PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2003 Server Group Policies

Dannz
11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi People
I have just installed Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise Edition onto my Server

I want to be able to have different policies for each domain group, so that i can have a restricted desktop for guests etc and full desktops for others. I need this to happen wherever the user logs into A Windows Xp Pro client or the server.

How can i do this?

berryb
11-06-2005, 07:53 PM
In Active directory setup the different domain groups as organisation units (OU) and assign a group policy to the OU. Edit the group policy with the required policy seetings. Create user accounts for the people you require in the OU and assign to a security group. When the user logs in the policy for defualt domain policy and the policy for there OU will be enforced. For futher info do a google or search the MS site. Lots of help on the net.

AlphabetSoup
11-06-2005, 07:54 PM
You may be interested in downloading Microsoft's Technet Guide for the 2003 Server.

You can download that at this site:

Microsoft Technet 2003 Server Information (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsserver2003/W2003HG/SGCH00.mspx)

Regards,

Timothy

Dannz
13-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Thankyou for your response berryb and Timothy i am going to download the Guide you suggested thanks

Dannz
13-06-2005, 06:46 PM
BerryB could you possibly explain more clearly

Growly
13-06-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure how much you've already set up, but here's a very very basic rundown:

1) Each client must be joined to the domain.
2) In active directory, create an organisational unit for each group you want to apply GPOs to. Users must be placed in each OU depending on which policy you want to effect which user.
3) Under the property for each of those OUs, you can specify the group policy to apply. Create and modify appropriate ones for each.
4) Log onto the domain from the clients with those user names :)