PDA

View Full Version : Free antivirus Download

augustus
11-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Can anyone recogmend a good antivirus download, not just an online scan.
cheers

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2005, 03:10 PM
You could try AVG, Avirt, (Dunno how good these are, never used them). or Zonealarm, which some of the versions have a built in virus scanner.

Only thing with Zonealarm, is it'll crash (it's firewall) when u run Doom 3, if u play this, so I found out the other day

FoxyMX
11-06-2005, 03:35 PM
You could try AVG, Avirt,
I think you mean "Avast!", not Avirt.

Avast! is what I use myself and find it to be very good. I prefer it to AVG which would be my next choice.

Strommer
11-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Same as Foxy :

http://avast.com/

....better than AVG.

Scouse
11-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Steve. Curious.... ....better than AVG.. Why so? ;)

somebody
11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
some links here:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

G-Boy
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Same as Foxy :

http://avast.com/

....better than AVG.

Immm.... I'm curious too :confused: Why??

Neo_
11-06-2005, 07:54 PM
I agree, Avast! is a great and FREE antivirus program.

kjaada
11-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Have you EVER seen anyone say they have a problem with avast on this forum ?

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Have you EVER seen anyone say they have a problem with avast on this forum ?
not a good indicater exspecialy has i doubt there are many avast user compared to AVG.

btw one problem i have seen is that avast dosn't always do the program updates.

4bes
11-06-2005, 08:38 PM
I use avast on 3 computers. I've had no problems with it updating the program, and the virus definitions will update at least once a day. It's not a resource hog like the nortons I was using last year. :thumbs:

wmoore
11-06-2005, 09:12 PM
I will put another vote in for Avast as well.
I have had no problems and has auto updates.

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 09:29 PM
how many of you actually manually check the updates?

and i do mean program updates as well as def updates.
its quite comman to find the antivirus hasn't had its program updatesdone. i've seen it happen on wuite a few different antuvirus's. one reason i like avg is its auto update is a single update not dual updates like most antivirus's.

FoxyMX
11-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Steve. Curious.... ....better than AVG.. Why so? ;)
1. It hasn't stuffed up sending my emails like AVG has. To prevent problems with sending emails I have had to configure AVG's settings on several computers so far.

2. Avast! is much quicker to load and unload when scanning files with the right-clicking Windows Explorer.

3. Avast! seems to do a much deeper scan than AVG and always picks up kak.worm viruses that several of my old emails contain in archives - AVG doesn't.

4. Avast! updates itself as soon as the computer goes online, which is when it has completed booting up. On my older computer AVG is supposed to update itself when the computer goes online if it has missed an update but it doesn't. I have checked and rechecked the settings and even reinstalled but it still won't download any missed updates automatically.

5. The updates for Avast! are much smaller and are done at least twice a day and can be set for more or less often.

6. Avast! updates the program files when necessary and has not missed any yet (and yes, I do check regularly). One thing you do have to watch is that program updates should be set to update automatically otherwise you have to click on the popup box to permit it to download and install the program updates.

7. Avast! rarely needs the computer rebooted after installing the updates, AVG often requires rebooting on the Win 98 PC.

8. Avast! is very configurable as to what is scanned, more so than AVG. Not that I use that feature much as I usually scan the whole PC, but it is there if required.

9. Avast! has VRDP - "Virus Recovery Database". The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state).

The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If any file is infected by a virus, it is possible to repair it, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

10. Avast! can be completely disabled from running, unlike AVG. Granted, not many people would be bothered by this but I have often wanted the anti-virus and other programs completely disabled for various reasons and could never get rid of AVG completely without uninstalling.

11. There is a really handy little program, "avast! External Control", available for tweaking Avast! just that little bit more. It isn't installed but run from its executable file.

There was something else that I was going to say as well but have forgotten now. :rolleyes:

TonyF
11-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Foxy - you almost convince me to try Avast..... Job for tomorrow .
Tony

Strommer
12-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks Foxy - you sure saved me thinking of all the reasons why I switched from AVG to Avast!

Sleepy
12-06-2005, 01:36 AM
by the way, do you have to register Avast! with an email to use it?

pc_rekka
12-06-2005, 01:44 AM
often wondered about that Tweak'e.. I thought I was just obsessive compulsive, manually checking... I don't trust the Matrix.. there is something about it.

:)

pc_rekka
12-06-2005, 01:53 AM
:thumbs:

There was something else that I was going to say as well but have forgotten now. :rolleyes:

remembered yet FoxyMX! :lol:

1. It hasn't stuffed up sending my emails like AVG has. To prevent problems with sending emails I have had to configure AVG's settings on several computers so far.

2. Avast! is much quicker to load and unload when scanning files with the right-clicking Windows Explorer.

3. Avast! seems to do a much deeper scan than AVG and always picks up kak.worm viruses that several of my old emails contain in archives - AVG doesn't.

4. Avast! updates itself as soon as the computer goes online, which is when it has completed booting up. On my older computer AVG is supposed to update itself when the computer goes online if it has missed an update but it doesn't. I have checked and rechecked the settings and even reinstalled but it still won't download any missed updates automatically.

5. The updates for Avast! are much smaller and are done at least twice a day and can be set for more or less often.

6. Avast! updates the program files when necessary and has not missed any yet (and yes, I do check regularly). One thing you do have to watch is that program updates should be set to update automatically otherwise you have to click on the popup box to permit it to download and install the program updates.

7. Avast! rarely needs the computer rebooted after installing the updates, AVG often requires rebooting on the Win 98 PC.

8. Avast! is very configurable as to what is scanned, more so than AVG. Not that I use that feature much as I usually scan the whole PC, but it is there if required.

9. Avast! has VRDP - "Virus Recovery Database". The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state).

The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If any file is infected by a virus, it is possible to repair it, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

10. Avast! can be completely disabled from running, unlike AVG. Granted, not many people would be bothered by this but I have often wanted the anti-virus and other programs completely disabled for various reasons and could never get rid of AVG completely without uninstalling.

11. There is a really handy little program, "avast! External Control", available for tweaking Avast! just that little bit more. It isn't installed but run from its executable file.

sal
12-06-2005, 02:20 AM
I use ClamWin (http://www.clamwin.net/) because it isn't an on access scanner (one that runs in the background), rather one you use to scan files now and then. If your worried about virus' and such your probably better off getting one of the others listed above, Avast! (http://www.avast.com/eng/free_virus_protectio.html) or AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Programs/lng/us/tpl/tpl01). Is AVG still even free?

Strommer
12-06-2005, 10:41 AM
by the way, do you have to register Avast! with an email to use it?

From memory, I believe you get a free 90 trial but after that you need to register Avast! - this is free but they need to email you the registration key.

As always, use a throw-away email address, such as hotmail, instead of your main address, in case it generates spam/junk mail.

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 11:07 AM
by the way, do you have to register Avast! with an email to use it?Yes, you do, as Steve has said. From their website:

avast! 4 Home Edition is the 60 days demo after instalation. You will obtain FREE license key by E-mail after the registration. The license key is valid for 1 year. After that you are re-register to obtain new license key. In my opinion it is not a big deal and I am happy to provide my normal email address to them.

Users of AVG may remember that Grisoft required registration prior to the current Version 7 and AVG could not be used before getting the key. At least you have 60 days to try Avast! before you need to register it.

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Is AVG still even free?Yes, there is still a free Home version.

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 11:10 AM
remembered yet FoxyMX! :lol:Not yet... it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite reach it. :p

KiwiTT_NZ
12-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Avast is the best free Anti-Virus progam I have used.

The WebFilter proxy intercepts trojans and malicious scripts as well.

tweak'e
12-06-2005, 07:00 PM
well i've just been trying avast on my own pc at the mo.

unfortunatly it some of its features do not play nicly with win9x.
the email scanning is the old proxy style and so is the web scanning which slows it down heaps. thats due to it trying to access blocked sites (host file) and hangs trying to load the blocked site. the IM scanning is limited but fortunatly it does support trillian :)

the scanning by default misses a lot of files (but then again so do most av's). also it failed to scan some large zipped files (with a werid error message which you won't know about unless you look in the logs, ie it dosn't tell you it didn't scan those files unless you go find the log).

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Foxy - you almost convince me to try Avast..... Job for tomorrow .
Tony
And your verdict is? ;) :p

techie
12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
And your verdict is? ;) :p
All ANZ Online Banking Customers can download McAfree Anti-Virus and Firewall worth $AUD105 or so for free -one year subsciption included, after which you will still qualify for a special deal.

pc_rekka
13-06-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm sticking with my Avg..
I did the trial of avast last nite.. slow as custard on my pc .. wally'ed around with too much and Avg was a fiddle to restore.. usually a dream ended up having to delete all refernce to Avg, registries orphans the lot.

Only then would it install.

.. :illogical just a thought