PDA

View Full Version : Online Webpage Tester?

andrew93
09-06-2005, 10:12 PM
I remember reading a number of threads (but can't find them) where posters asked for opinions on their websites and the respondents suggested they try another website that tests your webpage for 'bugs' or 'mistakes'. Does anyone know the url of any such online webpage testers?
Thanks,
Andrew

somebody
09-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I think there's a validator of some sort at www.w3.org

Jen
09-06-2005, 10:17 PM
http://validator.w3.org/

andrew93
09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the links - that's exactly what I was after. BTW, 6 errors isn't too bad for 1st attempt is it?
Cheers, A

ad_267
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
If you use CSS you should also validate that at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Rob99
09-06-2005, 11:23 PM
If you have firefox, it has a plugin that sits on the status bar and tells you instantly.

Be glad you didnt code this page (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Rob99-validator.gif)

andrew93
10-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Do you know which plug-in that is Rob? I have a few useful plug-ins installed on FF but not that one.

Speaking of errors, I ran the xtramsn page through it and it came back with, how shall I say this, quite a few errors. Interstingly, the Google webpage has a few too (much less than Xtra).

Thanks for the link but I'm not using CSS (or tables :D ).

bob_doe_nz
10-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Funnily enough, Microsoft is A-OK
I find that the worst part of designing websites is when you rip someone elses and use it as your own. Sooo many errors

Rob99
10-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Do you know which plug-in that is Rob?
This is it (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Developer%20Tools&numpg=10&id=249)

Greg
10-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I can't understand the usefulness of these silly validators. I create websites constantly (Dreamweaver MX) and they all function perfectly under the four most common browsers, but sometimes have a raft of errors if "validated". :confused:

FoxyMX
10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
That is because most browsers are fault-tolerant to a certain degree even if your code is not strictly standards compliant which is what the validators are testing for. Your "errors" are probably fairly minor which would be why the pages function in all browsers.

Satisfying the validators is a good goal to aim for but sometimes pages do still look slightly different in other browsers even if the code is fully compliant.

Greg
10-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Satisfying the validators is a good goal to aim for but sometimes pages do still look slightly different in other browsers even if the code is fully compliant.

That sounds like a logical explanation... thx.

Under all the browsers I check with, they're all almost identical, without any apparent difference being anything more than tiny cosmetics.

But I wonder if operating systems also have any significance on what's displayed by their users' browsers?

FoxyMX
10-06-2005, 02:40 PM
But I wonder if operating systems also have any significance on what's displayed by their users' browsers?
Yes and no. It is the browser that is interpreting and displaying the code, not the operating system BUT if you have ever played around with Linux then you will know that Linux does not have the same fonts as Windows unless they are specifically installed. Even then I have found that websites and pages still look quite a bit different in Linux to Windows even when using the same browser, eg Opera. By different I mean the text and lines are heavier and thicker or a different size, that sort of thing. The page layout is still the same.

Also, webpage functions that rely on Java or Active X won't work if those features are disabled or not installed, but that happens in Windows, not just Linux, of course.

Other than that there should be no difference what OS is being used, the pages should still look the same.

Greg
10-06-2005, 02:50 PM
So.. Mac using Netscape or IE and Linux using Netscape or IE and Linux using Netscape or IE will render the same page the same visual represenation to their users? (dependant naturally on user settings)

FoxyMX
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Linux using Netscape or IE and Linux using Netscape or IE
OMG... you had better start running, Greg! :eek: :D :lol:

But yes, that's pretty much the gist of it. :thumbs:

andrew93
10-06-2005, 06:06 PM
This is it (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Developer%20Tools&numpg=10&id=249)
Thanks Rob. Works fine. :thumbs:

sookie_72
10-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Funnily enough, Microsoft is A-OK
I find that the worst part of designing websites is when you rip someone elses and use it as your own. Sooo many errors

lovely pictures bob_doe. felt a twinge of nostalgia and had to go outside and beat myself with a piece of firewood.

How did you morph out the rain clouds?

sookie

CreightonBrown
11-06-2005, 01:55 AM
There is different sorts of Testers:

1 Code Testing: HTML, XHTML, CSS, Maybe Even JavaScript [Found a windows application once]
2 Usability Testing: Compliance to regulations, user friendlyness in non official sense
3 Functionality Testing: Does it perform its function?
Do Links work? Do Emails Work? Do Forms Work?

The third is more critical, the second is good if you want to support a large amount of traffic or comply to standard for government or say larger businesses.

The first to me seems less critical.

When was the last time you went to a leading firm and they boasted how they were 'W3c standards compliant'. For the average punter it may feel like and achivement, it may work better.... but thats a less sellable for me to know that it gained a few percent compatibility when it might be offset that the time spent there may have been better used elsewhere

There is probably more categorisation that can be made, in reality the whole issue could go into a thesis in itself or even part of it [by the appropriate student].

I am working on a functionality tester myself: www.linkcheck.co.nz (http://www.linkcheck.co.nz)