PDA

View Full Version : HDD won't detect

hoppo_8
10-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I have a Western Digital Caviar hard drive and my BIOS won't detect any of it. My BIOS is probably too old to detect it and I want to know where i can get a utility to make the BIOS recognise it.

any help appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Try updating the BIOS.

You have to find out what brand/model the motherboard is first.

How old is the system / motherboard? It maybe obselete. And there may not be any BIOS updates for it to detect bigger hdd's.

If this is the case, the only thing u can do, is replace the motherboard to a more recent/modern one. How big is this Caviar hdd? 120? 160GB?

And what version of Windows are you trying to install on this hdd?

Rob99
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Have you tried cable select

hoppo_8
10-06-2005, 01:08 PM
The HDD is a WD Caviar 80gb.
My BIOS version is: Award modular BIOS v4.51 PC

OR: Award plug and play BIOS extension v1.09

thanks

Murray P
10-06-2005, 01:25 PM
What size was the old drive? Got a date on the BIOS or an estimation of age? What brand of computer us it?

If it's just a size limitation with the BIOS, depending on the settings in there, the drive should still detect although with limited capacity. Edit: This is not necessarilly so for older systems, some BIOS's may choke and hang at POST on drives larger than: 528MB, 2.1GB, 4.2GB, 8.4GB (or may misreport disc size), 64GB (or may misreport disc size, this one can hang at POST after successful boots to a Win9x upto 98 OS) You can try an add on IDE card or as mentioned by Speedy a new motherboard, but if the machine is that old, is it worth it?

I'd look to other issues first before trying to flash my BIOS, assuming there is a update for it that addresses this.

CrazyCanuck
10-06-2005, 01:28 PM
forgive the blatently obvious ...

But is the IDE cable around the right way?
... is the power plugged in?

hoppo_8
10-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Yes the power is plugged in and the IDE cable is the right way around.

It is a Quay computers computer. BIOS is probably about 6 years old and the old drive was a quantum fireball 4.1 gb. PII 413 Mhz 256 RAM.

the HDD wont detect and the BIOS frezees.

Can I get a utility to let me use the drive ????????

CrazyCanuck
10-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Your BIOS probably needs to be updated.

Take note of the Make & Model and jump online to see if there is a bios update from the manufacturers website.

If not, your outta luck, unless you buy either an PCI IDE controller or a raid card (or both).

Murray P
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Yes the power is plugged in and the IDE cable is the right way around.

It is a Quay computers computer. BIOS is probably about 6 years old and the old drive was a quantum fireball 4.1 gb. PII 413 Mhz 256 RAM.

the HDD wont detect and the BIOS frezees.

Can I get a utility to let me use the drive ????????

WD have a drive overlay utility that loads before the OS, it might fix the problem. Put your drive model number in here (http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n) and have alook at the available tools. And have a look here (http://www.wdc.com/en/search/search.asp) for more info on drive overlay software.

Oh, and another problem that can occur, is the boot sector can become corrupted with the over 64GB limitation due to the partition(s) being incorrectly read. I think this would only happen if you managed to boot the machine though.