PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Sharing

roddy_boy
10-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi there,

I am flatting and have just got Orcon Bitstream (256k ADSL) and was wondering if there was anyway we could share the bandwidth evenly? I have a 4 port ADSL router, running one port into a 5 port switch, which then networks the 4 computers in our flat. However we sometimes find that some people seem to get priority over others, eg., sometimes when someone is downloading using a p2p application, another person wont even be able to load a web page. The modem is Realtek, info at: http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?cPath=1_22_83&products_id=334

Cheers for any help,

Roddy

qyiet
10-06-2005, 01:05 PM
QoS managment would be done at the router. So it depends on the feature set of the router you are using. My router has basic QoS built in, it does it by setting LAN ethernet ports to having higher priority than others. But it wasn't cheap.

I know that the last flat situation I heard of where that was a problem, they just unplugged people from the hub when they wanted a decent connection to play online games, or whatever.

I guess that works if the switch is in your room, and you don't really care what the others are doing.

-Qyiet

CrazyCanuck
10-06-2005, 01:15 PM
There is a kind of "Rate limiting" or "Queueing" option you could try using linux, iptables, CBQ, qdisc and tc.

I myself have a linux box acting as a ADSL Router, Caching proxy, Firewall, DNS Server.

There is of course IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org) which I believe has the same ability with a nice WEB UI.

Murray P
10-06-2005, 01:44 PM
The other problem you might strike is Telecom's changing of the exchanges from packet dropping (where data requests are dropped then resent) to queing (where data requests wait in line. Not that simple but hope that kind of gives a clue).

We noticed similar symptoms to yours after our exchange was changed over to queing. We used to share the bandwidth much more evenly, now whoever is most active at the time forces a delay or degradation on the other until the activity ceases or drops enough for the other to get a look in.

whetu
10-06-2005, 08:39 PM
recycle a second hand pc and use it as a clarkconnect (clarkconnect.org) box

it's a hefty download compared to smoothwall/ipcop/m0n0wall but it will do everything you want and more

gibler
10-06-2005, 09:14 PM
The only real way of trying to get some even sharing is to put in some sort of PC as a traffic shaping machine (e.g. a linux box running iptables).

I've managed to effectively bring web browsing to a crawl on my own machine by using non-rate limited P2P (let alone what others are up to). You have to use rules to enforce sharing by mac address, as otherwise the sheer numberews of connections that some P2P apps create will result in unfair bandwidth division.

The trouble with traffic shaping is that you can end up with horrible latency issues, as you can't control want queuing your ISP (or Telecom) are doing.

An alternative approach is to "educate" the others to limit their bandwidth, maybe by using a app such as netlimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/) (not free alas).

A final approach is to bang on the door and demand to know what the @#@! they are doing :thumbs:

roddy_boy
10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone. So basically there is no easy, cheap (read free) solution? Bugger!!! Oh well everyone here uses limewire so i just ask them to limit it when other people want to use the internet and its a bit of a hassle but it seems to work fine.
Just out of curiosity I was wondering exactly how the bandwidth gets shaped? Is it on a first in first served basis? Or is this topic so far ahead of me that i cant even comprehend what im asking?

Thanks again for the responses,
Roddy