better off staying away from this site until you get some good anti-stuff.

I am going to run HJT and CrapCleaner right now......

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Results: It's been spoofed...there may not be anything wrong with your system..wait before you jump and do something dumb...

Just wait it out a while and see what happens..they gotta know they've been spoofed!

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 06:03 PM
CrapCleaner removed over 300 cookies...and I cleaned this system this norning too!

HJT was clean.....no problem. The real test is when I reboot later...Gack!

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 06:07 PM
I clicked the link you submitted, and had no trouble getting to view it..so I went a little further with The WayBackMachine.org and also SiteAdviser.

SiteAdviser had no negative reports on the site, but said it was not a legitimate site..for some strange reason. See this: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/domain/writeComments

Now I am wondering.....it set a few cookies and tried to spam me instantly..... blocked of course by my antis.

Mixed thoughts here.

I noticed that when I went to the site, I had cookies set because there were a lot of "previously clicked" reports on the page in the form of color changes on the links. Know what I mean? That is strange as I have never been there before nor have I had the time to click any links either. This is a dead give-away that there's something slightly bad going on.

One color-changed link was the "Downloads" one...now THAT BOTHERS ME! What did I get that fast? You might be better off staying away from this site until you get some good anti-stuff.

I am going to run HJT and CrapCleaner right now......
what do you mean by color changeing links to the downloads one? i never seen it do that before...but dont most websites set a cookie right away on your computer when you visit any site?

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 06:10 PM
CrapCleaner removed over 300 cookies...and I cleaned this system this norning too!

HJT was clean.....no problem. The real test is when I reboot later...Gack!
300 0_0 all from afn?

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 06:20 PM
If you observe a site that has some multiple links to click, and you browse back to the same site in the same session by using your RETURN key or the return arrow on the toolbar, you'll notice that the link you clicked before is now a slightly different color.

This is to inform you that you've been there and that indeed, a cookie has been set by that clicking on your part.

Now, however when I have never been on or even seen this site and there's indication that I have clicked on some of the links, I am a little suspicious.

The one that really worried me was the DOWNLOADS link, as it too, was shown as having been used by me in that same session.

If you "break the thread" and return to the site with a reload or a return after x'ing out or closing the window, you may not see that color change at all. (F1 does this)

I have my browser set to delete cookies after the session closes, and I do not allow third-party cookies to set.

Some cookie defaults are set at a number of days before they are deleted which can be set to whatever one wants. Some people delete all cookies or don't allow any to be set at all...but that kills some of the functions of the site too.

Ya gotta takes your picks.

CrapCleaner can/will delete all cookies or histories or activities as you see fit in the settings.

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 06:21 PM
300 0_0 all from afn?...yup! :D

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 06:23 PM
wow who could have gezz but you dont think thats is what is making it from being able to access it do you?

FoxyMX
23-06-2006, 06:27 PM

Mixed thoughts here.

I have been a little suspicious of this thread since the start. I have not been to the site in question as I don't trust all links posted here by strangers and now I am even more concerned.

Call me cynical if you like but it smells a bit fishy to me. :(

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I have been a little suspicious of this thread since the start. I have not been to the site in question as I don't trust all links posted here by strangers and now I am even more concerned.

I took the url and pasted it into SiteAdviser first thing....and it came back with the "Not a valid site" report. Then I went to WayBack and it said pretty much the same thing.....

I c/p'd the url they gave into FF and clicked it and got a site with pre-clicked links..and I backed 'way off at that point and ran HJT and CCleaner. I just got back from a hot boot and all seems well.

This might be a phish scheme too.

300 cookies isn't so bad...reminds me of running AOL with McAfee or Snorton's crappola stuff too. I wuz younger and foolisher. I am older and just as foolish now.

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 06:37 PM

fishy? how?

SurferJoe46
23-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Too many strange-o things and a n00b asking why and what and where and non-valid url's and such...just a lot of aquatic protein, that's all.

If this pans out to be a valid q, then I'll help..but I am going to wait for a little more info and confirmation as to who, what, when, where & why.

I'll be back in 16 hours to this problem, Usagichanafn, if it still exists.

Jen
23-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Righto. I'm a little confused with what all the fuss is about. I have looked at asiafriendsnetwork.com and it doesn't look dodgy to me. Even Site Advisor (http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/asiafriendsnetwork.com) thinks it is OK.

You were asked to ping the website and see what happens. To do this go Start > Run. Type in cmd. Now enter in:
ping asiafriendsnetwork.com [press enter]

Also try:
ping 202.71.109.36 [press enter]

The domain name is registered to the guy whose photo and details are on the website.

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Too many strange-o things and a n00b asking why and what and where and non-valid url's and such...just a lot of aquatic protein, that's all.

If this pans out to be a valid q, then I'll help..but I am going to wait for a little more info and confirmation as to who, what, when, where & why.

I'll be back in 16 hours to this problem, Usagichanafn, if it still exists.
alright maybe i'll try and let my computer ride it out and hopefully it will allow me access to the site again...

FoxyMX
23-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Righto. I'm a little confused with what all the fuss is about. I have looked at asiafriendsnetwork.com and it doesn't look dodgy to me.
Thanks Jen. Do you think you could check it out on your Windows machine now, please? :p

godfather
23-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Site looks fine to me in IE6.

Not even a whiff of WD-40 either ....

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 08:29 PM
alright i will try that but what will ping do to help me access the site anyhow?

zqwerty
23-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Pinging asiafriendsnetwork.com [202.71.109.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=1794ms TTL=48
Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=437ms TTL=48
Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=454ms TTL=48
Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=439ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 202.71.109.36:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 437ms, Maximum = 1794ms, Average = 781ms

Usagichanafn
23-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Pinging asiafriendsnetwork.com [202.71.109.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=1794ms TTL=48
Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=437ms TTL=48
Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=454ms TTL=48
Reply from 202.71.109.36: bytes=32 time=439ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 202.71.109.36:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 437ms, Maximum = 1794ms, Average = 781ms
uh?

zqwerty
23-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Well, how was your ping? That was my results.

Jen
23-06-2006, 09:39 PM
uh?What we are trying to see is whether you can successfully ping your website, both by domain name and by its IP address. A ping just sends a few packets to that website and sees if they reply.

FoxyMX
23-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Site looks fine to me in IE6.

Not even a whiff of WD-40 either ....
Hmmm.... well your sense of smell is shot, unlike mine, so the fumes must be making my perception and judgement a bit wonky.

SurferJoe46
24-06-2006, 03:00 AM
This is what I get this morning....from SiteAdviser. The same url last night got a non-existant status report:

User Reviews (7)

page 1 of 1

Rating: Excessive Popups

About.com has quality content, but the advertising is horribly excessive. It's a bit cumbersome to use though, and to get to all the good content, you usually have to click thru to multiple pages. All in all, I probably still use it once every couple of weeks for *something*

Posted at 6/20/2006 15:32 by Mommy, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: 1 / 9 ]

Rating: Phishing or other scams

A sponsored link from About's IPod site is Down-Load-It-Free.com. Go to that site, and it's directly linked to another site, cashengines.com, rated RED by SiteAdvisor.

Posted at 6/13/2006 18:55 by parabians, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: 1 / 9 ]

Rating: This site is good

I didnt see any advertising such as ads and I didnt have any popups either. I was using Firefox so that might be it. Great site and it has alot of good info.

Posted at 4/9/2006 1:11 by ishmoo21, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: 1 / 9 ]

Spam

Posted at 3/1/2006 23:00 by web2, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: 1 / 9 ]

This site has some very useful information. However, I avoid using it because the avertising is annoying. I didn't want to give it the "Very aggressive popups or banners" rating, because that seemed too severe.

Posted at 2/22/2006 18:43 by Anonymous Preview User, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: -1 / 9 ]

Rating: This site is good

Love the site and all its features this is an all around purpose website.

Posted at 2/20/2006 7:49 by Anonymous Preview User, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: -1 / 9 ]

Did you find this post useful?
* Yes
* No

Too much advertising,,,,,,,

Posted at 2/14/2006 12:19 by Anonymous Preview User, Reviewer, View profile [ Reputation score: -1 / 9 ]

....which is TOTALLY different from what I got last night......I still suggest that it was spoofed at that time; now even WayBack gets results where there were none last night:

Note some duplicates are not shown. See all.
* denotes when site was updated.
Search Results for Jan 01, 1996 - Jun 23, 2006
1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
0 pages 0 pages 2 pages 5 pages 71 pages 306 pages 150 pages 26 pages 11 pages 4 pages 0 pages

....etc, etc....It looks like the site came online in 1998, and as of 2006, has had no updates yet...(that's strange as SOMEBODY must've made at least a small change or update by the end of JUNE this year!)

This too is totally different from the results from the same sniffer I used last night....there were NO UPDATES on that url when I ran it then....but many many updates on it this morning.

This smells like a spoofed site that has been repaired....the only thing is that I cannot tell when it was fixed. It does not smell like WD-40! :groan:

Now I wonder if the original poster can indeed see the site they want?

Jen
24-06-2006, 07:47 AM
This is what I get this morning....from SiteAdviser. The same url last night got a non-existant status report:

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]
User Reviews (7)

page 1 of 1

About.com has quality content, but the advertising is horribly excessive.
<snip>Ah, well you are confused about what website is in question here and are looking at the wrong website. The original poster Taly was asking about about.com, Usagichanafn who replied to this thread with a similar problem was only asking about asiafriendsnetwork.

Have another look at the thread and the date stamps from the top. :)

Usagichanafn
24-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Well, how was your ping? That was my results.
I dont think it worked because it just told me it was timed out when i put it in...

Safari
24-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I dont think it worked because it just told me it was timed out when i put it in...

Check with your ISP or someone else connected to the same ISP to see if they can bring up that site.
If it doesn't work for them as well it will be associated with their network or one of their upstream providers.

Usagichanafn
24-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I just got done talking to my internet provider and this is what they told me....

4:51:22 PMBrianM So the domain is "asiafriendsnetwork.com"?

4:51:32 PMYou ya

4:52:35 PMYou but this all started when i got broadband this never did this when i had dail up is that normal that at times i'm not able to access sites?

4:53:21 PMBrian M Yes, not all domains are accessible from all networks, for various reasons.

4:54:57 PMYou darn...but i dont get how all sudden i cant access. i mean it just start this back and forth of not being able to access afn on june 7th

4:55:10 PMYou and sometimes it will work for 2 weeks then its down again

4:55:24 PMYou but i know the sites not down because my other friends can access it

4:55:28 PMBrian MI am doing some investigation on this, one moment please.

4:55:42 PMYoualright thank you

5:00:18 PMBrian M It looks like the domain you gave me resolves to an IP address of "202.71.109.36", but when I tried looking-up that IP, it said that it was not currently registered in the ARIN database.

5:00:45 PMBrian M It looks like that domain may not be pointing to the correct address, or the site has moved to a new IP.

5:01:54 PM You*rubs head* well thats no good...how would be able to find out if it has move to a new IP?

5:03:10 PMBrian MWell, if your friends are able to access it, have them try pinging the site's URL, and find out what IP address it is resolving to.

5:04:05 PMYou ya i was ask to try and ping the site from my computer as well and when i tried it says that it timed out

Usagichanafn
24-06-2006, 11:22 PM
so ya i just tried ping again and its not working...gezz this is starting to make me mad...just for the fact that its bull crap it works one day and then all sudden stops and works again its driving me nuts cant it just say working ><"

stu161204
24-06-2006, 11:50 PM
so ya i just tried ping again and its not working...gezz this is starting to make me mad...just for the fact that its bull crap it works one day and then all sudden stops and works again its driving me nuts cant it just say working ><"

Have you tried my suggestion of using a proxy server/service to access the site?

Usagichanafn
25-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Have you tried my suggestion of using a proxy server/service to access the site?
i just did the first link and it got me to the site but now i cant login it wont do that ><" it says it cant access that so really even through now i can access the site it dont matter because i have to be able to login in to tell everyone what is going on so they know i'm not just being lazy and not getting on there but at least i got one part of it working but still why is it can access afn through that proxy thing but not normaly through the url?

zqwerty
25-06-2006, 01:40 AM
Try this proxy:

http://www.pimpmyip.com/

Usagichanafn
25-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Try this proxy:

http://www.pimpmyip.com/
that one did the same thing it gets me there but i cant log in at all ><" any ideas why?

zqwerty
25-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Try using a different browser and see if you still have the same problem:

http://www.opera.com/

Setting all IE security settings to default is another thing to try.

Usagichanafn
25-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Try using a different browser and see if you still have the same problem:

http://www.opera.com/

Setting all IE security settings to default is another thing to try.
i set everything to default because i cant download a different browser (very long story) so do you want me to try the proxy again and see if i can login in?

zqwerty
25-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes, also try IE direct to the site asiafriendsnetwork.

If you did try another browser this would tell us if it did work that IE is the problem, if it also doesn't get there then your whole computer is locked out by Hosts file entries or the Firewall settings or your network or your ISP, and since you can't ping the site direct I would say that it is an outside ban.

Where are you situated by the way are you in China?

Does anyone else have access to your computer workings?

Are you at Administrator status in your normal use of this computer or is someone else at that level?

Usagichanafn
25-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes, also try IE direct to the site asiafriendsnetwork.

If you did try another browser this would tell us if it did work that IE is the problem, if it also doesn't get there then your whole computer is locked out by Hosts file entries or the Firewall settings or your network or your ISP, and since you can't ping the site direct I would say that it is an outside ban.

Where are you situated by the way are you in China?

Does anyone else have access to your computer workings?

Are you at Administrator status in your normal use of this computer or is someone else at that level?
see i think i may be doing the ping wrong thats why i think i cant ping it to tell you truth but i have done a the last few times and i think i have done it right but ya who knows ><"
But no i'm not from china or in china i'm in the usa.
I'm the only one who access to UNLESS i sign my little sister in ( she is 16 ) but she really only goes on myspace so i dont think that would mess anything up but hey what do i know ^_^"
But ya i have Administrator status when i'm on no one else

zqwerty
25-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Try reading this, be careful what you do, it is easy to mess things up, I know I have done that, don't get carried away, just see what is in your hosts file and possibly take out the entry that relates to asiafriends if it is there.

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Usagichanafn
26-06-2006, 07:49 AM
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

this is all my host files say...or am i in the wrong file? i went to windows/system32/drivers/etc/host is that not it?

zqwerty
26-06-2006, 09:12 AM
No that is good, it means your Hosts file is not the problem, curious.

Usagichanafn
26-06-2006, 06:31 PM
well at least that is good that is not the host files...but downside is we are back to a dead end. i just dont get it me and my dad's computer both cant access afn the only way i see that possible is because of are isp but they keep telling me its not ><"

Jen
26-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Phone your ISP back and insist on speaking to the senior in charge. Explain that you cannot ping the website from any of the computers at home, but you can access it by using a proxy. Also mention that your host file is OK.

Seems unfair, but if you think they are not taking you seriously because of your age, then get your Dad to make the call and you can feed him the information.

You might not be able to log onto your forum with the proxy as the Admin may of blocked anyone logging in while using an anonymous proxy (for security reasons).

SolMiester
26-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Just a thought, but the address hasnt been marked as a blocked/untrusted site by some software on his pc/router?

zqwerty
26-06-2006, 07:39 PM
In an effort to eliminate your computer as the faulty component; is it possible for you to take your computer to someone else's house and use their dial up (on a different ISP to yours) to see if you can then access and log on to asiafriends?

Usagichanafn
28-06-2006, 01:26 AM
In an effort to eliminate your computer as the faulty component; is it possible for you to take your computer to someone else's house and use their dial up (on a different ISP to yours) to see if you can then access and log on to asiafriends?
no my computer is not a laptop so it really cant be moved around. but as of right now i'm talking to my isp i'll tell you how that goes once i am done but still i mean i have tried everything you guys have told me it has to be coming from their end...

Usagichanafn
28-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Just a thought, but the address hasnt been marked as a blocked/untrusted site by some software on his pc/router?
no i actally have it marked as a trusted site on both are computers that was one of the first things i checked

zqwerty
28-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Then borrow someone else's dial up number using a different ISP and use it from your place.

Usagichanafn
28-06-2006, 02:23 AM
7:19:40 AMBrandon WThank you for contacting Insight Help Chat. How may I help you?

7:20:46 AMYou well its the same issue i have been dealing with for a while but i think the issue has to be coming from your end because for the past week i have tried EVERYTHING and i can see no other way

7:20:57 AMYou you see i was able to access a site at one time

7:20:59 AMYou now i cant

7:21:11 AMYou and i have done everything in the book you name it i have done it

7:21:23 AMYou but the weird thing is i can reach the site using a proxy

7:21:30 AMYou but i cant log in which dont help

7:22:01 AMYou the site is asiafriendsnetwork.com

7:22:28 AMBrandon W One moment please

7:22:36 AMYou thank you

7:31:15 AMYou oh ya before i forget i just thought i would tell you this is not my computer doing this its also my dad's his computer also can not access the site we are both using the same internet but i'm a wireless part of it. but i have checked and the site is not blocked at all one either of are computers and we use stopsign to keep virus and spyware off are computer we even shut that off for a day and we could still not access so i know its not are firewall

7:31:41 AMBrandonW One moment please.

7:52:14 AMBrandonW Ticket number 118371 has been created on this issue. We are working on the resolution.

7:57:06 AMYou umm okay so do i just come back? or will i get a email?

so ya the pretty much told me they will get a hold of me when they can -_-"

Usagichanafn
29-06-2006, 07:35 PM
do you guys think its possible that clearing the catche will help at all?

zqwerty
29-06-2006, 09:23 PM
ccleaner should have already cleaned your cache & cookies if you followed advice offered earlier.

Usagichanafn
01-07-2006, 09:03 AM
i think i only clean my cookies...but i cant remember

Usagichanafn
04-07-2006, 12:17 AM
well i was talking to my isp again today and this is what they told me:

5:43:47 AMTeAundra: The ticket is noted that the site is actually blocking
us. It has been escalated up and we're waiting for them to unblock us.

5:44:33 AMYou: well i'm talking to the owner of the site now what can he do to make it so he can unblock you guys so i can access the site

5:44:50 AMYou: because i will tell him now and he will help the best he can.

5:45:35 AMTeAundra: I'm not sure what measure need to be taken. This matter is being handled by a different department.

5:48:21 AMYou: umm*thinks* well do you know why the site could be blocking you guys

5:49:21 AMYou: because i'm able to reach the site on a proxy but i cant log in or anything

5:49:26 AMTeAundra E: We recently just change over to new servers so it probably doesn't know that we are a real internet provider.

5:50:23 AMTeAundra E: I'm sorry that I can not be of more assistance to you, but we are still working to get this matter corrected as soon as possible.

5:51:17 AMYou: its okay you guys have helped me a lot and it means a lot

5:51:46 AMTeAundra E: Is there anything else I can help you with?

5:52:22 AMYou: no,thanks agian for you help