PDA

View Full Version : PSU or Motherboard??? - I have no idea..

Agent_24
11-06-2005, 12:32 PM
after the problem I had with my PSU, as described in this thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=58722), I then got another problem a couple of hours later.

Everything was going along fine, when the computer just shut itself off.
Now I know it wasn't overheating, cpu was at 25, and the room was pretty cold too.

Anyway, I tried turning it back on, after checking the power cord. and it did nothing. so I turned the PSU off at it's switch for about 20 sec then tried again, this time the computer turned on for about 1 second then off again.

I unplugged the PSU from the mobo again (refer to other thread) at which point the high pitched whine stopped :illogical , even though the PSU was still turned on.

I replugged the PSU into the mobo and it started whining again, though I'm not sure if it's the PSU or the mobo, now.

Hit the power and it briefly turned on again, so this time I pulled the mains cord out of the PSU and then put it firmly back in. Hit the power and it bursts into life, boots and went for about an hour with no problems and no indication of problems, until I turned it off myself.

Only thing physically 'wrong' I can see is a moderate amount of dust on the mobo near the PSU connector, and a fair bit on the ram where it's come out of the CPU fan, and the only real theory I can come up with is that maybe the dust got damp (hardly impossible with the amount of moisture in the air) and shorted something out slightly...

So my next course of action will be to clean the mobo (suggestions of how would be welcome) and any other ideas that spring to mind of why it's done this would be welcome too.

Overdrive_5000
11-06-2005, 12:35 PM
You could try a new power supply cable they are pretty cheap

Myth
11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Even some power supplies are cheap (not reputable but cheap).
Do you have access to another power supply that you can swap with and test the machine?

Agent_24
11-06-2005, 03:07 PM
The PSU is the new Thermaltake 420Watt I got because I didn't really like the idea of a Geforce 6600GT running off a hyena (and I don't think it could supply enough power)..

I've cleaned the motherboard and everything appears to be running fine at the moment... I hope it stays that way :@@:

Graham L
11-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Power cords are less unreliable than they used to be. Howver, multisocket power boards are not. The cheap ones are nasty. ;) It should take appreciable force to inserrt or remove the plugs.

FoxyMX
11-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Is this the same computer that was having problems booting up (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=58607)? If so, there is something pretty wrong with it... obviously.

Agent_24
11-06-2005, 03:48 PM
No, that other one with the slow login is a friend's computer. My one is fine for logging in, I beleive there may be some hardware issue with my one.