PDA

View Full Version : 10 MS patches - one critical - for June patch Tuesday

Strommer
10-06-2005, 11:48 PM
In its advance notification message, Microsoft will make ten patches available on June 14th, at least one of which will be a Critical patch. Microsoft released its advance notification message to the Web and via e-mail alerts. Ten patches will be made available, according to the release.

The company identifies seven of the patches as ones that will focus on the Windows operating system. At least one of the security bulletins will be a Critical update. Some of the updates may require a restart. Five of the updates will be detectable with the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, and two with the Enterprise Scanning Tool.

One Moderate update for Windows and Microsoft Services for Unix will be released. An Important update for Exchange should not require a restart. And a Moderate update for the Internet Security and Acceleration Server and associated Small Business Server may require a restart.

Microsoft releases this notification so IT staff can plan their updates accordingly. The company has used the advance notification plan since November 2004. Information provided in advance may change when the actual security bulletins have been released.

:rolleyes: A recent study of enterprises using Windows and open source solutions found that Windows systems cost less to keep updated on a per-system basis.

See also the MS site (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/advance.mspx)

pctek
11-06-2005, 09:25 AM
:rolleyes: A recent study of enterprises using Windows and open source solutions found that Windows systems cost less to keep updated on a per-system basis.
[/URL]
Oh right. A little anti-unix propaganda there.
Yawn.

Myth
11-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Edit: Double post... see proper post below

Myth
11-06-2005, 10:54 AM

Go Figure...

I was going to post this info elsewhere, but the above quote made this area hard to resist...

Most people know that when Microsoft release a product, they also release the minimum or recommended hardware specs for that product.
Anyone want to guess what the required/recommended specs are for Longhorn?

Maybe this will help you...

"According to Mary Jo Foley, APC columnist and editor of Microsoft Watch, the company [Microsoft] is expected to recommend that PCs running Longhorn contain:
* dual-core CPU running at 4-6 GHz
* minimum 2 GB RAM
* up to 1 TB storage
* 1 Gb built-in Ethernet-wired port
* 802.11g wireless link
The good news is that the minimum spec required will likely be a more realistic 3GHz Pentium4 or Xeon processor, or AMD Athlon 64, Sempron, or Opteron processors; plus 512 MB RAM or more, on all platforms.
...according to Microsoft, the 'basic Aero [the new Longhorn theme] experience' (that is no 3D or transparency features) needs a card with 32 MB RAM and DirectX 9 support, plus a monitor with a minimum resolution of 1024*768. Aero Glass [3D rendering and transparencies] requires 64MB of graphics RAM (128 MB recommended), 32-bit colour, DirectX 9 support, and a high bandwidth AGP 8* or PCI Express 16-lane bus."
Quoted from APC magazines review on Longhorn ... June 05 page 76

So I guess you will have to pay lets say minimum $800 for the O/S, about another $800+ for hardware, and sweeeet... we can use Longhorn.

Or you could wander down to your local Dick Smith and walk out with a $10 copy of Linux that will work perfectly well on any hardware :D

Strommer
16-06-2005, 11:15 PM
A reminder, folks.
(If you don't have an automatic update for Windows.)

Wednesday, June 15th 2005 @ 2:13 PM PDT Designtechnica News

Microsoft has released 10 new security patches to fix new exploits. Three of the patches have been deemed as critical by Microsoft.
All ten of the patches were released as part of the monthly update schedule. The three critical patches fix problems in Windows and Internet Explorer that could potentially let hackers remotely control your PC. The bug in Internet Explorer allows web pages with malicious code stored in the form of PNG graphic files, to give a hacker remote access to your computer.Like JPG or GIF, the PNG graphic format is growing in popularity due to its high compression capabilities. Earlier this year another PNG security flaw was found exploiting vulnerabilities in Windows Media Player and MSN Messenger related products. Other bugs include a flaw in the Windows HTML help system. Look for the latest security patches to be available on the Windows Update site.

See also here (http://www.cio-today.com/news/Microsoft-Patches-10-Vulnerabilities/story.xhtml?story_id=03300000PR06)

zqwerty
17-06-2005, 12:28 AM
All updates for Win98SE and Win2KPro on my computer since last night, seems to be no problems so far.

FoxyMX
17-06-2005, 10:29 AM
While you are at it, it would pay to hop along and grab the latest Java version as well as there have been some critical security bugs patched in the latest update. This applies to Windows and Linux versions of Java.

See this page (http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5746913.html) and this one (http://secunia.com/advisories/15671/) for more information.

Strommer
17-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Foxy, how can I tell if I need to download the Java update?
I use Firefox, and Netscape as a secondary browser.

FoxyMX
17-06-2005, 11:45 AM
If you have Sun's Java installed you will find it in Control Panel. I don't have Java installed so I am not sure where exactly you need to look but it will tell you somewhere what version you have. It should be J2SE 5.0 Update 2 or 1.4.2_08 for Windows.

You can also get the program to check for updates and allow it to update itself if it needs to.

Some versions of Windows prior to SP2 had the Windows Java and if so, and you like to run Java apps, it is recommended that you download and use Sun's Java instead as it is more secure.

If you are like me and don't want to run any Java and you have the Windows version of Java you need to disable it within Internet Options in Control Panel to prevent it being exploited by malicous untrusted applets.

KiwiTT_NZ
17-06-2005, 12:19 PM
I already have Java 5.0 update 3 (http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0_03-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg) on mine.

Incidently if you go here (http://www.java.com/en/), you only get the update 2

Strommer
17-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks Foxy. Java was there in the Control Panel.