PDA

View Full Version : C:\ drive vs other drives

sarel
11-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I got a train simulator from a friend and want to install it, but it seems I do not have enough memory on my c:\drive - got millions on three other drives. How do I tell the installation file to extract its files to one of the other drives?

sarel

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 04:10 PM
most installs ask on install where you want to install it to. in most cases i just change c to d and let it run.

sarel
11-06-2005, 05:15 PM
There is no bl**dy choice here - it just goes to C and i wondered if there is a way of bypassing the auto install

sarel

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
with some progs you can copy the disk contents or unzip the contents to a location then run the program from there (run program not run installer).

otherwise find the manafactures and boot them up the ****!!!!!!!

AlphabetSoup
11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Copy the intsallation file to one of your other drives and then run installation again.

Regards,

Timothy

pctek
11-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I got a train simulator from a friend and want to install it, but it seems I do not have enough memory on my c:\drive - got millions on three other drives. How do I tell the installation file to extract its files to one of the other drives?

sarel
You mean room on C:. Memory is what RAM has.
You could free up some space if it insists on C: (Which seems unlikely).
In particular clear out the temp folders for a start.

sarel
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Did all of the above - no help

Can I delete the following folders from the Windows directory without causing major sh*t in XP?

Internet Logs
Prefetch

Thx

sarel

sarel
12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
*bump*

I'm desperate - sorry for the bump

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Well u can delete whats in the prefetch and internet logs folder. I wouldnt delete the folder itself tho.

E|im
12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Run the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion. Look for the value named ProgramFilesDir. By default, the value will be C:\Program Files. Edit the value to any valid drive or folder; XP will use that new location as the default installation directory for new programs.

pctek
12-06-2005, 09:00 PM
How big is the C: partition? You should always make it bigger than you think you'll need, just in case.
You could ask a programmy friend (if you know one) to make you a patch.exe to force install on another drive. I have a friend who has done that.
Or jsut be ruthless. Uninstall IE and OE (better to use the mozilla stuff anyway). You can delete fonts (not the system ones) and stuff from the Windows folder. Turn off sys restore and that will clear all the restores stored.

sarel
12-06-2005, 09:01 PM
thanks guys - will try it right now

s

sarel
12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Elim

Run the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion. Look for the value named ProgramFilesDir. By default, the value will be C:\Program Files. Edit the value to any valid drive or folder; XP will use that new location as the default installation directory for new programs.

No CurrentVersion folder, no ProgramFilesDir - I looked everywhere that Software\Microsoft\Windows was mentioned.

PCTEK

How big is the C: partition? You should always make it bigger than you think you'll need, just in case.
You could ask a programmy friend (if you know one) to make you a patch.exe to force install on another drive. I have a friend who has done that.
Or jsut be ruthless. Uninstall IE and OE (better to use the mozilla stuff anyway). You can delete fonts (not the system ones) and stuff from the Windows folder. Turn off sys restore and that will clear all the restores stored.

I've already uninstalled IE (I use FF), deleted fonts and haven't been using SysRestore for some time

Speedy

Well u can delete whats in the prefetch and internet logs folder. I wouldnt delete the folder itself tho.

What will happen if I empty those two folders?

sarel

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Can I delete the following folders from the Windows directory without causing major sh*t in XP?

Internet Logs
Prefetch

What will happen if I empty those two folders?
My Internet Logs folder is currently empty and I have no idea whether it ever has anything in it.

The Prefetch folder can be emptied and it is in fact recommended that this is done every now and then but be aware that it will soon fill up again. The purpose of it is to load your often-used programs a bit faster.

Do NOT delete the folders themselves.