PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Flash won't install (can't find USER32.DLL)

MajorHavok
11-06-2005, 02:22 AM
I recently got a Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop running WinXP Home. It came with IE6 which runs ok, but I've just installed the Mozilla Firefox browser and Thunderbird email client to try them out. On the ihug homepage, I noticed that it was not displaying the Flash animation in the top corner (which IE6 does), so I clicked it to download Macromedia Flash 7. However, when I try to install the downloaded Flashplayer7installer.exe, I get the following error message:

"Could not load the DLL library C:\WINDOWS\USER32.DLL. The specified module could not be found"

The only help that Macromedia gives is "Error message encountered during installation are usually due to incorrect browser settings. Please check the settings required before installation" - which is no help at all.

Mozilla has a knowledge base entry for installation issues for Flash, but does not include this error.

Does anyone know what may be causing this and how to overcome it? Thanks.

Laura
11-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Welcome to Press F1 MajorHavok.

I'm far from an expert, but I do have Firefox & mine has been configured to block flashing ads on webpages.
If yours is the same, that MAY be preventing your Flash installation from functioning. (Presumably it was an Internet Explorer download?)
Not certain which of my Firefox extensions/plugins is the relevant one you may wish to adjust, but my first guess would be to check whether you've downloaded the Adblock one - the most likely culprit, I think.
Otherwise, wait for the real experts to help...

Laura
11-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Oh dear. Re-reading your post shows me I got it wrong. It's a Firefox download that's not working...

So I guess my suggestion won't work the magic after all. Sorry.
Instead, try to download Firefox's own flash plugin, rather than the Macromedia one & see if that works..