PDA

View Full Version : Start up problem

RoyG
11-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I have a six year old Dell running W98. Recently, on switching on, the HD seems to start OK and clicks are heard from LS but computer fails to boot, leaving a dark screen. The pilot light in the on/off button is lit but pressing it or the reset button has no effect (it simply remains lit). However, on switching off at the wall plug, waiting a few secs, and then switching on again the computer boots up quite normally.

I am wondering whether this is simply the internal battery requiring replacement or an indication of something more serious, such as incipient HD failure.

Any thoughts or further suggested checks would be welcome.
Roy

Renmoo
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
...I am wondering whether this is simply the internal battery requiring replacement....
Unless your system clock keep resetting itself or the time is displayed inaccurately even though you had corrected it many times, then I don't think the problem of your Dell computer has anything to do with CMOS battery. I am not a pro in terms of hardware, so it is best to get the confirmation of other members.

Cheers :)

Myth
11-06-2005, 11:50 AM
and clicks are heard from LS
My shorthand is a bit limited... whats LS?
When the computer fails to boot, are you hearing any BIOS beep codes?
Although unlikely to be the problem you could try replacing the CMOS battery.
Have you made any hardware changes/additions lately?
Another thing you could try is swapping the power supply to see if that helps, should do.

Overdrive_5000
11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
LS stands for Light Sabre :D :p

netchicken
11-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Arn't those clicks a code as to whats wrong, sort of like computer morse?

pctek
11-06-2005, 11:51 PM
I have a six year old Dell running W98. Recently, on switching on, the HD seems to start OK and clicks are heard from LS but computer fails to boot, leaving a dark screen. The pilot light in the on/off button is lit but pressing it or the reset button has no effect (it simply remains lit). However, on switching off at the wall plug, waiting a few secs, and then switching on again the computer boots up quite normally.

I am wondering whether this is simply the internal battery requiring replacement or an indication of something more serious, such as incipient HD failure.

Any thoughts or further suggested checks would be welcome.
Roy
Dodgy power supply....

Renmoo
12-06-2005, 12:33 AM
My shorthand is a bit limited... whats LS?
Seems to me it could be "left side"

RoyG
31-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for comments - the dodgy power supply one seems to hit the mark as the computer went into rapid decline and now will not switch on at all. Have just got back with borrowed machine. Incidently, LS is Loud Speaker.

drcspy
31-07-2005, 05:33 PM
lucky you stated that all the psychics are on holiday today............how the HELL do you expect us to have understood your shorthand ?